2012 London Olympics Thread

BigMac12

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Refusing to play for an hour is ridiculous. An apology should have been issued, but that's about it. I really think after holding up the game that North Korea should've been disqualified. It's embarrassing

Don't think so. That was an embarrassment, and to confuse two countries who are technically still at war? You think the US team would rush out on to the field if the North Korean flag were put up in place of ours?

Oh, and we've already had some controversy and wackiness in London 2012.

Elsewhere in women's soccer:

North Korea's women's soccer team refused to take the field for its first Olympics match after an enormous diplomatic faux pax saw the flag of South Korea displayed alongside the players' names on the scoreboard at Hampden Park in Glasgow, Scotland.

And a female Greek athlete has earned the dubious distinction of being the first to get tossed from an Olympic Games over an ill-advised tweet:

Greece's triple-jump champion was expelled from the Olympics after posting a tasteless tweet about Africans and the West Nile virus.

Hellenic Olympic Committee officials announced Voula Papachristou wouldn't travel to London after she tweeted a joke about African immigrants.

1.) Ok. Flags mishaps will happen, but LOL at the North Koreans for going on such a fit over that.

2.) The tweet was in bad taste, but I don't think that warranted her banishment.

I saw, I came, I left.

No, but I think that at some point you have to realize it's likely an honest mistake (no matter how much you plan, some times these things happen) and get on with the actual game rather than looking like petulant children sulking in your room for an hour. Mind you, based on previous events, I'm not sure that the North Koreans are capable of doing that.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Totally miniscule detail, but I'm very happy NBC's Olympics graphics are consistent with what they have for all their other sports, just with a special "Olympic gold" touch to them. It always bothered me when NBC came up with a completely new graphics package for the Olympics just to never use it again afterwards

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

So who do you think lights the cauldron tonight?

I'm thinking either Roger Bannister or a member of the royal family.

I would go with Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II herself.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I thought it was an unwritten rule that political figures are not allowed to light the torch.

The only one I can think of that did was at Lillehammer in '94 and Prince Haakon of Norway has been pretty active sports, so I would doubt it would be the Queen.

If I had to take a guess as to who would light the torch I would probably go with Steve Redgrave. Won five gold medals in rowing in five different Olympics but isn't that well known outside of Britain, and has a pretty inspirational life story as well. Overcome multiple illnesses to participate in the Olympics. I think if your looking to promote a great athlete that could also really use that type of publicity to get better established on a worldwide scale and has the track record to be more then deserving of that kind of honor, that wouldn't be a bad choice.

2012 is going to be a big drop off for Canada from Vancouver. No more winning gold medals all willy-nilly or being in contention for pretty much every event. It seems my heart won't grow three times in size with national pride this time around. I believe we've set our goal for 20 medals, which I think is definitely within reach.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Canada can finish in the Top 12. It is their goal, and I think it's possible. I mean they're never any guaranteed medals in the Olympics, but at least in Vancouver they were favored in events. Closest thing to a Gold for us is Dylan Armstrong in shotput and maybe Despatie in diving.

I have confidence!!!

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived