Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning Final Update (07/09/2014)

Morgan33

The primaries are quite nice, though I'm not feeling that third jersey. The lack of hem stripes is bothersome. I would use the third jersey from the first set instead. Also, the alternate crest worked really well as a shoulder patch - I'd add it to the shoulders of the primaries.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I think you've downgraded from 2 to 3 on Minnesota.

There will always be people who insist that the Wild are a 2000 team and should act like it. But, with Minnesota's rich hockey history dating back to 1900, they deserve a little better than the treatment people give Tampa Bay. I think the Wild should look a little more classic. Their logo is modern, but their jerseys don't have to be...if anything, that's the compromise. You integrated all of the colors, you made it look snazzy...why chase after something that very few people really want? I can't say anything is markedly better on 3 than 2. The white looks nice, but only because we've seen something very similar before. You even dropped the hemline stripes from the third.

And I bet the crowd that wants Minnesota to act modern is the same one that said Dallas' new jerseys were horrawful, and look how many times they're in the Best Looking Not-Original-Six Matchups thread. There are very different opinions, and that's ok.

I really think you should stick with 2.0. Add green shoulders to the whites, at most, but I wouldn't even bother doing that.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

There will always be people who insist that the Wild are a 2000 team and should act like it. But, with Minnesota's rich hockey history dating back to 1900, they deserve a little better than the treatment people give Tampa Bay. I think the Wild should look a little more classic. Their logo is modern, but their jerseys don't have to be...if anything, that's the compromise. You integrated all of the colors, you made it look snazzy...why chase after something that very few people really want? I can't say anything is markedly better on 3 than 2. The white looks nice, but only because we've seen something very similar before. You even dropped the hemline stripes from the third.

And I bet the crowd that wants Minnesota to act modern is the same one that said Dallas' new jerseys were horrawful, and look how many times they're in the Best Looking Not-Original-Six Matchups thread. There are very different opinions, and that's ok.

I really think you should stick with 2.0. Add green shoulders to the whites, at most, but I wouldn't even bother doing that.

First off, I really appreciate this constructive criticism but put me in the camp that thinks Minnesota should act like a 2000's expansion team (and I love the Stars new look so I don't understand that connection at all). The more I see that "wheat" or "vintage white" colour with that dark shade of green, the more I'm convinced that it simply doesn't look good. Dark forest green was never used in the NHL prior to the 1993/94 so pairing it with vintage white doesn't make any sense what so ever. Same deal with the modern and fantastic looking primary logo with metallic colours. If the Wild really wanted to do retro properly, they should pair the "wheat" with kelly green, adapt a much simpler logo and remove the gold. As it stands, their "retro" jerseys present a frankenstein scenario that has never jived with me.

Also found the hem stripes on the original red jersey distracting and unecessary due to the fact that the pants were already green. The removal of them is about the only thing I liked about the Edge adaptation.

First off, I really appreciate this constructive criticism but put me in the camp that thinks Minnesota should act like a 2000's expansion team (and I love the Stars new look so I don't understand that connection at all). The more I see that "wheat" or "vintage white" colour with that dark shade of green, the more I'm convinced that it simply doesn't look good. Dark forest green was never used in the NHL prior to the 1993/94 so pairing it with vintage white doesn't make any sense what so ever. Same deal with the modern and fantastic looking primary logo with metallic colours. If the Wild really wanted to do retro properly, they should pair the "wheat" with kelly green, adapt a much simpler logo and remove the gold. As it stands, their "retro" jerseys present a frankenstein scenario that has never jived with me.

Also found the hem stripes on the original red jersey distracting and unecessary due to the fact that the pants were already green. The removal of them is about the only thing I liked about the Edge adaptation.

Fair enough. Like my signature says, I'll respect any opinion you can defend, and that's well-put. I disagree, but it's well-put and it's your concept series. Personally, I like the green, and when I wear their old red jersey, I get tons of compliments from non-hockey fans simply because it looks good, and frankly, it's one of my favorites. But, that's personal preference.

Why is the Wild's red jersey in your list of Edge jerseys to be knocked off?

Looking more objectively, I always liked that the old Wild greens had a shoulder stripe the same color as the rest of the jersey, it wasn't inverted a la Winnipeg. I think that was unique. This concept might look more "Wild" if it didn't have the white stripes.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Next!

Colorado Avalanche 3.0
Last update for this team is essentially a recolour of the last concept. Thought that navy could work in place of the light blue and in turn help eliminate the black but it just didn't look right. Thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-28at121411PM.png

Colorado Avalanche 2.0
Screenshot2014-06-29at104737AM.png

Colorado Avalanche 1.0
Screenshot2014-06-29at104722AM.png

Looks nice. Looking back to the Caps update, I prefer the first version much more.

For the Caps, the dark gold is a better look, and also, the first striping pattern is better in my opinion. Colorado V3 looks great, though, as does the Minnesota update!

Great work!

Next update!

Columbus Blue Jackets 2.0

The Main reason I redid this set is because I hated the double blue Canon jersey. Nothing was working. The new one is based off the old Navy and Black alternate with several nods to the teams inaugural look with a modified CBJ crest and the return of "Stinger" on the shoulders. I thought it was appropriate to add a splash of colour and fun to an otherwise dead serious set. Sure this won't be a popular move but I think it turned out great! For the primaries I replaced the complicated hem stripes with something simpler that didn't take focus off the primary logo which I believe is a modern classic. C & C appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-28at120600PM.png

Columbus Blue Jackets 1.0
Screenshot2014-06-29at104754AM.png

Those primaries are sexy. In Version 1, having the hem and arm stripes like that definitely was overkill; the simplified hems make the jerseys look much better. The alternate if definitely an upgrade over the double-blue one, though I've never really loved the navy-on-blue yoke. That said, it by no means looks bad, and the set as a whole is very solid. Keep up the great work!

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Next update!

Florida Panthers 2.0
I will be the first to admit that my original Florida Panthers concept was really half assed. It was a team I had no interest in designing that I just wanted to get out of the way. With this version I forced myself to do better and spent a significant amount of time tweaking the logo. The shoulder-to-sleeve yokes have been vanquished and the colour balance on the Road has been completely revamped. As always C & C mad appreciated, thanks for looking :).

Screenshot2014-06-28at121058PM.png

Florida Panthers 1.0
Screenshot2014-06-29at105419AM.png

Next Update, almost finished the series!

Edmonton Oilers 2.0
Eliminated the red and replaced the so called "classic" with something a little more contemporary. The more I see that Oilers logo, the more dated it looks. The overall concept is intended to be an amalgamation of the three designs used prior to RBK Edge takeover. As always C & C appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Screenshot2014-06-28at114953AM.png

Edmonton Oilers 1.0

Screenshot2014-06-29at104809AM.png

Archived