Clarence Campbell Bowl/Prince of Wales Trophy

Mr. Krabs

Now this has always driven me crazy. I understand these are not the trophies you're playing for, but look at conference champions in other sports and they give the trophies some respect and not only touch them, but raise them. I really wish the captains (just like Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic and Stevens always did) would at the very least treat it with some cordiality because you've worked hard to get to the finals, so touch it as though you've been handed a ticket to the last round.

Seeing Dustin Brown take just a little glance at the Campbell Bowl like there was something disgusting on it and then pretending it wasn't there was maddening to me and I almost threw something at the TV. I have a bad feeling either Zach Parise or Ryan Callahan will do the same. For crying out loud, there are no cooties on these awards and there are no such things as curses!

Just one guy's opinion. And I've been a die-hard hockey fan my whole life.

It's a tradition. Hockey is probably the one sport among the Big Four/Big Five that has the most odd traditions and you just don't mess with them. Even if you don't believe in superstitions, you go along with it just because, just like growing a playoff beard.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I wonder what the percentages are for teams with conference title touchers in the Cup Finals...

Well, I don't know about total stats, but teams that have touched their conference trophies have only won four of the last ten Stanley Cup finals: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=563750

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I don't think any group of people on earth is more superstitious then athletes.

I think the notion that somehow touching a trophy can impact your play is simply insane, but there's alot of things athletes do that just make no sense on any level.

I don't think any group of people on earth is more superstitious then athletes.

And no athletes are more superstitious than hockey players.

It's a tradition. Hockey is probably the one sport among the Big Four/Big Five that has the most odd traditions and you just don't mess with them. Even if you don't believe in superstitions, you go along with it just because, just like growing a playoff beard.

It's hardly a tradition. The first captain not to touch it was only Lindros in 1997.

Here's a (slightly outdated) visual aid:

didhetouchit.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Devils are 3 for 4 touching the Trophy. Stevens never minded it. I never got this whole "Not Touching It" crap...

I mean, to each their own i suppose, but it just seems silly. Pick the silver up and celebrate...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Now this has always driven me crazy. I understand these are not the trophies you're playing for, but look at conference champions in other sports and they give the trophies some respect and not only touch them, but raise them. I really wish the captains (just like Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic and Stevens always did) would at the very least treat it with some cordiality because you've worked hard to get to the finals, so touch it as though you've been handed a ticket to the last round.

Seeing Dustin Brown take just a little glance at the Campbell Bowl like there was something disgusting on it and then pretending it wasn't there was maddening to me and I almost threw something at the TV. I have a bad feeling either Zach Parise or Ryan Callahan will do the same. For crying out loud, there are no cooties on these awards and there are no such things as curses!

Just one guy's opinion. And I've been a die-hard hockey fan my whole life.

I agree. I look at it like disrespect. These trophies have been around for eons. The Campbell Bowl debuted in 1967 while the Prince of Wales Trophy debuted in 1923. They deserve repect not snubs!!

The Catch of the Day!

I mean yeah its an accomplishment, but there are still four more wins needed to get the greatest trophy in all of sport. This is a nice pat on the back for winning a conference, but there is still one more mountain to climb.

I mean its really just us fans that make a big deal out of it. Once the Devils or Rangers win, the conference champions celebration will be forgotten.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I fully believe that winning the Cup based on whether or not the Captain has touched or did not touch the Conference Championship Trophy is the result of mere coincidence than it is a superstition.

and now that it's becoming more commonplace to not touch it, somebody is going to be wrong. Might as well party with it while you have the chance.

What the 06 Hurricanes did and what the Bruins did last year is the best way to handle it if you decide not to touch it. The team surrounded the table and took a picture, but nobody actually touched the trophy.

edit: nevermind. I've thought about it and that's silly too. If you're going go to that length you might as well pick it up. The best way to handle it is what Iginla did in 04. He picked it up and skated off the ice, but the Flames didn't make a big show out of it. Yep, that's it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's hardly a tradition. The first captain not to touch it was only Lindros in 1997.

Well, I'm an idiot, then. Whoops.

I think teams should celebrate their conference championship trophies. Other sports teams do it, why shouldn't hockey? I don't believe in bad luck at all.

But conference championships don't mean anything in the NHL or NBA. The NBA has tried to change that with by increasinlyg marketing "The Finals" and adding a public trophy celebration for winning the conference, but it just doesn't have any prestige to it. Contrast those leagues to MLB and NFL. Just going to the Super Bowl is huge. It's the biggest game of the year and everyone watches. Winning the pennant in baseball is also so celebrated because until 1969, you had to have the best record in the league to get there, you couldn't just get hot in the playoffs. It was the dynamic of being the champion of a grueling season and being the only team from your league which got to face off against the foreign league, against a team you would never face outside of a World Series. The tradition has carried over in baseball, even though it's obviously been diluted with expanded playoffs and interleague play. Really though, winning the conference is meaningless in hockey and basketball unless you win four more games. In those sports, highlighting a conference win just denotes that you lost the championship round.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The two Conference trophies mean nothing. The Cup is the ONLY thing that matters to the players. You never hear anyone mention, "I want to win the Clarence Campbell Bowl." It's not the ultimate goal and it's just a trophy "hors d'oeuvre". It's the neat little snack to hold you over before the meal. I don't care about a trophy for second place and that's exactly what those two trophies represent for the loser. For the winner, it's completely forgotten. No one ever says, "Hey, we won the Stanley Cup and on top of that we won the Prince of Wales Trophy." They are just two paper weights or door stops and that's what they probably are used for.

The first captain not to touch it was only Lindros in 1997.

A douchebag started a pretty douchey tradition. Can't say I'm shocked.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's silly.

It's more about the frame of mind.

What's really silly is when teams or fans look back and blame a loss on touching it.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived