Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning Final Update (07/09/2014)

Morgan33

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been a long time but the hand drawn NHL is back. I've got two brand new teams to show and three much needed updates. Lets start with a team that recently unveiled new jerseys...

San Jose Sharks 2.0

The theme for this set is the Shark breaking free from it's restrictive surroundings. Gone are unnecessary elements like the chewed in half stick (always thought that was silly) and the triangle lifted from the Penguins. Also removed is the retro striping. The Sharks are a 90's expansion team and in my opinion they should look the part. Angled stripes retain the "Red Triangle" connection while phantom collars ensure that the aggressive shark is not 'boxed in.' The alternate is an updated throwback to the inaugural years. No Black jersey. As always C & C very much appreciated. Thanks for looking :)

56gi.png
da0o.png
Original

sanjosesharks.png
sanjosesharks2.jpg

Sticking with my pet peeve that i have with most sharks concepts. The shark is black, yet the fins on the shoulders are grey. Other than that, I'm in love.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Sticking with my pet peeve that i have with most sharks concepts. The shark is black, yet the fins on the shoulders are grey. Other than that, I'm in love.

The inconsistency always bothered me too but I tried making the fin black and it didn't look as good. Appreciate the feedback and kind words

Yay, I've missed this series.

I'm not a fan of the leaping shark logo at all, but I can see what you were going for here so I can forgive its use. In actual fact your concept makes me like the logo a bit more. The retro inspired third is nice too. Your execution is fantastic as ever, and puts certain other series to shame.

But going forward with the Sharks, I think you should just get rid of all the stripes. They're too heavy for the players after all :upside:

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Thank you for the kind words wildwing64. Maybe the Sharks should get rid of the logo too. Onto the next team

Dallas Stars 3.0

I think the Dallas Stars absolutely knocked it out of the park with their redesign. Where the Sharks and Hurricanes failed miserably at improving their original edge jerseys, the Stars would succeed with flying colours. My only complaint is that they didn't borrow enough from their past. This was something I wanted to rectify with this concept. Gold replaces silver as an accent and the shoulder to sleeve yokes from the inaugural set return. The classic logo dating back to the North Stars returns as a shoulder patch sans text. The alternate puts that great 'State of Texas' logo front and centre on a restrained black jersey with traditional striping. As always C & C very much appreciated. Thanks for looking :)

kzju.png
b8xj.png
Dallas Stars 2.0

dallasstars.png
dallasstars2.jpg

Dallas Stars 1.0

morgostars.png

For my next concept, I bring you a new team...

Carolina Hurricanes

Initially I had no interest in doing this team but their recent redesign was so awful, I changed my mind. If it looks a little similar to the inaugural set, it's because I'm a huge fan of that look. It managed to be creative without being over the top and gaudy. That being said, there is always room for improvement. The storm-flag striping now features an equal amount of outlines and the pattern is also found on the sleeves. I don't think removing the shoulder patches was particularly timeless, so those have been brought back. Full colour shoulder patches are now found on the alternate and the grey "film strip" pattern has been vanquished for a proper red, storm flag pattern. As always C & C very much appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-28at115152AM.png

I've lurked most of this summer, but seeing Morgo's NHL came back, I have to post! What you did with Dallas is great, especially with the alternate jersey--which is perfect. However, I'd say the old star on the shoulder doesn't fit as well with the home and away. It kind of reminds me of how a minor league baseball team with a cool new style will put a logo of their major league affiliate on their jersey even if it doesn't really fit with their look. Otherwise, the execution on the D is absolutely amazing.

For Carolina, I never really liked their red/blog flag striping and shoulder patch, but you pulled it off really well. I was surprised that after a few looks, I found myself really liking it!

Thanks for the feedback Philsphan, appreciate it. Next team!

New York Rangers

Might not be a popular opinion but I'm really not a huge fan of what the Rangers are wearing, I realize it's what they've worn for almost their entire history but I just can't get behind a jersey without a logo on the front. In fact, the only Rangers jerseys I've ever been a fan of were the ones with Lady Liberty on the front. I combined that logo with the classic Rangers striping (which I really like) and went with Navy. As always C & C very much appreciated, thanks for looking

Screenshot2014-06-29at105727AM.png

Philadelphia Flyers 2.0

Not much to say about this update as changes are minimal. Thought the way the first one was drawn wasn't up to the standards of the rest of the series. This is last of the current batch but I've already got 3 more done so the next batch will be posted soon. C & C always appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-28at121017PM.png

Original

Screenshot2014-06-29at105805AM.png

Thank you for the kind words wildwing64. Maybe the Sharks should get rid of the logo too. Onto the next team

Dallas Stars 3.0

I think the Dallas Stars absolutely knocked it out of the park with their redesign. Where the Sharks and Hurricanes failed miserably at improving their original edge jerseys, the Stars would succeed with flying colours. My only complaint is that they didn't borrow enough from their past. This was something I wanted to rectify with this concept. Gold replaces silver as an accent and the shoulder to sleeve yokes from the inaugural set return. The classic logo dating back to the North Stars returns as a shoulder patch sans text. The alternate puts that great 'State of Texas' logo front and centre on a restrained black jersey with traditional striping. As always C & C very much appreciated. Thanks for looking :)

kzju.png
Dallas Stars 2.0

dallasstars.png

2.0's jerseys with 3.0's logos= perfection

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

• 2 weeks later...

The next batch of 5 got finished much earlier than expected so the series continues! I'll start with an update.

Phoenix Coyotes Version 2.0

I was initially quite proud of my first Coyotes concept... until I added the third jersey which in my opinion blew the other two clear out the water. The updated set is based off that jersey with a few changes. Purple has been eliminated from the colour scheme and Sienna has been replaced by much more muted Mocha colour. The 'moon' shoulder patches are now red and feature the silhouette of a cactus. As always thanks for looking and C & C is much appreciated :)

Screenshot2014-06-25at75426PM.png

Original

Screenshot2014-06-25at75444PM.png

Archived