Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning Final Update (07/09/2014)

Morgan33

After an over 2 month absense, the hand drawn NHL is back. I have completed 5 new concepts and start with this much needed update.

New York Islanders 2.0

For my original concept, I wanted to use the colours and lighthouse motif of the fisherman set on something a little more restrained. Unfortunately the logo was cluttered, the text was unbalanced and the colours did not translate to the traditional striping as well as I'd hoped.

The new logo is the same basic idea refined. The extraneous long island map is gone and the new, proportioned, wordmark now fits within the circle. For the colours I made an addition by subtraction removing teal alltogether. A lot of people on these boards have been clamouring for an orange alternate so that is what I have brought. The striping is based off the inaugural set and the logo fits in with the nautical theme.

Screenshot2014-06-29at105705AM.png

Original
Screenshot2014-06-29at105633AM.png

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to see this series is still alive and kicking.

HUGE improvement on the colour scheme. I would say that the previous lettering for the crest stood out more, but it feels a lot more unique on the updated version. It's also nice to see an orange third jersey for the Isles, and that anchor logo is spectacular.

In all, this is probably one of the best Islanders concepts I've seen on these boards.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Great to see this back! Keep in mind that this comes from a big Islanders fan.

The third jersey is fantastic. Don't change a thing, the rope design and the anchor, just wow. Don't know how you draw that. For the primary jerseys, the updated lighthouse logo looks really good. I liked the old NYI font better though, the new one is a little too thin and spaghetti-ish. I would use the old NYI font with the same logo.

Other than that, nice job.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Thank you all for the kind words on my last concept. On to the next one!

Tampa Bay Lightning 3.0 (Final Update)

Made some much needed adjustments to my last Tampa Bay Lightning Concept. The logos are based off the short lived 2007-2011 set and theres now a thin white line on the away jersey to separate the black and blue. Also added some shoulder patches to bring some more silver into the look and ditched the unnecessary lace up collar from the alternate. I can safely say this is exactly how I want the Lightning to look and there will be no further updates for this team. As always C & C very much appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-28at115814AM.png

Version 2.0

Screenshot2014-06-29at105954AM.png

Version 1.0

Screenshot2014-06-29at105936AM.png

I liked the TB logo. It's a shame it's gone.

I appreciate the compliment but I never liked the "B" on that logo. It always looked awkardly rendered and there was no real way of fixing it. The logo on the current alternate is basically the same.

Thanks to everyone who commented. Now we go from one Florida team to the other...

Florida Panthers

Not a lot to say about this concept. Sort of an amalgamation of their jerseys through the year. I thought the updated panther on the short lived double blues looked great aside from cliched roundel. The striping is based off the inaugural look. As always C & C very much appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-29at105419AM.png

I think I would miss the leaping Panther logo on the front - but just the head on its own like you have it here would still be a great look for them.

The sleeve striping could use some added colour, right now it looks a bit plain compared to the hemstripes.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Next!

Buffalo Sabres 2.5

Not much to say about this one either. Just added a vintage Blue and Gold alternate to round out the identity. Might do another update for this team that goes in a completely different direction. Thanks for looking :)

Kings update on Wednesday, then I'll have another 5 concepts to show not long after.

Screenshot2014-06-29at104626AM.png

• 4 weeks later...

Meant to post this awhile ago but I've been too busy drawing. Along with this set I got 4 new teams done and one much needed update!

Los Angeles Kings 2.0

My first L.A. Kings concept was admittedly a rush job. Making a contrasting logo and adding real hem stripes to the Home were easy fixes but I hate the intersecting phantom yoke and the half assed alternate. The home still has a phantom yoke to evoke the feel of the cup jerseys but it no longer intersects with the striping. I also opted for a flat grey this time around to tip the hat to the Gretzky years. The alternate reverts back to the late 90's, early 2000's scheme with a much simplified crown. C & C always appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-29at105518AM.png

Version 1.0

Screenshot2014-06-29at105450AM.png

I liked the previous set more.

I don't :)

What I meant to say is this: The alternate jersey doesn't work. The blue looks like It's out of nowhere, even though they did wear forum blue. The crown logo is mess, and the whole concept doesn't work. I love the home and away though.

sport-scarf_leafs_zps5f769288.png

seahawks_banner.png

Archived