Morgo

Morgo's Hand Drawn NHL: Tampa Bay Lightning Final Update (07/09/2014)

Next update

St Louis Blues 2.0

My first Blues concept was likely the most flawed one in my series. The shoulder yokes on the primaries weren't realistic and the music staff motif of the alternate fell flat without the right number of lines. I also grew very weary of the Red Trim. I've come back with something a little more restrained for the primaries. The jerseys now feature traditional hems stripes and shoulder yokes that evoke the team's pre-edge look.

I've always thought the alternate currently worn by the team was almost but not quite all the way there so I based mine off that. The new logo ditches the unnecessary beveling and the blue note is now royal blue (only instance of the colour on the jersey making it the focal point). The striping no longer counters to the idiosyncratic seams of the Edge format and features the addition of the music staff, now with the correct 5 lines. As always C & C very much appreciated. Thanks for looking at my series :)

Screenshot2014-06-29at105916AM.png

Original

Screenshot2014-06-29at105854AM.png

Wow. Just... wow.

I simply cannot express how amazing this is. The alt is sheer genius and the fact that you were able to draw such an intricate logo with such accuracy, kudos.

You never cease to amaze me; I would LOVE it if the Blues adopted these beauties! I have absolutely no complaints here.

Fantastic work Morgo.

I simply cannot express how amazing this is. The alt is sheer genius and the fact that you were able to draw such an intricate logo with such accuracy, kudos.

This.

Morgo, your artistic talent when it comes to hockey concepts is fantastic. I have no idea how you can draw logos and intricate striping patterns so accurately and so consistently. If this were me, I'd probably screw up the sock striping. If you don't mind, I have two questions:

1. In this series, have you ever made a big mistake, forcing you to start all over again?

2. On average, how long does it take you to draw one of these concepts, once you have finalized the design?

Once again, terrific work.

huge upgrade from what you had before! very impressive that you managed to draw the blues alt. logo too

Wow. Just... wow.

You never cease to amaze me; I would LOVE it if the Blues adopted these beauties! I have absolutely no complaints here.

Fantastic work Morgo.

'nuff said. Wow. Absolutely perfect.

Morgo, your artistic talent when it comes to hockey concepts is fantastic. I have no idea how you can draw logos and intricate striping patterns so accurately and so consistently. If this were me, I'd probably screw up the sock striping. If you don't mind, I have two questions:

1. In this series, have you ever made a big mistake, forcing you to start all over again?

2. On average, how long does it take you to draw one of these concepts, once you have finalized the design?

Once again, terrific work.

Appreciate the kind words Bubba. To answer your questions.

1. Yes I have made several big mistakes forcing me to start from scratch but because I make the main jersey template first, it's not as bad as you'd think. Just gotta retrace the jerseys. It's more disheartening when a mistake occurs during the colouring of them as that takes the most time and patience.

2. When the designs are finalized on the template. It can take anywhere from 1 hour to 3 to complete. Tracing three (or two) jerseys doesn't take that much time but colouring them is a different story. It so difficult to colour these with felt pens without having the colours bleed through the lines, especially on the logos.

Thank you for your interest in the design process. Perhaps I will post a step by step visualization in the future :)

Wow. Just... wow.

Fantastic work Morgo.

Appreciate it man! When are we going to see the next addition to your series?

Once this hectic semester is over. I have finals this week and then I go on a well-needed break where I'll be able to knock out a few concepts!

^Glad to hear you will be continuing the series. Next update!

San Jose Sharks 1.5 (Alternate added)

I am quite proud of my original Sharks concept which is why the primaries remain unchanged (same drawing). Though Heitert expressed disappointed that the set didn't feature a black alternate with his favourite logo so I decided to make one to complete the set. The alternate is not terribly different from the one currently worn but I felt the tweaks were necessary. The collar is now coloured without laces and the hem features angular stripes that avoid both boxing in the logo and the dreaded monochrome look. C & C welcome and appreciated as always. Thanks for looking!

sanjosesharks.png

sanjosesharks2.jpg

Very nice! I love that particular striping patter because it allows the logo to "flow" for lack of a better word. It just seems natural, which is a very good look for the Sharks.

Next!

Colorado Avalanche

I can't tell you all how excited I am to post this latest concept. Of all the drawings I've done for this series, this one is far and away my favourite. The Av's original identity will always have a special place in my heart as it was the first time in my life where I simply had to own a jersey. Everything from the unconventional colours, the shimmering silver accents on the logos and the revolutionary striping seemed so fresh and original back in 1996. Unfortunately the Avalanche identity has been on a downward spiral ever since. Darkening the bergundy was a huge mistake and I won't even get into the awfulocity that is their current set.

For this concept, I returned to the teams original colours (lighter bergundy) and eliminated the extraneous circles from the logos. I've heard lots of people on these boards say they didn't know the striping was intended to invoke a mountain range so I decided to make it more obvious. The logo now rests in the middle of a mountain valley. As always C & C very much welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Screenshot2014-06-29at104722AM.png

Looks really good except I would recommend maybe making the hem stripe somewhat symmetrical.

Thanks for the feedback. The hem stripe is assymmetrical on purpose as it's supposed to represent the rock formations of a mountain :)

Anyone else?

I just have to say that this series is by far my favorite NHL series ever on this board. The amount of time and dedication you put into your work is inspiring to say the least. Colorado is unique and a great example of what a modern classic would look like. My favorite is St. Louis however. That alternate makes me want to cry. It's just so beautiful, haha. Ok, maybe I don't want to cry, but dang if it isn't a beauty. Kudos.

The Avs set is very nice, I love the idea of the mountain range hem striping, really unique. I love how the continuation of the hem stripe onto the sleeves actually looks like it's forming a mountain.

I may or may not have asked you this before, and I'm sorry if I have, but what kind of markers do you use? It's amazing how close you get to the actual colors of the team you get.

my only critiques on the avs are that the shoulder logos look odd pointing downward, and that i prefer the original striping. it was a subtle mountain, but most of all, it evoked the flag of denver perfectly.

0001149.jpeg

other than that, great job. i especially love your blues concept

This avs one is great, but for mtns you could use the ones from the Colorado mammoth that are literally mtns

First of all, well done. This is very entertaining and pretty much all of your concepts are fabulous.

Now I'm a huge Avs fan, and I like where you are going with this concept, but on a real jersey the mountain peaks on the sleeves would look kinda wierd. The peaks should probably point up toward the shoulder, otherwise it sort of looks upside down.

I understand your idea of a rocky outline on the bottom of the hem, but it would look a lot better if you simplified it and made it symetrical.

And on another note, I like the darker burgundy.

Lemme first commend you on that Blues alternate. Far and away the best use of the musical bars I've seen.

As for the Avs, I get the reasoning behind the asymmetrical hem striping, but I think the set would benefit from having matching stripes across the board. Sure the mountain ranges are naturally asymmetrical but retranslating that particular design onto other templates can be a hassle. Sports is where you take the natural and adjust it to form something aesthetically fitting to a sports uniform. I don't mean to be preachy and Im more than sure you already know this but you can see why simplified stripes are favorable in cases like this.

I'm really liking your approach in this series. Drawing out your designs enables for more creativity and you're ability to recreate logos to the T by hand is always a great addition :)