White Sox Road Jerseys

rmackman

They could always tweak this 80s logo using black and silver, this always was a cool looking logo I thought.

ng17g1dlk51e4x26nynvzj9w8.gif

That logo and script are both very of their time, and have no business being integrated into their current identity.

I just noticed the sideways home plates in the negative spaces of the "X".

Wow, I'd never seen that before either

That logo is so bad, it's their worst logo of their entire history. Looks like a road sign or a character from South Park. Almost all of their logos throughout their history have a nice classic old school look to them, this logo sticks out like a sore thumb, just doesn't work, same can be said about the uniforms that went with them.

now the 1917 uniforms are a thing of beauty.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could always tweak this 80s logo using black and silver, this always was a cool looking logo I thought.

ng17g1dlk51e4x26nynvzj9w8.gif

That logo and script are both very of their time, and have no business being integrated into their current identity.

>>>>

Maybe so, but when the SOX won the World Series in '05 down in Houston I saw more of their fans wearing old team apparel with that logo than even their current ones while celebrating near the Chicago dugout. I was quite surprised by that.

With a few tweaks, this would be an awesome logo. The way he's leaning over right now looks awful. a full body profile may help here, along with the colour change. I'm personally a fan of this logo from 1932-35:

7148.gif

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Seriously though, in the real version of this White Sox logo, I always thought the little AOL man was clearly looking at a called third strike.

5551771470_d86fd5f514.jpg

Maybe it's "inside" though. There really was no depth perception in the 80's, was there?

FWIW, I remember reading that the Sox went from the diamond logo to the script logo on the sleeves in an effort to make the jersey more immediately identifiable as a White Sox jersey. It's why the alt logo is still used on the black jerseys, since that has "SOX".

Doesn't make it any less stupid, though.

Correct. Before last season Brooks Boyer, Sox VP and Chief Marketing Officer, announced the change to improve the brand identity of the road jersey. There was a pretty big uproar amongst Sox fans that still smolders today. Basically, Brooks passed Marketing 101 with the move but annoyed a large number of Sox fans- including me- who thought the "diamond sock" was a great alternate logo.

FWIW, I remember reading that the Sox went from the diamond logo to the script logo on the sleeves in an effort to make the jersey more immediately identifiable as a White Sox jersey. It's why the alt logo is still used on the black jerseys, since that has "SOX".

Doesn't make it any less stupid, though.

Correct. Before last season Brooks Boyer, Sox VP and Chief Marketing Officer, announced the change to improve the brand identity of the road jersey. There was a pretty big uproar amongst Sox fans that still smolders today. Basically, Brooks passed Marketing 101 with the move but annoyed a large number of Sox fans- including me- who thought the "diamond sock" was a great alternate logo.

I get it, but its harder to get more identifiable as a White Sox jersey than by having an actual white sock on the sleeve. I too love the diamond sock logo. The jerseys don't like right without it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Count me in with favoring the diamond sock logo.

This is the equivalent to football teams having the logo on the Helmet, Sleeve, and again on the pants stripe. It's just overkill...

As much as I hate this decision, I don't think they're equivalent. The White Sox want their most significant logo on the road jerseys, which are worn without any other team identifiers by people on the street.

Football teams don't sell helmets and pants for fan wear, there's no good reason for repeating those logos ad infinitum on the uniform.

The White Sox want their most significant logo on the road jerseys, which are worn without any other team identifiers by people on the street.

Little problem with that: I would wager that far more fans buy replica jerseys than authentics, and MLB replica jerseys don't have sleeve patches. So if Boyer's reasoning was to enhance brand awareness, he's actually done virtually nothing.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The White Sox want their most significant logo on the road jerseys, which are worn without any other team identifiers by people on the street.

Little problem with that: I would wager that far more fans buy replica jerseys than authentics, and MLB replica jerseys don't have sleeve patches. So if Boyer's reasoning was to enhance brand awareness, he's actually done virtually nothing.

Not to mention that jersey has had two decades to build brand awareness. I'd understand if it was an unpopular tweak after a couple of years, but 20? Come on. I'm calling BS on any excuse like that. Their road uni was perfect as a set before that switch, IMO. (And good point on the replicas.)

And I always think of RBI Baseball when I see that '80s Sox guy. That era is popular, but it doesn't come close to the current stuff's popularity.

I am for the return of the Sock in Diamond patch, but I'd also like to see this alternate road jersey added to their set.

A t-shirt of this design is available.

jake_peavysox.jpg

I've seen the shirsey, and man, would that ever be a perfect road alternate. The gray road jersey has been my favorite part of the set since I first laid eyes on it in '90, and I think it remains great to this day, even if we're no longer in the era of sleeve cuffs and pants striping.

I can't believe the White Sox have kept the same uniform set (more or less) for 22 seasons. That has to be at least three times longer than anything else they've ever worn, right?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I am for the return of the Sock in Diamond patch, but I'd also like to see this alternate road jersey added to their set.

jake_peavysox.jpg

I've seen the shirsey, and man, would that ever be a perfect road alternate. The gray road jersey has been my favorite part of the set since I first laid eyes on it in '90, and I think it remains great to this day, even if we're no longer in the era of sleeve cuffs and pants striping.

I can't believe the White Sox have kept the same uniform set (more or less) for 22 seasons. That has to be at least three times longer than anything else they've ever worn, right?

The strangest part is that the current look is based on the 1950's uniform set, barring some changes, like different away uniforms, it lasted until 1964...

al_1961_chicago.gif

Ends up like this...

al_1964_chicago.gif

Then this...

al_1970_chicago.gif

To...

al_1971_chicago.gif

To...

al_1976_chicago.gif

To...

al_1982_chicago.gif

To...

al_1989_chicago.gif

Man, the White Sox had no idea how to keep an identity for a long amount of time, did they? :wacko:

bSLCtu2.png

jake_peavysox.jpg

I agree that the gray jersey is the best. I'm so glad that they are wearing the home and road jerseys more this year. We just got through an entire Cubs series with both teams wearing their best jerseys, and I don't know if that has happened yet in the series. I was thinking about it this weekend, and I couldn't think of any way (other than bringing back the diamond sock) to make the road unis better. Maybe the thick striping isn't "in" now (neck piping is the craze), but I wouldn't want to do that and wouldn't want to have packet piping, although it's normally my favorite baseball look. What's so good about the Sox roadies is that they look so clean because white is emphasized. Black, white and gray - the team's colors. What better way to emphasize white? I wouldn't want to go with triple piping like the Braves. These are perfect. And while the style isn't popular now, they don't look dated. It's more distinctive that they are wearing a style nobody else does (except arguably the Phillies). As some point, it passed "those are so 1992" and became "this is what we wear on the road".

As for the road alternate, those look good, but I dislike multiple alternates. Also, it has the same problem the curren't black jersey does, which is no placket piping to distinguish it from a pullover or a BP jersey. I think they are good with what they have. They just need to bring back the diamond sock on the grays and fix the back lettering on the black jersey so the gray contours the letters instead of being a mass behind each letter.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived