Infographic Poster of Sports Team Names

creativelysain

Did this a while back and wanted some feedback on it. I'm sure there are some better options for certain names, I just wanted to see what you guys thought about it. It contains NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, MLS and WNBA nicknames.

Hierarchy-of-Sports-Teams.gif

Then some of my other work I've done recently:

http://jordansaindesign.blogspot.com/

This is great!

Few thoughts:

I'm amused that three fifths of my home town teams (Dallas) can be found under old west.

You might want to add a line between birds and birds of prey, right now birds of prey is only indirectly connected via Ravens.

Also, I can't find FC anywhere, for FC Dallas and Toronto FC. If its not there, maybe it can be added under Gamers, as FC or Football Club (FC) or something. Or maybe I just missed it.

Great work all the same.

Looks great! Interesting to see how you categorized these. I wonder how many variants we'd get if others did the same, since several names might not neatly fit in a single category.

Are you missing a branch connecting Carnivore to Prehistoric? It looks like the Raptors are either floating out on their own, or a branch of Cat.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Yeah it was really tough trying to fit each name and connect it if possible. I probably messed up Raptors and should move it up and connect it directly with Carnivores and off-shoot it with Pre-historic. See, this is why I need you guys following up on this type of thing instead of my wife, lol.

I've seen something like this online, a poster for sale, but your categories are more detailed and complex. Kudos.

One correction--the Indiana Pacers are not named for pace cars, as is popularly believed, but were so named in hope that the team would become the "pacesetters" of the league. That could be in theory extended metaphorically to pace cars, but it's your call.

Silver Stars could also be under Celestial.

rATMcmK.png

Yeah it was really tough trying to fit each name and connect it if possible. I probably messed up Raptors and should move it up and connect it directly with Carnivores and off-shoot it with Pre-historic. See, this is why I need you guys following up on this type of thing instead of my wife, lol.

Raptors could also come under Reptiles.

rATMcmK.png

Blues are a sound (like Jazz), not a colour.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Blues are a sound (like Jazz), not a colour.

They're connected to sounds and colors. Whatever the nickname may refer to, blue is a color.

My bad, missed the sound connection line.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Archived