2013 Houston Astros Uniforms

Bouj

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current star is by far the best logo they've ever had. The H star clip art is downright awful and has no usiness being anywhere near a sports uniform ever again. There is a reason it was changed in the first place, and the reason is because it absolutely sucked.

IMO, the current star is very iconic. It's simple, classy, and conveys exactly what it tries to in a very simple package. It's easily my favorite cap logo in all of baseball and I'm stoked it's sticking around.

Which just shows how different people can see the same thing in totally different ways. To me, the current randomly lopped-off star is pretty dull, and completely meaningless. I can see absolutely no purpose behind the missing bit... it certainly isn't aesthetic, and I don't get any meaning from it. I always thought of it as an arbitrary "clean-up" version of the 90' shooting star. I didn't care for that star either, but at least I got it... the missing piece was part of the motion. Now, it's just a chunk that's gone. IMO its a pretty lifeless image to have as a centerpiece for your francise.

The "H" over/ star is probably my favorite MLB cap design ever. Calling it clip art is pretty funny... I'm guessing it predates the concept of clip art by more than a few years. If the old star is "clip art", so is the Cubs' little bear, the A's elephant, the Celtics' shamrock, certainly the Cowboys' star ... just about any older iconic and simplified logo.

Agree 100%. The current randomly lopped star is a lot of things, "iconic" isn't any of them. It just looks really dated to me. It's not awful but it is boring and, for lack of a better term, forced. Conversely, the old H/Star logo works in any era. It's clean, simple, and it doesn't look like a choice driven by the fashion of the time. The H/Star was "built to last."

In any case, whatever the Astros do almost has to be an upgrade over their current look.

Just my opinion.

BB52Big.jpg

The current star is by far the best logo they've ever had. The H star clip art is downright awful and has no usiness being anywhere near a sports uniform ever again. There is a reason it was changed in the first place, and the reason is because it absolutely sucked.

IMO, the current star is very iconic. It's simple, classy, and conveys exactly what it tries to in a very simple package. It's easily my favorite cap logo in all of baseball and I'm stoked it's sticking around.

Which just shows how different people can see the same thing in totally different ways. To me, the current randomly lopped-off star is pretty dull, and completely meaningless. I can see absolutely no purpose behind the missing bit... it certainly isn't aesthetic, and I don't get any meaning from it. I always thought of it as an arbitrary "clean-up" version of the 90' shooting star. I didn't care for that star either, but at least I got it... the missing piece was part of the motion. Now, it's just a chunk that's gone. IMO its a pretty lifeless image to have as a centerpiece for your francise.

The "H" over/ star is probably my favorite MLB cap design ever. Calling it clip art is pretty funny... I'm guessing it predates the concept of clip art by more than a few years. If the old star is "clip art", so is the Cubs' little bear, the A's elephant, the Celtics' shamrock, certainly the Cowboys' star ... just about any older iconic and simplified logo.

Agree 100%. The current randomly lopped star is a lot of things, "iconic" isn't any of them. It just looks really dated to me. It's not awful but it is boring and, for lack of a better term, forced. Conversely, the old H/Star logo works in any era. It's clean, simple, and it doesn't look like a choice driven by the fashion of the time. The H/Star was "built to last."

In any case, whatever the Astros do almost has to be an upgrade over their current look.

Just my opinion.

I agree. Not bad by any means just not great, especially when compared to the h star.

Was it just a coincidence that you used the word CONVERSEly?

Orange/blue, loose the double outline...

astros.jpg

Seriously looks so much better. It can even double as a stylized "A" now too.

Now that I see this, I really hope they go that route (I doubt they will though). Any chance someone could 'shop this up in navy & orange?

I realized something - the current star is fine by itself; it's the juxtaposition with the curvy wordmark that makes the whole thing awful. In fact, when I'm not looking at the star, I imagine it to be a curvy awful star outline to match the wordmark - it's a shock to see that it's actually a decently sharp star outline. With recoloring, it would be fine.

Unpopular opinion:

As excited as I am for a full overhaul, as an AL fan, I'm a little tired of seeing navy/navy, navy/black match-ups constantly...The only non-black, non-navy teams seem to be the A's/ Angels/ Royals/ Blue Jays... So, I was hoping to see either something completely unique or I was going to welcome a red-orange variation. I realize this will be an unpopular opinion...

hence why I feel like as bland as the Padres' new look may be, in the NL, when you match their navy get-up with the Mets or Diamondbacks or Cubs (anyone not named the Brewers, really), you get a nice contrast...so it works for the NL.

• 2 weeks later...

Unpopular opinion:

As excited as I am for a full overhaul, as an AL fan, I'm a little tired of seeing navy/navy, navy/black match-ups constantly...The only non-black, non-navy teams seem to be the A's/ Angels/ Royals/ Blue Jays... So, I was hoping to see either something completely unique or I was going to welcome a red-orange variation. I realize this will be an unpopular opinion...

I'd still like to see the Navy-gold unis from the 90s, but with a change to black instead of navy. There's almost no gold in the AL, and I think it could work.

Anubis.png

Archived