Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning Final Update (07/09/2014)

Morgan33

I can't stand the Canucks... but I would but that Johnny Canuck alt and wear it EVERYWHERE

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Canucks set is fantastic. Random thought here, but weren't you very pro-Orca? Is there any particular reason why it's absent from this concept? Not that I'm saying "you should totally add that and it would be a hundred times better" or anything, it looks great as is. I'm just curious :D

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Thank you all for the kind words :)

That Canucks set is fantastic. Random thought here, but weren't you very pro-Orca? Is there any particular reason why it's absent from this concept? Not that I'm saying "you should totally add that and it would be a hundred times better" or anything, it looks great as is. I'm just curious :D

I'm a big fan of what the Canucks currently wear and for this third version, I toyed with having the standalone Orca. Unfortunately, that logo (for whatever reason) just doesn't work without the arched word mark and if I'd used the complete logo it wouldn't really be a concept. That being said I'm also a big fan of the modernized stick n' rink would be all for it becoming the primary logo. The Orca is also very difficult to draw which influenced the decision.

Sharks update coming later today.

Happy Canada Day :flagcanada:. Time for the next update!

San Jose Sharks 3.0

Designed a new set based on the previous version's alternate. Used the updated "Fin" as a shoulder patch and made the teal slightly more green. For the third, I tweaked the black jersey from version 1 and put the shark back in it's triangle to better fit the striping. As always C & C is very much appreciated. Thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-07-01at101421AM.png

San Jose Sharks 2.0

Screenshot2014-07-01at101456AM.png

San Jose Sharks 1.0

Screenshot2014-07-01at101516AM.png

This will be the last update until I redo the Blues (after the unveiling of course) and the last time I am hand drawing that difficult logo :P

Minnesota Wild 4.0

With version 3, I went in a more futuristic direction (they are a 2000's expansion team after all) but the concept proved very unpopular. Once the team released their fantastic new away jersey, I knew what needed to be done. The home is the reverse of that uniform with "Wheat" retained to lend a vintage feel. Another unpopular decision regarding version 3 was the removal of the hem stripes on the alternate. I figured since the pants were green, that they were unnecessary. The comments led me to reconsider. Hope you guys dig this version because it is the last for this team :) C & C appreciated but not really expected, thanks for looking!

Screenshot2014-07-03at32525PM.png

Minnesota Wild 3.0

Screenshot2014-07-03at32603PM.png

Minnesota Wild 2.0

Screenshot2014-07-03at32840PM.png

Minnesota Wild 1.0

Screenshot2014-07-03at32927PM.png

*Help Wanted for version 4*

All the talk about the Lightning on the 2014-15 changes thread has me itching to do an update. Heres a quick Photoshop I did using version 3.

I'm going to be starting version 4 by hand shortly and would like some advice. Was thinking of using an updated version of the alternate as the primary. Version 4 will probably end up very different from the bonus concept below but I figured I'd see what people thought as a guage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Bonus Concept: Tampa Bay Lightning 3.1

Screenshot2014-07-06at110201AM.png

Tampa Bay Lightning 3.0

Screenshot2014-06-28at115814AM.png

Tampa Bay Lightning 2.0

Screenshot2014-06-29at105954AM.png

Tampa Bay Lightning 1.0

Screenshot2014-06-29at105936AM.png

San José looks fantastic, though I'm not feeling Minnesota. I much prefer V1 and V3, to be honest.

For the Lightning, I'd incorporate some silver into the home striping. It's present on the other uniforms, so it should also be on that one. Also, I think the lightning bolt would work better as the primary. I don't mind the "T-bolt", but I don't think it's string enough to be the primary crest. I like it on the third jersey, though. And I can't tell if you changed the shade of blue from last time, but I quite like it.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, here it is... The official hand drawn update :)

Tampa Bay Lightning 4.0
This will not be a very popular concept but I really wanted to try something different and break out of standard "Bolt in a Circle" mode. The Lightning are a 90's expansion team and I wanted something fresh, bright and electric. I know most of you will likely prefer version 3 but I am really happy with how this turned out. C & C is always appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Screenshot2014-07-09at35425PM.png

Tampa Bay Lightning 3.0

Screenshot2014-06-28at115814AM.png

Tampa Bay Lightning 2.0

Screenshot2014-06-29at105954AM.png

Tampa Bay Lightning 1.0

Screenshot2014-06-29at105936AM.png

Archived