Browns Facemask

Maxwell70

Grey looks good on the Giants. I'd prefer navy for the Cowboys and black for the Raiders, but I can deal with grey. Doesn't look good on any of the other teams. It looks especially bad on the Browns, 49ers.

Grey is a neutral color, but it is NOT the neutral facemask color. This isn't 1970. Facemasks are colored at the manufacturing level, not painted by the equipment manager. Teams should wear grey facemasks no more than they should wear tan pants. What once was necessary due to logistics no longer is.

Some teams should wear tan pants, too. Only clowns and hipsters wear brightly colored pants.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been partial to the grey facemask, but just saw this picture tweeted by Paul Lukas. Is the white coming back?

http://t.co/7f1nnQaz

Please let this be legit. I miss the white facemask so much. It looks SO much better than the grey facemask.

I like gray facemasks, I dislike when there's too much contrast, everytime I see a colts pic with the blue facemask I just think 90's and AstroTurf. The cardinals are the only team that I think would look better with a colored facemask, but even at that I don't know which color would look best. I wouldn't mind the chiefs switching to gray either but the white works for them.

Teams that could and should NOT wear grey facemasks in my humble opinion:

Saints Bears Cowboys 49ers

Colts Steelers Patriots Broncos

Falcons Packers Redskins Seahawks

Jaguars Ravens Bills Raiders

Panthers Lions Eagles Cardinals

Titans Bengals Jets Chargers

Buccaneers Vikings Giants Rams

Texans Browns Dolphins Chiefs

That's 7 out of the 32 teams. And you know what? They all feature gray (or silver) in their color scheme.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

No doubt. Make it brown, orange or white. The grey facemask fad is exceptionally bad in pretty much every case in which it's been applied.

This means you, Buffalo, Indianapolis and San Francisco.

What he said...and Arizona too

KISSwall09.jpg

I can see where people would have a problem with, say, the Cardinals, using a grey mask, but the Browns still have the same basic look they had when grey masks were standard. I prefer the white masks on the Browns, but I can't say I have a beef with them using grey. Wouldn't mind if my Packers started using them either.

The thing with the Colts is that there already wasn't nearly enough blue on those helmets as it was before Peyton Manning championed that change (and the move to black cleats, in honor of Johnny Unitas?comendable on principle, not so much for aesthetics); in current guise, there's that much less blue?which, coincidentally, is precisely why blue pants wouldn't work (I know they've done it before; that's also what I base my opinion on).

But anyway, back to the topic at hand...I'd really prefer yeams not go gray unnecessarily, but I will make an exception for the Browns on one condition: they eliminate white pants completely (except for use with a throwback alt), and rediscover orange pants, home and away. It'll help hide the gray much better.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Sorry but the white facemask is a downgrade... big time. Usually I hate teams using non-team colors or non-team logos/designs, but the gray facemask in football is the exception. Any team with a traditional, classic uniform looks hundreds upon thousands of times better than with a team colors facemask. The Colts, Giants, and Browns look great with gray face masks. However, a modern team like the Cardinals look terrible. I hate when teams don't at least match the helmet. The patriots with their gray helmet and red facemask look like a cartoon character.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I really never noticed that the Browns had switched to a grey facemask (I guess 2006, correct?). But now comparing the two, the white facemask looks so much better on their plain orange helmet. I think if there was a logo, the classic grey one would work. But for some reason the white one seems to work a whole lot nicer on that helmet.

Sorry but the white facemask is a downgrade... big time. Usually I hate teams using non-team colors or non-team logos/designs, but the gray facemask in football is the exception. Any team with a traditional, classic uniform looks hundreds upon thousands of times better than with a team colors facemask. The Colts, Giants, and Browns look great with gray face masks. However, a modern team like the Cardinals look terrible. I hate when teams don't at least match the helmet. The patriots with their gray helmet and red facemask look like a cartoon character.

Gray is a million times better than white. The white facemasks used to stick out, because they were so much brighter. Saying a classic team can't wear a grey facemask, is like saying a classic team can't wear black shoes. How many NFL teams used to wear black shoes? Cleveland, Green Bay, New York Giants? Do any of them have black in their color schemes?? The facemask should always stay gray, and never be white again. It just looks terrible and doesn't fit.

The thing with the Colts is that there already wasn't nearly enough blue on those helmets as it was before Peyton Manning championed that change (and the move to black cleats, in honor of Johnny Unitas—commendable on principle, not so much for aesthetics); in current guise, there's that much less blue—which, coincidentally, is precisely why blue pants wouldn't work (I know they've done it before; that's also what I base my opinion on).

>>>>

I find it amazing that you or others do not like the Colts in blue pants and feel they don't work for them. <_<

I saw them play in them in 1995, the season they wore them, when Indy came to Rich Stadium, and with those black shoes and those particular socks that uniform-set looked absolutely spectacular!!!

People who were sitting around us were all raving at how awesome the Colts new-look appeared, and these were all Bills fans . In the sunlight at the 1 pm kickoff they were at their finest, and those socks and black shoes just totally complimented the look.

I was sorry they abandoned that away look after just one season.

It's too bad a team like say the Cards, Bills, Colts, etc, couldn't wear a colored face-mask on the road when wearing the white jersey, and wear their present gray-colored mask at home when wearing their colored jersey. Face-masks look pretty interchangeable.

As I stated prior, the Bills blue face-mask looked terrible with the blue home jersey, but when on the road in white the colored mask looked good on the white helmets.

▼ Colts at Bills ▼

17-Sep-1995

colts_bluepants1995.jpg

▼Buffalo at LA Rams ▼

. . . . (Anaheim, CA)

27-Nov-1983

with the blue face-masks

* BILLS would have looked much better in black shoes, and socks similar to the Colts photo (IMO)

bills_at_LArams.png

too many of you guys base your color preferences on aesthetics alone, without thinking about what these design decisions actually "say". its rarely about what 1 person may think looks good on a helmet by itself. the Browns are an old school brand. they want to reflect in their current uniforms what they had back in the Jim Brown days. thats why you do grey mask and black shoes. same for Indy. its appropriate, as well as aesthetically pleasing (depending on who you ask)

the reason it dosent work for Arizona is because they're playing in a brand new stadium with a very modern uniform, and a very modern logo. the grey face mask is out of place; it will always be an element that takes you back to the 1960/70s.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Grey looks good on the Giants. I'd prefer navy for the Cowboys and black for the Raiders, but I can deal with grey. Doesn't look good on any of the other teams. It looks especially bad on the Browns, 49ers.

Grey is a neutral color, but it is NOT the neutral facemask color. This isn't 1970. Facemasks are colored at the manufacturing level, not painted by the equipment manager. Teams should wear grey facemasks no more than they should wear tan pants. What once was necessary due to logistics no longer is.

>>>

Black face-mask on the Raiders? Yikes!! They have stuck to tradition since 1963, silver mask forever me thinks.

The only thing I'd like to see from the Raiders is a change back to the silver numbers that they wore on their white away jerseys in 1963 and 1970. NOT the 2009 faux throwbacks with that thick black outline. They need somewhat of a thicker black outline so they can be seen better, but in 2009 for AFL-50 they got a bit carried away.

These silver numbers they wore on their white throwbacks for NFL-75 in 1994 with the 1963 logo in the photo below looked brilliant!!

raider94.jpg

San Diego at Oakland

14-Sep-2009

09000d5d812a2a54_gallery_600.jpg

The argument that, "hey these teams are just sticking to their classic look" can be thrown out the window considering all of these teams switched from colored/white facemasks back to grey.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

The way I see it is if you do not have the color grey in your color scheme then you should not be using a grey facemask. The idea of teams using a grey facemask just to stick to what there old team looked like is dumb. I don't see teams wearing brown helmets and tan pants with their normal uniform. Grey is not a neutral color when all the other colors on the uniform are completely different. I would prefer that the teams use colors from their color scheme on all parts. Browns should use brown or white, Colts should use white, 49ers should use red, Cardinals should use red or white, and the Bills should use white.

Archived