Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning Final Update (07/09/2014)

Morgan33

I like it, but the arm striping seems bland for a jersey that's supposed to be a bit on the wild side. Like the logos you used, but I miss old "S-sword". Bring him back on the other shoulder, and it's a hit, not a slight miss.

That's my problem (along with everyone else) with all of them. By not completing the collar it makes it 1 billion times sillier looking.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like someone is holding a knife to a buffalo's throat in a hostage situation. i actually like the buffagoat logo. not as much as i like the classic sabres logo, but i like it. and i don't think it needs any compositional alterations.

looks like someone is holding a knife to a buffalo's throat in a hostage situation. i actually like the buffagoat logo. not as much as i like the classic sabres logo, but i like it. and i don't think it needs any compositional alterations.

While I appreciate your constructive feedback I disagree. One of the main complaints leveled against the "Goat Logo" (that looks nothing like a goat for the record) was that it didn't feature a Sabre. "They are the Buffalo Sabres's not the Buffalo Buffalo's" people would say. As for the Buffalo being held in a hostage situation, really? Might as well say the Buffalo on the classic logo is floating the air, ready to land on two oversized swords... It is a logo, a visual representation of two things in stylized format.

Not to sound butthurt or that I can't take criticism I just take issue with that assessment.

Buffalo looks fantastic. I have no complaints about that set.

The Anaheim primaries are sweet, but I'm not a fan of the third jersey. The "D" logo looks great in the team's current colours, but every attempt I've seen at recolouring it with the 90s colours just doesn't look right. I think that a modified "D" in those colours could work, but as of now, I just don't like how it looks.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Time for the series first foray into the original six

Boston Bruins

As much as I despise this team, I have to admit they are among the best dressed in the NHL which is why you see very little changes. The only real difference, besides the jersey cut, is the absense of the secondary shoulder patch. While that logo looks great on the shoulders of the white jersey (lots of contrast), it doesn't far as well on the Black. For the alternate I brought back the winter classic jersey but ditched the "Pregnant B" in favour of a vintage white version of the current logo. The current logo IMO is not only one of the best updates of a classic logo I've seen in recent memory but easily the best in Boston Bruins history. I realize this set is not terribly creative but this series is about what I would like to see on the ice and theres no point in fixing what isn't broken.

Screenshot2014-06-28at121129PM.png

I don't expect alot of C & C for this one but thanks for looking none the less!

I know you don't like 'em, but nice job on the Bruins. The set is class.

It must've been tempting to try to make them look like utter :censored:, right?

At first I wasn't going to do them but my appreciation for good jerseys outweighs any hockey rivalry... except the Blackhawks

At first I wasn't going to do them but my appreciation for good jerseys outweighs any hockey rivalry... except the Blackhawks

You should have done the Bruins first, to get them overwith. That's why I did the Yanks first for my MLB series. :P

On to the concept, I love your new third for the Bruins. It looks stellar. They need a yellow alt like that instead of their current boring, half-assed alt.

Would've used there old B logo for the alt, to make it more throwbackish, but all in all, it looks nice.

I'm assuming you mean the Pre 1996 primary logo. I did think about it but like I said, the current is the best in Bruins history and I think the vintage white grants the throwback feel alone.

Appreciate the kind words. My bitterness towards the 2011 finals has died down considerably. I actually own an authentic version of the white cup jersey. Great design.

I actually love the alternate, much better without the pregnant B in my opinion. The yellow and vintage white looks fantastic. Nice job.

Appreciate the kind words. I liked the pregnant B at first but once people on these boards pointed out it's flaws, I couldn't "un-see" them.

You should have done the Bruins first, to get them overwith. That's why I did the Yanks first for my MLB series. :P

On to the concept, I love your new third for the Bruins. It looks stellar. They need a yellow alt like that instead of their current boring, half-assed alt.

Good point... but if I went by that logic, the Blackhawks would be done first :P

Man, why all the Bruins hate? Set looks great. Is it black on the alt or brown? Hard to tell on my screen.

I'm a Canucks fan... but as I've said my hatred has died down. The Bruins have arguably the best jerseys in the league right now. And the third uses Black... no need for brown especially considering how close to black that shade looked on WC jerseys

Next!

Phoenix Coyotes

I'll come right out and say it... I hate the Phoenix Coyotes' current identity. They look like a "Brick" version of the Detroit Red Wings minus a decent logo. The striping looks cookie cutter, having the shoulder patch on one side looks tacky and the decision to drop Hunter Green, Sienna and Purple from the identity sucked all the life from it.

My goal with this concept was to go back to the feel of the inaugural jerseys while toning down the striping to the point where traditionalists could live with it. The jerseys feature a simple but colourful striping pattern that say "yes we are a 90's team but that doesn't mean we have to look like complete :censored:." I always thought the old alternate jersey would look fine if they just dropped the desert-scape striping. In place of it, we have broad sand and black stripes that compliment the logos in a way the original striping never could.

Screenshot2014-06-25at75444PM.png

As always C & C very much welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

The original Coyotes jerseys are one of my all-time faves, so it's hard for me to say I like Coyotes concepts in general. I like this concept. I really like the idea of using just the moon for the shoulder patch.

rATMcmK.png

This is last the concept of the current batch and the 2nd foray into the original six

Toronto Maple Leafs

I would like to state once again that this series is about what I would like to see on the ice so please excuse the lack of originality. These jerseys are an amalgamation of the pre-1967, post 1958 jerseys. The only thing completely new is the white shoulder yoke on Blue Home. I thought it would provide more consistency.

Screenshot2014-06-29at110018AM.png

Not expecting a lot of C & C on this one but if you'd like to comment, go for it! Thanks for looking as always. There should be less of hiatus on this series this time as I have several updates in the works. Cheers

This is last the concept of the current batch and the 2nd foray into the original six

Toronto Maple Leafs

I would like to state once again that this series is about what I would like to see on the ice so please excuse the lack of originality. These jerseys are an amalgamation of the pre-1967, post 1958 jerseys. The only thing completely new is the white shoulder yoke on Blue Home. I thought it would provide more consistency.

Not expecting a lot of C & C on this one but if you'd like to comment, go for it! Thanks for looking as always. There should be less of hiatus on this series this time as I have several updates in the works. Cheers

I'd give you points alone for being able to hand-draw the 35-point leaf. I can't even get the current logo right. :cry:

As for real C&C, I like how the 'Toronto' is actually centred now--I thought the off-centredness of the old logo gave it some retro charm like the old Canadiens logo, but it's still a nice fix anyway. Not feeling the white yoke, (perhaps since the only time the white yoke was present on the blue sweaters was during the Ballard years) but I suppose it's also there for colour balance. It still looks like a classic jersey, which is fine.

Great work as always

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

The Coyotes are really fantastic. As I've heard people say on here before, "The cubist coyote is silly, but so is playing hockey in a desert so it works. Craftsmanship and precision really show in that concept too. Really nice concept!

Maple Leafs and Bruins are fine I guess, just no major changes

Archived