Race Track Concepts

raysox

I think you need to rename the Finnish Grand Prix as Finland is not really considered part of Scandinavia.

Actually Finland is a part of Scandinavia, you are probably thinking they are not because their language is not related to any of the other Scandinavian languages (Finnish is related to Hungarian).

This is a really awesome concept series, raysox. I would have came up with something like this, but I'm to afraid of trying something new without someone criticizing me thinking outside the box (I'm now over that). I use to design tracks like this when I was in Middle School. And now that you have brought this up this is what I'm saying:

tumblr_lxcx34cYlH1r54pcz.jpg

(This means that I created a track, but I don't want to hijack your thread.) :P

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

I actually came across the whole Finland/Scandinavia thing while trying to put the word Scandinavia in Finnish. I figured since it would be the only f1 level track in the region, it could be sort of like the Circuit of the Americas.

And by all means do it, DM. More concepts the better!

I think you need to rename the Finnish Grand Prix as Finland is not really considered part of Scandinavia.

Actually Finland is a part of Scandinavia, you are probably thinking they are not because their language is not related to any of the other Scandinavian languages (Finnish is related to Hungarian).

Geographically only part of the north of Finland is in Scandinavia. I'm Finnish so I do know these things btw, not just trying to sound like a know all.

Geographically only part of the north of Finland is in Scandinavia. I'm Finnish so I do know these things btw, not just trying to sound like a know all.

Researching this, you're right about Finland geographically not being a part of Scandinavia. However, culturally (not linguistically) speaking it is related to the Scandinavian nations in addition to Denmark, Iceland, and Greenland. (Sorry that I'm arguing with you over this.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raysox, I recommend you a map key or legend, add some asphalt runoff in the beginning of the runoff areas, thin the track a bit (it is too wide), and (this is just a consideration) I recommend you use Google Earth so you can use the path tool to plot your distance and trace your track on a plot of empty land wherever your track is based in and copy the satellite image to Illustrator (or whatever program you use to make this) to use as an outline to create your track.

Also, here is the track I've just created:

RaceCourseDesign.png
MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

Raysox, have you ever heard of the Ten-Tenths forum? People have been posting racetrack designs there for years, and there are some incredible things being posted there. I think they'd be able to give you some very interesting ideas.

Here's a link: http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59

As for my opinions, here we go:

- the Dutch track seems too angular; not a lot of variation in the corners. The different shortcuts don't make much sense to me, either. Having a couple of shortcuts from turn 5 to 8 or from turn 9 to the 13-14-15 complex would be better than just cutting off a corner or two.

- for the Finland track, there's no way F1 would run that track without having sandtraps in that fast flowing area and a chicane around that long sweeping turn. I'd rather have it the way it is, but the absence of those makes it unrealistic.

- the third track has one aesthetic problem; there are too many parallel straightaways. There are five straights that are totally parallel to each other, and that tends to make the layout look strange. With some different radii on the corners that connect them, that track would look a lot better, and be more challenging for drivers.

The logos for the tracks and the presentation are outstanding. Fantastic work. Good luck with the rest of the series!

Thanks! I'll probably end up posting there sometime tonight!

I'm probably going to redo parts of the Netherlands' track, because everytime I see it, I find something I don't like.

I love the Finland track, and could throw some sand in there somewhere.

FranceLogo.png

This one was sort of difficult because there was a lot of open space. I changed it from the outline I posted earlier. I tried to mix up some slow turns and high speed sections with passing zones in the corners. I settled on France because they don't have a Grand Prix, and a new track would bring one for sure.

France-1.png

Down the long front stretch, into a fast corner, similar to Pocono, and down a straitaway to a 90 degree turn 2. A round turn three down a strait into a very slow and tight hairpin. Then a turn to get you on a quick part of the track. 3 long straits connected by 2 very big turns with changes in elevation, some trees on the right side, and a small vineyard on the left. Then a quick section of chicanes that would create great battles. The stretch after turn 12 brings you to a long turn that will bring you to a strait, then a quick two turns. Turn 15 puts you strait into a long round turn around the stands, similar to turn 5 in Netherlands. Down the stretch and that is a lap at France!

I love looking at these.

I know nothing of racing or track building, but I have been following this and enjoyed your tracks. I just love the look of them. Very Mario Cart/Grand Theft Auto map-from-above feel and look to them.

I love the French logo but the Finnish track is my favorite (though I don't know why...).

I think that more than qualifies you to answer :) The only thing I know about that subject comes from the '07 Eurovision Song Contest. Our commentator explained something along the lines of "although part of the country is in Scandinavia the people don't consider themselves to be Scandinavian'. Not sure how accurate that is, it was after all on Eurovision. ;)

That bit aside, given the amount of drivers from Finland past and present it'd be great to actually have a race in the country. Hey if Sweden could have one, why not Finland?

I settled on France because they don't have a Grand Prix, and a new track would bring one for sure.

Spooky.. I've just caught up on this thread and saw your request for that layout on the previous page and thought "France" before I clicked to page 2. They should have built something like this out in Yvlines. Too bad politics is getting in the way these days.

Have to say, all the concepts are top notch. The logos alone are superb, and the track maps are very well put together.

Are you planning on any gimmicks/unusual quirks on future ones? ie. Yas Marina's underground pit exit and hotel-over-the-track? Not saying a track has to have them, but rather curious to what you may depict.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

France is getting a Grand Prix in the near future that will alternate with the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps (which is stupid since Spa is one of F1's great tracks of the past). I believe it is going to be held at Magny-Cours. Still, the track you created for France is really neat.

Raysox, you designs are pretty good. I love the presentation. I will give my opinion of each track.

- The dutch track is pretty good and has some nice corners, although you should add another short section to connect turn 9 to the turn 13-14-15 chicane section.

- The finnish track has a good layout and some nice corners. It has a good mix of fast straignts and slow corners. I just din;t like the fact that there are no gravel traps at the chicane complex which could be a rwal problem for the drivers if F1 ever decided to have a race in Finland.

- I like the fench track as it's got a nice design and many multiple layouts.

All in all you have some nice track layouts and are getting the hang of this. Keep up the good work.

Whoa, FOUR comments?! Thanks for all the comments.

Brandon

France would actually have elevation change, but I don't know how to show that!

Hathaway

Yeah, I've sort of looked at newer tracks for some inspiration, but nothing like that yet. I was planning a tunnel in my next one, but honestly, I haven't drawn anything that blew me away! So far, I've tried to mix modern and classic corners

Zero

Ugh, I knew they were talking about it, but I didn't know it was going to replace Spa. That and Monaco are by far the best classic tracks. I remember Magny-Cours from F1 2000, which before this year was the extent of my F1 knowledge.

Jimmy

I actually updated both of them on inkscape, but haven't posted them.

• 1 month later...

Archived