2012 London Olympics Thread

BigMac12

Roger Waters apparently destroyed his standing somewhat by doing a god-awful tour of The Wall earlier this year.

Some of that Closing Ceremony was SO weird. Russell Brand sings 'I Am The Walrus' whilst dressed as Willy Wonka standing atop a VW Camper, which then transforms into an inflatable octopus whilst Fatboy Slim DJs. A human cannonball skit to the sound of ELO segwaying into Eric Idle & some roller blading nuns singing 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' which then sort of morphed into comedy Bollywood number :wacko:

The hell were they smoking?

That's what I'd like to know. The whole show was a disappointment. Given our musical heritage you wouldn't think it'd be difficult to put together a decent show, but no, we had to endure that crap.

Spice Girl..Take That..Pet Shop Boys and George Michael? I thought this was London 2012 not London 1996.

~~~

On a completely separate note (away from the awful logo and mediocre shows), the Games themselves have been absolutely amazing. Its a shame its all over. Any objections for us putting a bid in for the Games of '24? ;)

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the East Coast get to see the Who? Because what I got after the flame went out was a preview of NBC's new trash animal hospital show and the local news for two hours. After the flame went out, Bob Costas told me that we'd return to London to see the Who's closing performance... after said animal show... then I got the news... dumb. Whatever, NBC.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

And Pele makes an appearance in the Rio 2016 preview portion of the ceremony. No doubt he's an early favorite to be the cauldron-lighter at their opening ceremony.

Even if he is still living, he should not as he really has no Olympic connection. De Lima does...

Wayne Gretzky had no olympic connection and he was a torch lighter in 2010.

He played for Canada at the 1998 Nagano Olympics...

http://www.canada.co...mes/2389202.bin

Poop.

On a separate note, why the hell is Lindros captain over Gretzky?

And Pele makes an appearance in the Rio 2016 preview portion of the ceremony. No doubt he's an early favorite to be the cauldron-lighter at their opening ceremony.

Even if he is still living, he should not as he really has no Olympic connection. De Lima does...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiA4JfOiLgY&feature=related

Sailor Robert Scheidt must be another candidate, if Brazil doesn't go a similar route to London (Which could yet prove to be a cool precedent).

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Pele is not just the most famous athlete from Brazil, he is the most famous Brazilian. Plus it is not his fault Soccer was not an Olympic sport back than, and his success on World Cup rosters makes him familiar on the world scene.

BTW Rio is a great place for 2016, and is in our basic Time Zone if NBC does not show things live its time to get pitchforks and torches.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

My lasting memory of Chad Johnson's career is the time someone tried interviewing him while he was visibly concussed: he mumbled his way through answers, unsure of his surroundings, till calling over to Hue Jackson "HUUUUUUUUU!"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My lasting memory of Chad Johnson's career is the time someone tried interviewing him while he was visibly concussed: he mumbled his way through answers, unsure of his surroundings, till calling over to Hue Jackson "HUUUUUUUUU!"

Thats what Betsy Ross said

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Pele is not just the most famous athlete from Brazil, he is the most famous Brazilian. Plus it is not his fault Soccer was not an Olympic sport back than, and his success on World Cup rosters makes him familiar on the world scene.

BTW Rio is a great place for 2016, and is in our basic Time Zone if NBC does not show things live its time to get pitchforks and torches.

Soccer's been in the Olympics since 1900.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Soccer's been in the Olympics since 1900.

Indeed. One could say its Pele's fault he became a pro soccer player, and made himself ineligible.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Did the East Coast get to see the Who? Because what I got after the flame went out was a preview of NBC's new trash animal hospital show and the local news for two hours. After the flame went out, Bob Costas told me that we'd return to London to see the Who's closing performance... after said animal show... then I got the news... dumb. Whatever, NBC.

Yeah, people were raging on twitter. Olympics closing ceremony until 11pm, and hour of "Animal Hospital" then back to the ceremony for the Who, at midnight. Who would seriously wade through the pile of rubble that is Animal Hospital only to witness Roger Daltrey struggle to hear his own monitor?

Yeah, people were raging on twitter. Olympics closing ceremony until 11pm, and hour of "Animal Hospital" then back to the ceremony for the Who, at midnight. Who would seriously wade through the pile of rubble that is Animal Hospital only to witness Roger Daltrey struggle to hear his own monitor?

That Animal Hospital show was flat out monkey dung terrible.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

After hearing all this, it makes me all the more glad I spent that time watching Beavis and Butt-Head Do America on MTV2 instead.

I have to give London credit, they did a wonderful hosting the games, but I hate to see the poor saps who have to clean up the mess after the games and what will become of the arenas now (I remember hearing that after all of that stuff was built in Beijing and Athens, they were like ghost towns or something...)

Now the next games are the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.... I know it's on the Black Sea, but where exactly is Sochi?

Well, you've correctly identified that it's in Russia and on the Black Sea. Would you like the coordinates?

I'm guessing a soccer team will move into the stadium. I heard Tottenham Hotspur was supposed to, but don't they have a pretty famous stadium already?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, you've correctly identified that it's in Russia and on the Black Sea. Would you like the coordinates?

I'm guessing a soccer team will move into the stadium. I heard Tottenham Hotspur was supposed to, but don't they have a pretty famous stadium already?

West Ham was the front runner.

But from what I read, since London lacks a top track and field stadium, they're just going to keep it publicly funded, as they're hosting the 2017 World Track and Field Championships.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I believe it's West Ham United that will move into Olympic Stadium. When, though, I'm not sure.

Wayne Gretzky had no olympic connection and he was a torch lighter in 2010.

He played for Canada at the 1998 Nagano Olympics...

http://www.canada.co...mes/2389202.bin

Poop.

On a separate note, why the hell is Lindros captain over Gretzky?

That's a damn good question. In fact, that's probably the second most asked question behind 'Why didn't Gretzky get a chance in the semi-final shootout against the Czech Republic?'

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

After hearing all this, it makes me all the more glad I spent that time watching Beavis and Butt-Head Do America on MTV2 instead.

I have to give London credit, they did a wonderful hosting the games, but I hate to see the poor saps who have to clean up the mess after the games and what will become of the arenas now (I remember hearing that after all of that stuff was built in Beijing and Athens, they were like ghost towns or something...)

Now the next games are the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.... I know it's on the Black Sea, but where exactly is Sochi?

Most of the seating for the swimming venue were designed to be deconstructed afterwards. The arena for water polo, and basketball are going to be deconstructed as well. The Copper Box, Velodrome and field hockey stadium will all be retained. Olympic Stadium last I had read has four bidders to take it over.

Speaking of Sochi if anyone is into building design, there are a couple of structures going up for the Sochi 2014 that are really sharp.

I think locog are retaining the ownership of the stadium and are in the process of making a decision about who will lease the stadium. West Ham are still interested, but Spurs aren't.

According to Wikipedia, there are four groups bidding for it.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Most of the seating for the swimming venue were designed to be deconstructed afterwards. The arena for water polo, and basketball are going to be deconstructed as well. The Copper Box, Velodrome and field hockey stadium will all be retained. Olympic Stadium last I had read has four bidders to take it over.

Speaking of Sochi if anyone is into building design, there are a couple of structures going up for the Sochi 2014 that are really sharp.

Supposedly the basketball arena is not only going to be dismantled, but then shipped in pieces to Rio and reassembled there for 2016.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived