Kevin's MLB 2.0

kevinmets

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the new look for the Astros. Logos look great, and while I prefer the blue and orange, I commend you for taking the navy and gold route.

Two suggestions:

Front numbers (as dsaline suggested).

Sleeve piping that matches the pants piping. The sleeves are way too plain right now.

Good concept, but I have a few critiques:

• Make the gold more "gold". This looks more like a gross shade of mustard yellow than metallic gold
  • Add front numbers and piping to all jerseys
  • The scripts would look a lot cleaner if they only had one outline. I'd make it just go navy-gold on the primaries (without the middle white outline) and have it go gold-white on the navy alt (without the middle navy outline).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

LOVE the secondary logo and alt hat. The whole idea is perfect for the Astros, never would have thought of it myself. Agreed with BigBubba on the shade of gold, but I don't think the jerseys need front numbers or piping if you don't want them. I think they are just as good without them. Finally, I don't like the white outline on the navy alt, it makes the script and numbers look a little off. Navy or no outline at all would look better IMO. Another fantastic concept!

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

• 3 weeks later...

San Diego Padres ? 4.10

Diamondbacks ? 6/10

Miami Marlins ? 9/10

Blue Jays ? 8/10

Yankees ? 9/10

Mariners ? 6/10

Mets ? 10/10

Athletics ? 10/10

Nationals ? 10/10

Rangers ? 5/10

Rockies ? 8/10

Cardinals -10/10

Astros ? 4/10

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

• 1 month later...

14. Chicago Cubs

2012Cubs.jpg

Changes:

• Overhaul, rooted in their current identity.
  • New primary, secondary, cap & script logos.
  • New alt jersey & cap
  • Removal of red outline from all NNOB
  • National League logo patch on right sleeve of all jerseys

The Cubs to me have the 2nd most boring identity in MLB (ahead of only the new Padres set). Plus the current "classic" look clearly hasn't brought them a lot of luck... it's time for a change!

That looks great Kevin. The new primary looks great, and doesn't mess up the wordmarks at all. I've never seen a Cubs concept where someone hasn't used pinstripes, and I must say that the Cubs look a lot better without the pinstripes. The one thing I don't like is the National League patch on the sleeve. That should go, and you should just put the singular bear head on the sleeve instead. Overall, I give it a 9.5/10.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

This is a really cool and adventurous Cubs concept. Good job overhauling an old set that clearly hasn't brought much luck while not totally changing the brand. I agree on the removal of the NL patch in favor of the stand-alone cub head. Also, on the home jersey in particular, but really on all the jerseys with the script, try getting rid of the blue outline around the whole script and instead outline each individual letter in blue, because the outline around the whole thing makes it look too bulky. The blue alt is fantastic, and overall a really nice set. 8.5/10

Cohenj.png

14. Chicago Cubs

2012Cubs.jpg

Changes:

• Overhaul, rooted in their current identity.
  • New primary, secondary, cap & script logos.
  • New alt jersey & cap
  • Removal of red outline from all NNOB
  • National League logo patch on right sleeve of all jerseys

The Cubs to me have the 2nd most boring identity in MLB (ahead of only the new Padres set). Plus the current "classic" look clearly hasn't brought them a lot of luck... it's time for a change!

omg%20cat.jpg

mcbqza.jpg

Loving that Nats concept, they cant look any better! As for the Cubs concept it still looks good but I find it will look better if you remove the blue outline from the script. Other then that terrific job so far on this series!

14o81a1.jpg9qgwba.jpg

While I'm messing with classic-look teams...

15. Detroit Tigers

2012Tigers.jpg

Changes:

• New road & home alt scripts
  • Orange-brimmed cap used for all jerseys. I tried pairing different caps with the roads but I found everything looked best with this cap.
  • Orange trim on home jersey
  • New home & road alts
  • New primary logo, as borrowed (stolen) from Bmac, forever ago. This is exactly what they should be using... I could conceivably come up with my own rendering of something similar, but it would just look like a ripoff.
  • Primary logo sleeve patch
  • New alt logo (tiger head)
  • One standardized "D" logo for everything

The Tigers' identity has some of the coolest elements (Old English, navy & orange, a freaking tiger), yet they play 81 games a year in that drab 19th century uniform for the sake of tradition. Well no longer!

This is one of your best sets. I LOVE almost this entire set, especially the blue alt. The new scripts also look great. The one thing I would recommend would be to use the orange-brimmed cap for the two alternates and use a blue-brimmed one for the primaries, or vice versa. I just think that with all the new stuff you added in the set, I think it could use a second cap somewhere in the set. Other than that small detail, really great job.

Cohenj.png

Archived