Clarence Campbell Bowl/Prince of Wales Trophy

Mr. Krabs

The two Conference trophies mean nothing. The Cup is the ONLY thing that matters to the players. You never hear anyone mention, "I want to win the Clarence Campbell Bowl." It's not the ultimate goal and it's just a trophy "hors d'oeuvre". It's the neat little snack to hold you over before the meal. I don't care about a trophy for second place and that's exactly what those two trophies represent for the loser. For the winner, it's completely forgotten. No one ever says, "Hey, we won the Stanley Cup and on top of that we won the Prince of Wales Trophy." They are just two paper weights or door stops and that's what they probably are used for.

You have no respect for hockey history, especially the history of the Prince of Wales trophy...

Those trophies are far more than "paper weights or door stops"...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

So, ignoring the Campbell Bowl is disrespectful, but pissing in the Cup is okay?

Sure. You won it, have your wife fart in it for all I care. Have a friggen blast with the thing because for every Tyler Seguin there's a Shane Doan.

The two Conference trophies mean nothing. The Cup is the ONLY thing that matters to the players. You never hear anyone mention, "I want to win the Clarence Campbell Bowl." It's not the ultimate goal and it's just a trophy "hors d'oeuvre". It's the neat little snack to hold you over before the meal. I don't care about a trophy for second place and that's exactly what those two trophies represent for the loser. For the winner, it's completely forgotten. No one ever says, "Hey, we won the Stanley Cup and on top of that we won the Prince of Wales Trophy." They are just two paper weights or door stops and that's what they probably are used for.

You have no respect for hockey history, especially the history of the Prince of Wales trophy...

Those trophies are far more than "paper weights or door stops"...

Actually, you're wrong. I've probably forgotten more about hockey history than you know. The truth of the matter is, no one cares about those trophies. They don't matter. It's the Cup and that's it. I've never heard anyone talk about how great it was winning either of those trophies. They don't matter. As a Kings fan, I've never heard any member of the '93 team that went to the Cup Finals say a word about the Clarence Campbell Bowl. I've never heard one of them talk about what an honor it was to win it. It's about what a great run they had and that they came up against a better team in Montreal. Ask any hockey player who has won either of those trophies and I guarantee you they don't care about them at all.

At least Parise admitted he wanted to touch it, but the team and the fans told him otherwise. It all makes me wonder what the players and management of the team do with it out of the public eye. Hopefully they carry it there, because I've seen them being celebrated along with the Stanley Cup during the champions' parade.

I wonder what the percentages are for teams with conference title touchers in the Cup Finals...

Well, I don't know about total stats, but teams that have touched their conference trophies have only won four of the last ten Stanley Cup finals: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=563750

Have "only" won 4 of 10?

That's 1 shy of being equal to the number of teams that won it without touching.

Not a big margin of difference there in that stat.

sig-1.png

Would it make the trophies seem more important / relevant if the Stanley Cup finals was billed as the Campbell Bowl champion vs the Wales Trophy champion instead of Eastern champ vs Western champ?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Would it make the trophies seem more important / relevant if the Stanley Cup finals was billed as the Campbell Bowl champion vs the Wales Trophy champion instead of Eastern champ vs Western champ?

That's, more or less, what we had before they renamed the conferences.

But it was still just "conference" champions. I'm saying to place the emphasis on the trophy, regardless of conference name. The conference trophies will obviously never become as iconic as the Stanley Cup, but maybe they could promote them more, like in TV graphics. They could also call the conference finals the Campbell Bowl Finals, and Wales Trophy Finals.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You know, that might be something to consider down the road when realignment turns the league into the Eastern Conference and the Not Quite As Eastern Conference.

The way they promote the conference trophies now is that they bring them out at the end and metaphorically take a crap on them. They could do more because they could never do less, but then again, would promoting them get in the way of the STANLEY CUP UBER ALLES marketing campaigns the league likes to go with?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

But it was still just "conference" champions. I'm saying to place the emphasis on the trophy, regardless of conference name. The conference trophies will obviously never become as iconic as the Stanley Cup, but maybe they could promote them more, like in TV graphics. They could also call the conference finals the Campbell Bowl Finals, and Wales Trophy Finals.

You know what? I really like this idea. The trophies don't have the prestige that the Stanley Cup does, but they still have their own illustrious history. Making them seem a tad more prestigious works for me.

The way they promote the conference trophies now is that they bring them out at the end and metaphorically take a crap on them. They could do more because they could never do less, but then again, would promoting them get in the way of the STANLEY CUP UBER ALLES marketing campaigns the league likes to go with?

The problem I have with not touching the Conference trophies is the way it's played up. CRichardson is right when he says hockey has a lot of weird superstitions that everyone just kind of go along with because that's just how it is. Of course this stuff gets played up as being near-holy behaviour because that's what people whose job it is to promote sports do. So that's fine.

The "don't touch the Prince of Wales Trophy/Campbell Bowl" thing is not one of those weird superstitions. It's something Eric f'ing Lindros started in 1997. Yet it's often treated as this time-honoured tradition by fans, commentators, and players.

It's faux-tradition, for lack of a better term. A relatively new thing that people treat as equally "sacred" as the "don't touch the Stanley Cup until you've won it" thing, the handshake line, or one of the many, many, many things goalies do because of superstition.

I think of it this way they don't wanna touch the Clarence Campbell Bowl or the Prince of Wales Trophy because they want the Cup...but you always see them wearing the West/East championship shirts and hats. Isn't that pretty much the same basic idea

I think of it this way they don't wanna touch the Clarence Campbell Bowl or the Prince of Wales Trophy because they want the Cup...but you always see them wearing the West/East championship shirts and hats. Isn't that pretty much the same basic idea

They aren't marketing replica versions of the Bowl or the Trophy to the fans for highly inflated prices though

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

They aren't marketing replica versions of the Bowl or the Trophy to the fans for highly inflated prices though

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1970s-Coleco-Miniature-Replica-Clarence-Campbell-Official-NHL-Trophy-/380434833257

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1970s-Coleco-Miniature-Replica-Clarence-Campbell-Official-NHL-Trophy-/380434833257

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Would you pay $10 for that thing? I wouldn't.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived