danmerz

USFL IS BACK!

It could really help them further their careers if there was a legitimate minor league in place. No arena and Canadian football don't count. Every other major sports league (MLB, NHL, and NBA) has a minor league system, if done correctly it could be successful. Not to mention there is a void from Feb-Aug without a high level of football.

I hope your "Canadian football doesn't count" comment only means that the CFL is not a de facto minor league for the NFL. They are different styles of the same sport, and I'll thank you not to trash one.

Yes the CFL and Arena leagues are not minor league equivalents to the NFL. To me this NFL situation is similar to the NBA. For college basketball players they have a few options. They can end up playing in the NBA, D-League, or somewhere in Europe. I see European basketball as a good comparison for CFL.

It's a shame that the NFL doesn't develop their own offseason minor league. Unless a league is supported by the NFL, people just won't follow it. But if you put it in the offseason and had 3rd and 4th stringers along with practice squad players, there might be some interest because people want to see the future. The issue is that the NFL is basically a 12 month league with OTA's, minicamp and training camp. You would have to fit in a small number of games in a short schedule. The other issue is those players recovering in time to join their clubs for training camp. These guys need some time to heel.

NFL Europe and the World League were both failures. It's not worth it financially.

It's a shame that the NFL doesn't develop their own offseason minor league. Unless a league is supported by the NFL, people just won't follow it. But if you put it in the offseason and had 3rd and 4th stringers along with practice squad players, there might be some interest because people want to see the future. The issue is that the NFL is basically a 12 month league with OTA's, minicamp and training camp. You would have to fit in a small number of games in a short schedule. The other issue is those players recovering in time to join their clubs for training camp. These guys need some time to heel.

They already outsourced that project to the NCAA.

In all honesty, the NCAA provides such a big talent pool annually that there's very little incentive for the NFL to develop an in-house farm club. You've got 80ish colleges all playing major big time football, plus another 80 or so mid-majors that compete in FBS. Add in FCS, plus potential D-II and D-III recruits and you're talking about literally hundreds of available juniors and seniors every single draft.

Sure there are busts, but that would happen with a home-brew league, too. Why spend the money, time and effort when your scouts can just watch ESPN and a bunch of game film on college kids?