Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning Final Update (07/09/2014)

Morgan33

What I meant to say is this: The alternate jersey doesn't work. The blue looks like It's out of nowhere, even though they did wear forum blue. The crown logo is mess, and the whole concept doesn't work. I love the home and away though.

Fair enough. The "Blue" is actually supposed to be the shade of purple used in the 1998-2011 jerseys but the shade was particularly difficult to match. I didn't want to use the grape purple I used for the previous alternate so I had to go with Indigo. I agree the crown logo doesn't work but am not sure how to fix it. I may redo this team in time for the next batch but we shall see. Thanks for commenting :)

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I meant to say is this: The alternate jersey doesn't work. The blue looks like It's out of nowhere, even though they did wear forum blue. The crown logo is mess, and the whole concept doesn't work. I love the home and away though.

Fair enough. The "Blue" is actually supposed to be the shade of purple used in the 1998-2011 jerseys but the shade was particularly difficult to match. I didn't want to use the grape purple I used for the previous alternate so I had to go with Indigo. I agree the crown logo doesn't work but am not sure how to fix it. I may redo this team in time for the next batch but we shall see. Thanks for commenting :)

Maybe go all out and try a grey alternate with a crown based off their original one? Just making a suggestion.

sport-scarf_leafs_zps5f769288.png

seahawks_banner.png

Next team

Columbus Blue Jackets

The Jackets primary logo is great. The jerseys are generic, proprietry and dated. For this concept I sought to really differentiate the jackets from the other Red White and Blue teams in the league with an original striping pattern that plays up the civil war aspect. For the alternate, I simply removed the more trendy elements from the Cannon jersey. No more vintage white, no lace ups and no generic shoulder yokes. As always C & C very much appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-29at104754AM.png

Absolutely LOVE the home and roads... For Washington, the red sticks and blue stars scream caps to me. Without the logo I would guess most people would think it was for the capitals, it's great in a vacuum but not in the same league as Washington.

On the Alt I would drop the double blue, just like there actual uniforms it feels disjointed.

Overall they look great, I'm a huge fan of your work, especially love what you did for my sharks!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Beautiful home and roads. But like he said^

If you really want to make this Blue Jackets set their own perhaps a distinct olor pallet would do this a world of good. Some gold trim would be interesting if not replacing the red entirely.

Midway.png

I really like the look of the home and away. And all of your concepts are very well executed. I can tell you put a lot of work into these hand-drawn concepts. The only thing I have a problem with is the alt. The double-blue looks fine to me but the silver and white look too similar. Maybe use gold?

Also did you get your inspiration from Justin? http://artofhockey.blogspot.com/

I really like the look of the home and away. And all of your concepts are very well executed. I can tell you put a lot of work into these hand-drawn concepts. The only thing I have a problem with is the alt. The double-blue looks fine to me but the silver and white look too similar. Maybe use gold?

Also did you get your inspiration from Justin? http://artofhockey.blogspot.com/

Never seen Justin's Blue Jacket's concept before, thought I was being original... damn. Anyhow, thanks for the feedback. Gold would be interesting but I think silver is better suited since it's already on the primary logo.

I think a black version of your original Sabres design would be the best jersey they've ever worn. Also I think the Kings should use the classic crown.

Great work.

Never thought about going back to Black Silver and Red for the Sabres. I used to like that scheme the best but popular opinion has swayed me into Blue and Gold. Thanks for the kind words.

Oh my goodness that is awesome. The striping pattern is brilliant.

Appreciate it man!

Absolutely LOVE the home and roads... For Washington, the red sticks and blue stars scream caps to me. Without the logo I would guess most people would think it was for the capitals, it's great in a vacuum but not in the same league as Washington.

On the Alt I would drop the double blue, just like there actual uniforms it feels disjointed.

Overall they look great, I'm a huge fan of your work, especially love what you did for my sharks!

The Capitals don't wear Navy, White and Red in this league :P Anyhow I appreciate the kind words and I've been thinking of updating the Sharks. Not that the concept is bad, it just isn't as well drawn as some of the later ones. We'll see though.

I'll be posting the Oilers tonight so stay tuned!

Good point about the caps didn't think about it that way.

My only gripe then is the double blue which I don't like for columbus in real life but it does look great on it's own.

Can't wait to see what you've done for Edmonton!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Next team!

Edmonton Oilers

In light of the Oilers going full on retro, it seems the pre-edge Midnight Blue, Red and Copper jerseys are getting a new found appreciation. While I agree the colours of the Retro set are bright and gaudy, I absolutely hate that shade of Copper when it's used on anything besides the logos which is why I have come up with a compromise. Midnight Blue, the original Orange with Red featured more prominently. As always C & C very much appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Screenshot2014-06-29at104809AM.png

While I agree the colours of the Retro set are bright and gaudy, I absolutely hate that shade of Copper when it's used on anything besides the logos which is why I have come up with a compromise. Midnight Blue, the original Orange with Red featured more prominently.

Absolutely agreed. The copper looks awful on the uniforms. I really like the orange. It gives the Oilers a throwback-modern look. It's a good mix.

The darker blue looks better than the blue they use, but I prefer the copper--it looked classy, not gaudy--like the orange does.

But these are your concepts, not mine...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Vancouver Canucks 2.0

Made some slight tweaks to my original Canuck's concept. I liked it, but didn't think it was drawn as well as the more recent ones. I changed the striping pattern and added the updated stick n' rink to the shoulders of the third. as always C & C appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-25at75309PM.png

Original

Screenshot2014-06-25at75330PM.png

Next team

Detroit Red Wings

This one felt like a more of an obligation. I mean what can you really do for the Red Wings, their current set is about as perfect as it gets. I unified the striping and gave the logo a silver outline to represent the 11 Stanley Cups. Thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-28at121201PM.png

Last one of the current batch! The series is winding down with only 4 teams left to do.

Montreal Canadiens

Unpopular opinion time. I absolutely loathe the white jersey the Canadiens have worn for most of their history. It's so simplistic and frankly half assed compared to the beautiful Home. The Home jersey of this set remains unchanged aside from the lace up and the away reverts back to the beautiful design that lasted from 1944 to 1947... Only red is prominent over blue. As always C & C appreciated & thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-28at121215PM.png

I have to agree with you that Montreal's away sucks. Their home is one of, if not the, best jerseys in the league. But the away really only gets by because of its age and the cups associated with it. I like your white much more, though I'm not a fan of the white cuffs on the red jersey.

I absolutely loathe the white jersey the Canadiens have worn for most of their history.

THANK YOU.

I literally could not get anybody to agree with me that the Habs road sweater is at least kind of bad.

Really love how you flipped the colours on the white, however I agree with Chromatic that the White cuffs on the home is a bit out of place.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

I first want to say I never thought I'd see good hand drawn concepts. You did a great job proving me wrong with this. I don't know what jersey is my favorite. The Dallas Stars, North Stars look is really neat, that may be my favorite. And yes, that Montreal road sweater is a nice upgrade to their current road sweater.

Archived