Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning Final Update (07/09/2014)

Morgan33

Morgo, I've always been a big fan of your work; you obviously put so much time and effort into all of your concepts. I've felt really bad lately because I've been following this thread pretty well for the most part and have missed commenting on your work. It's unfair that you take so much time to deliver such great art, only to have me click, view, and go back. So, for that, I apologize. To make up for it, I'll leave a little feedback on everything that I've missed out on so far. Since you and I both know that quality C&C doesn't come as often as it should or used to (half the reason that I disbanded my NHL thread).

Now I know some of, if not most of, my comments are going to be a little too late because your series is wrapping up, but I thought I’d just let you know what my thoughts are. I’ll start from most recent and work my way back because I know that you value the comments on the more recent more than the comments on past works.

And I know, you may be thinking “TL;DR,” so I’ve just bolded what I thought of your updates, if they were better or worse than your originals.

Edmonton Oilers 2.0

I love Edmonton’s jerseys now and I’ve always loved that alternate jersey that Edmonton wore from 2001-07, I think you’ve combined them perfectly to form a new set with a modern feel. The logo you’ve created is very nice; it’s simple and effective without being (like you mentioned) dated, as the current Oilers logo is. This concept is so much better than the last Oilers one too because it’s so crisp and clean.

Major Upgrade from 1.0

Florida Panthers 2.0

I actually like the logo from the first set better than the one on this set. That being said, the jerseys on the update are 10x better. I love the balance and consistency of all of the stripes.

Upgrade from 1.0

Columbus Blue Jackets 2.0

I’m glad that you simplified the hem stripe and just left the crossing sticks as sleeve stripes, they look much better there and don’t crowd up and take focus away from the primary logo like they did when they were on the front of the jersey. The balance of color is fantastic on the home and away. Speaking on terms of the alternate though: the balance isn’t as good. It’s not necessarily your fault though; balancing navy, black, red, white, and that little bit of lime green would prove difficult for anyone. Besides, it’s not like the alternate looks terrible. It’s just not as good as the primaries. While I think the whole “double blue” think has been overplayed in hockey, I actually like it for the Blue Jackets so I like the alt. on your first concept better.

Upgrade from 1.0

Colorado Avalanche 3.0

I’ve got to say I actually like the darker colors a lot more. I’m not too big of a fan of there being black in the stripes of the home set but having the away set totally devoid of it. To me, version 2.0 was the best of the Avalanche sets.

Downgrade from 2.0, Lateral Move from 1.0

Minnesota Wild 3.0

Again, I’ve gotta say that I actually like version 2.0 better. This isn’t a bad concept, it’s just that I liked 2.0 that much more. The one thing about this one though is that I do much prefer the “MIN.” logo to the “M.H.” logo. Also, this variation is an improved set over the original.

Downgrade from 2.0, Upgrade from 1.0

Washington Capitals 2.0

This concept will probably be the only one that I’ll give the “major downgrade” label too (and I do feel bad in doing so), Again, it’s not a knock at the concept itself, it’s actually quite good. It’s just that your original version was one of my favorites of the series. The original just falls together so perfectly in the colors, striping, and logos. With the update I just don’t sense that flow. There’s something about the colors that seem a little off (I think you were using a different shade of gold in the original) and the primary jerseys are a little dull.

Major Downgrade from 1.0

Nashville Predators 2.0

The Nashville Predators to me have a fantastic look, one of my favorites in the NHL. I’m glad that you kept the yellow as the dominant color in the set, but I can’t help but to think this is a downgrade from what the Preds actually wear. Nevertheless, version 2.0 is a slight upgrade over your original. The logos look a lot better and I’m glad to see you rework the striping pattern on the roads.

Slight Upgrade from 1.0

Chicago Blackhawks

This is a solid attempt at what most people consider to be some of the best jerseys in the NHL. I personally think they’re given a little too much credit for both their logos and uniforms but I digress. It’s probably just me, a bitter Blues fan :P But, we’re here to talk about your work. I like the addition of the lace-up collars and the additional sleeve stripes to the home. The fauxback is also very nicely done.

Los Angeles Kings 3.0

This, this set right here is where you nailed it. The first two sets were pretty decent, but this right here, oh boy, this is the real winner. I think you did a great job simplifying the logo and primary uniforms. That alternate though, is simply gorgeous, it’s a perfect combination of past and present to make for a great set altogether.

Major Upgrade from 2.0 and 1.0

Pittsburgh Penguins 2.0

This is just a really solid and clean upgrade from your previous concept and from that awful set the Penguins currently wear. I love “robo-penguin” and seeing him make a comeback makes me extremely happy. I also like the removal of the shoulder yolks and the replacement of the skating penguin logo. The shade of gold used is perfect for the Penguins and that gold alternate jersey is simply stunning. I have absolutely no complaints here; a near perfect concept.

Major Upgrade from 1.0

Calgary Flames 2.0

I’m a little torn on this one. While I could take or leave black as a color in the Flames set, I think when it’s used it can be used nicely if done correctly. That being said, I always hated the black “flaming C” and have always liked when it’s done in white or yellow on the red sweaters. I think in this concept, you could have fared well in doing a yellow C on the red sweaters; to me, there’s just a lot of white already going on. The away and alternate jerseys are nice, I’m just having a hard time with the home, but maybe that’s just me.

Lateral Move from 1.0

New Jersey Devils 2.0

Well, you know I love the Devils in red and green more than in red and black. It’s a great concept and all, and don’t get me wrong I love the Devils’ current uniforms, I just think red and green is such a unique color scheme in sports.

Slight Downgrade from 1.0

Winnipeg Jets

The colors and jerseys are superb on this concept. I love the light blue as the dominant color and the navy and silver compliment it very well. I just don’t think that that particular logo is strong enough to stand alone as a primary (and don’t worry, I don’t think the Jets’ current logo is strong enough either). The logo just lacks a sense of motion. Maybe if you tilted it so it’s going up at a 45 degree angle, it would look a little better? As it stands right now, it’s just kinda lifeless.

Ottawa Senators 2.0

While I think that the template is much better, the logos you’ve used are not. I like the Senators inaugural logo just as much as the next guy, but I actually think they really got it right with their current alternate logo that you used on your last concept.

Lateral Move from 1.0

Buffalo Sabres 3.0

I really liked your first version of this as I’m probably in the minority in thinking that the Sabres’ best look was when they wore the red and black. I just can’t picture a team from Buffalo have a jersey set that’s totally devoid of a buffalo.

Downgrade 2.0 and 1.0

Phoenix Coyotes 2.0

I loved your last Coyotes concept and I love this one. It’s really hard for me to say which one I like better and honestly, I don’t think I can. This is just a really solid concept that I could definitely see on the ice.

Lateral Move from 1.0

Philadelphia Flyers 2.0

I really like what you’ve done here. I’m one that actually really dislikes Philadelphia’s current uniforms. I don’t like how the orange and white touch with no separation between them but you’ve taken care of that by adding the much needed black between them. I also hate the contrasting nameplates, so I’m going to pretend that your concept doesn’t have any and I’ll say it’s a perfect update to the Flyers current set :D

Upgrade from 1.0

Carolina Hurricanes

This concept is absolute perfection! Exactly what the ‘Canes should be wearing. Unfortunately they got stuck playing pseudo-Original 6 dress up with tiny crests. No complaints here, though. Just a perfect concept.

Dallas Stars 3.0

While I’m a fan of the jerseys and logos of course, I’m not that big a fan of the colors. I just don’t think Kelly green and gold go together that well. I think if you darkened the green it would make the gold pop a lot more. Either that or change the gold to silver, like the Stars currently have. It’s not a bad concept by any means, and it’s certainly better than your other two. I actually love the alternate.

Upgrade from 2.0, Major Upgrade from 1.0

San Jose Sharks 2.0

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Yes. This right here, is exactly what the Sharks should be wearing. I’ve always thought that full-bodied shark logo was the far superior one and you’ve confirmed it with this ideal concept.

Major Upgrade from 1.0

Montreal Canadiens

Not much to say here other than great job for making the home and away match. I’ve always thought that the away sweaters should mimic the home and they look quite good in doing so.

Detroit Red Wings

Good stuff here. There’s really not much you can do with this team but I like the slight alterations that you’ve made. I’m glad you didn’t try something completely different just because you thought you had to.

Vancouver Canucks 2.0

I love this. I hate the Canucks’ current primary uniforms, but love their colors and the alternate “stick n’ rink” uniforms. Just a really crisp, solid look for this set and I like the small alterations you’ve made since your last version (i.e. putting the shoulder logo slightly farther down the sleeve and adding a shoulder logo to the alternates).

Upgrade over 1.0

Tampa Bay Lightning 3.0

I have always thought that Tampa Bay’s strongest identity (by far) was their most short-lived. The 2007-2011 logo sans the ‘Tampa Bay’ is such a stronger logo than their current or inaugural. So logo-wise in this concept, you’ve nailed it. The jerseys are okay. I respect the conservative route and there’s certainly nothing wrong per se, I just think that with a name like “Lightning,” more eccentric jerseys could be used. Also, I’m not the biggest fan of royal blue and black together. I am, however, a fan of navy and black together when paired with that little bit of silver that is used in that logo.

New York Islanders 2.0:

Let me start by saying that that alternate logo is absolutely ingenious and flawlessly executed. In my opinion, I think it’s strong enough to stand alone as a primary. While I like teal for the Islanders, I actually think that the silver works quite well with this set. The primary logo is very nicely done as well. My only complaint is that the ‘N’ is lowercase while the ‘YI’ is not, throwing off the balance a little.

Major Upgrade from 1.0

Well, I think I’ve covered all of them. I really enjoyed this series man, you do fantastic work!

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Now that is feedback :). Appreciate the kind words & encouragement and appreciate the individual reviews even more. It's a shame you disbanded your series because the lack of comments certainly isn't a reflection of it's quality more of the degeneration of the concepts board. I'm sure if you'd spent 30 seconds on a recolour in MS paint, the comments would be flooding in :P. Anyhow, a few thoughts after reading this...

Buffalo Sabres 3.0

I really liked your first version of this as I’m probably in the minority in thinking that the Sabres’ best look was when they wore the red and black. I just can’t picture a team from Buffalo have a jersey set that’s totally devoid of a buffalo.

Downgrade 2.0 and 1.0

Whole heartedly agree that the Sabres looked best in Red Black and Slate though the fans would never accept the return of it hence playing it safe with Blue Gold & Silver. My logic in removing the Buffalo completely is that the teams namesake has always been overshadowed. Even on the so called "classic" logo, the Buffalo takes prominence. I wanted a set where the namesake took centre stage with no distractions. Can definitely see your point however and have been thinking of adding an alternate with a Buffalo.

Winnipeg Jets

The colors and jerseys are superb on this concept. I love the light blue as the dominant color and the navy and silver compliment it very well. I just don’t think that that particular logo is strong enough to stand alone as a primary (and don’t worry, I don’t think the Jets’ current logo is strong enough either). The logo just lacks a sense of motion. Maybe if you tilted it so it’s going up at a 45 degree angle, it would look a little better? As it stands right now, it’s just kinda lifeless

Wholeheartedly agree. Tried being creative by making a logo from scratch but was too proud to admit it didn't work. Working on an update now that retains the striping and colour balance but looks to the past for a different crest.

Tampa Bay Lightning 3.0

I have always thought that Tampa Bay’s strongest identity (by far) was their most short-lived. The 2007-2011 logo sans the ‘Tampa Bay’ is such a stronger logo than their current or inaugural. So logo-wise in this concept, you’ve nailed it. The jerseys are okay. I respect the conservative route and there’s certainly nothing wrong per se, I just think that with a name like “Lightning,” more eccentric jerseys could be used. Also, I’m not the biggest fan of royal blue and black together. I am, however, a fan of navy and black together when paired with that little bit of silver that is used in that logo.

Went the conservative route for the jerseys to honour the 2004 cup winning team. Though I hated the result (Gelinas scored what would have been the cup winning goal), that season represents a very exciting time in hockey for me. Can definitely see where you are coming from though.

New York Islanders 2.0:

Let me start by saying that that alternate logo is absolutely ingenious and flawlessly executed. In my opinion, I think it’s strong enough to stand alone as a primary.

Stay tuned ;)

The Oilers look fantastic, both 1.0 and 2.0.

The Panthers would look better if you used the full body cat. The aggressiveness of the pouncing cat is better than just the head, IMO.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Thanks for the comments, criticisms and many kind words :). Honestly didn't think this series would last half as long as it has but the more of these I draw, the easier it becomes and the more I want to do. Next up we have the team that is very likely changing it's uniforms... Version 3.

St Louis Blues 3.0

When you have a logo as perfect as the current blues one, you don't need a convoluted uniform taking away from it. For the primary jerseys I wanted something as clean and uncluttered as possible while still retaining the double blue. I thought it really important to make Yellow the second most prominent colour on the Home jersey and lighten the blue to make the navy elements pop. Aside from the socks, the alternate remains unchanged. As always C & C appreciated and thanks for looking!

Screenshot2014-06-28at115853AM.png

St Louis Blues 2.0
Screenshot2014-06-29at105916AM.png

St Louis Blues 1.0
Screenshot2014-06-29at105854AM.png

Hmm. This is a big downgrade from Version 2. On the road, the light blue and gold don't work well next to each other on the crest due to a lack of contrast. I think you reached perfection when you used royal, which is a much more aesthetically-pleasing shade IMO. As well, the striping (and yoke) was very nicely balanced in V2; not so here. However, I do like that you eliminated the pants stripe, which would work better with either set over the white-striped one.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I want to see a white jersey with a little more navy blue in it, perhaps have the logo in navy like you do on the blue, but that blue and that alternate, are PERFECT. I never thought of the Blues in that light a color, but I really like it. It looks vintage, without really trying too hard, and that's a tough thing to achieve. Well done.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Thanks for the comments, time for the next update.

New York Islanders 3.0
Full circle from the Fisherman colours to the classic scheme. The alternate logo from version 2 is now the primary logo while the navy jersey sticks around as an alternate. C & C appreciated as always, thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-28at114913AM.png

New York Islanders 2.0
Screenshot2014-06-29at105705AM.png

New York Islanders 1.0
Screenshot2014-06-29at105633AM.png

Like it. For the Blues, though, I have to say version 3 is my least favourite, only because I love the other two. Great work, though! Maybe Version 1, but with a hem stripe would look good...

They all have hem stripes :)

hello

Welcome!

St. Louis Blues 3.0

While I really like that you've lightened the blue, I've gotta say that overall I think this is a downgrade of 2.0, which, if you remember my extremely high praise of 2.0, isn't really anything discouraging. I just feel like there needs to be some sort of shoulder yolk or else the jerseys look a little too plain. I do like the hem and sleeve striping and if there were a matching yolk I think it would make it much better. That alternate, though, is still one of the best things I've ever seen.

Slight Downgrade from 2.0, Major Upgrade from 1.0.

New York Islanders 3.0

This. Now this I like. The logo, as I've told you before, is simply perfect. I'm glad you're working outside of the box for the Islanders; they've needed a change for awhile and this would be a great one. The only suggestion I'd make would be to change the blue to navy. I've always thought navy and orange work really well together and your "NY anchor" logo would really pop on a navy sweater, IMO.

Major Upgrade from 2.0 and 1.0.

Great stuff, Morgo!

not liking the jets. too tame. i like the colors, though.

Jets update on the way! Thanks for the feedback everyone. For now...

Anaheim Ducks 2.0

Though these may just be slight adjustments, I'm really excited to post this version. A Ducks jersey just isn't a Ducks jersey without the signature diagonal stripe and the inaugural mask logo does not need any adjustments. I was never happy with my jade alternate as the rendering of the "Footprint D" was poor and the sleeve stripes boxed everything in. Now the logo is able to breathe while the added shoulder patches give a connection to the primaries. C & C much appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-28at115056AM.png

Anaheim Ducks 1.0

Screenshot2014-06-29at104608AM.png

The Islanders primaries are beautiful. I'l have to disagree with Heitert about the colours - I think royal blue and orange is fantastic here (or anywhere, for that matter). The alternate is sort of "meh"...not bad by any means, but somewhat underwhelming. I love the idea of a lighthouse logo, which is why I don't really like how the lighthouse is obscured by the text. I think if you left the initials as just "NY", with the "N" to the left and the "Y" to the right, leaving the lighthouse out in the open, it would look much better.

For the Ducks, jade/black/silver works surprisingly well. The "D" logo looks a hundred times better in this rendition than the last, and the alternate as a whole looks much cleaner. As for the primaries, they look great as well. Diagonal striping was awesome and had character, and the outlines around the logo look way better than the outline-less version of your previous set.The only thing I'm not a fan of is the silver triangle on the black jersey; as with the Mighty Ducks' real jerseys, I always thought it would look better if it was jade.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Anaheim Ducks 2.0

I'm assuming that that is in fact supposed to be eggplant? It just looks really dark on my laptop, that's why I ask. Assuming that it is though, I really have nothing to say about this concept. You've gone back to perfection for the Ducks. No complaints here.

Major Upgrade from 1.0.

Anaheim Ducks 2.0

I'm assuming that that is in fact supposed to be eggplant? It just looks really dark on my laptop, that's why I ask. Assuming that it is though, I really have nothing to say about this concept. You've gone back to perfection for the Ducks. No complaints here.

Major Upgrade from 1.0.

Yeah, it looks black to me too.

Next!

Winnipeg Jets 2.0
The logo for version one never really clicked so I've replaced it with my favourite Jets logo decked out in the current colours. I was finally able to match the light blue. The striping remains more or less the same while the collars give a subtle nod to The Thrashers, which I think fits the aviation theme. As always C & C much appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-06-28at115744AM.png

Winnipeg Jets 1.0

Screenshot2014-06-29at110130AM.png

Archived