2013 Houston Astros Uniforms

Bouj

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too subtle, in my opinion. It's an H first, an A second, a star third, if you squint. The team name is, essentially, the Stars. Their logo should be a star above all else.

It's actually short for Astronauts.

newastros31.png

Courtesy of NdWas... Best rebrand I've ever seen for the Astros. Please!

I like it!

As do I. Not a big fan of that subtle gradient, but otherwise I think it would make for a perfect set.

A navy blue cap, with a white H and orange ring - can someone mock this up? Maybe an orange cap too (but with a blue ring)

You mean, like this?

newastros2-1.png

That looks fantastic.

Too subtle, in my opinion. It's an H first, an A second, a star third, if you squint. The team name is, essentially, the Stars. Their logo should be a star above all else.

Astronaut means "star sailor." From astro, meaning star, and naut, from the Greek nautes meaning sailor.

So yeah. Astros means "stars."

I think evoking space is more important than having a star, especially since the Cowboys and Rangers use stars just up north from Houston.

I think evoking space is more important than having a star, especially since the Cowboys and Rangers use stars just up north from Houston.

Again, there is zero reason for Houston teams to cede "stars" to any or all DFW teams. It's the Lone Star State. Every team can (and I would argue should) incorporate the star.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Again, there is zero reason for Houston teams to cede "stars" to any or all DFW teams. It's the Lone Star State. Every team can (and I would argue should) incorporate the star.

I'm not saying they should avoid stars, just that it'll take more than stars to make it scream "Astros." There is a lot more in aerospace imagery/iconography than just stars.

I'm not saying they should avoid stars, just that it'll take more than stars to make it scream "Astros." There is a lot more in aerospace imagery/iconography than just stars.

They could always try to steal the old Frankfurt Galaxy logo and re-color it:

HoustonAstros_PropPMK01a_SCC_SRGB.png

:P

This is an incorrect statement. For the last time, the word "astro" literally means "star." Having a star as the primary component of their logo is exactly what it would take to make it scream "Astros."

Yes, the team is named the Astros to honour the area's aerospace industry/history. If possible, that should be played up too. I'm just saying a team who's name literally means "Stars" shouldn't downplay stars in the design process.

This is an incorrect statement. For the last time, the word "astro" literally means "star." Having a star as the primary component of their logo is exactly what it would take to make it scream "Astros."

Yes, the team is named the Astros to honour the area's aerospace industry/history. If possible, that should be played up too. I'm just saying a team who's name literally means "Stars" shouldn't downplay stars in the design process.

That's like saying the Chiefs should have an Indian head instead of an arrowhead.

Plus, they already have a star as part of their branding now and it definitely does not scream 'Astros.'

That's like saying the Chiefs should have an Indian head instead of an arrowhead.

Not really.

Here's a better crack at it. A team named the Houston Astros using an H/orbit logo would make as much sense as much sense as the Winnipeg Jets using a logo that depicts an air traffic control tower. Related to the team name while still missing the point.

First it's "colour isn't a vital part of team branding" now it's "teams should actively avoid using the thing they're named after as a logo."

I can't wait to see what else this forum has in store.

Plus, they already have a star as part of their branding now and it definitely does not scream 'Astros.'

Actually the star logo is the only part of their current set that screams "Astros."

Astronaut means "star sailor." From astro, meaning star, and naut, from the Greek nautes meaning sailor.

So yeah. Astros means "stars."

Well, I easily see a star in the design. Why does it have to hit you over the head? It looks like garbage now with that straight-on star design. I like the legacy of the H, and mixing the design with the abstract star-design and the planetary ring is really creative, yet simple.

Problem is, to me anyway, I see the H, A, and ring/orbit all before I see a star. It's subtle abd well designed, no doubt. I just don't think what the team us named after should come off as the third or fourth thing you notice.

This concept is very good, but I don't think it's the divinely inspired masterpiece that some are making it out to be. No Astros uniform can be. This is a rule.

Oh, and while "Astros" certainly refers to Houston being in the space program, which has astronauts, it's not short for "Houston Astronauts" in the style of, say, "New York Knickerbockers." Just thought I'd touch on that before that's allowed to go on much further.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

newastros31.png

Courtesy of NdWas... Best rebrand I've ever seen for the Astros. Please!

Reminds me of the Hornall Anderson design agency here in Seattle. I think they're one of the biggest in the Northwest and world known. Hornall Anderson . Sure it's different but the HA is close enough in concept that I'd think they'd steer clear, especially since HA has their fingers in sports too having designed the id for the Sonics and for the Sounders.

If the Astros want to do something other than a star (likely an alternate sleeve path or logo), they can try a Saturn-like (read: ringed) or crescent planet.

Possibly, said planet could be a crescent, ringed planet--like what you'd see from a spacecraft picture of a crescent Saturn (and you can't see that unless you get more or less on the side of the planet opposite the Sun, which is a fitting alternate logo for the Astros, IMO).

That said, a star should be at the forefront, in terms of priority, whether it's an updated H-Star or Shooting Star.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I'm afraid it's gonna be a cluster. I hope to God they return to the H-star cap...orange or navy. The current "shooting star" cap that just sits there, with the missing part on its side, is a terrible design. Fix the damn star so it's a star. I hope it's nearly exactly like the 60s unis with a slight modification to the the wordmark. Minute Maid will look great in orange and blue, and it's gonna cost Crane an arm and a leg to re-brand the property. No biggie, he's got the coin.

The star is open so the negative space looks like the astronaut pin:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/NASA-ASTRONAUT-PIN-LOGO-HAT-US-PILOT-CREW-SPACE-SHUTTLE-APOLLO-SPACE-STATION-USA-/00/$(KGrHqYOKkQE1r4Vh1gFBNcWjW0dsQ~~_3.JPG

70389454.png

This concept is very good, but I don't think it's the divinely inspired masterpiece that some are making it out to be. No Astros uniform can be. This is a rule.

Oh, and while "Astros" certainly refers to Houston being in the space program, which has astronauts, it's not short for "Houston Astronauts" in the style of, say, "New York Knickerbockers." Just thought I'd touch on that before that's allowed to go on much further.

And before it comes up, Mets is NOT short for Metropolitans. It's Mets, just plain Mets, as Joan Payson would've said.

(And this despite the fact that their corporate letterhead in the early days said "New York Metropolitan Baseball Club, Inc.")

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I wish it were, so maybe fewer people would say "derp what's a met"

Well what the heck is a "Metropolitan"? Who says "oh, that George is a fine metropolitan man."? What's the opposite of metropolitan - hayseed?

While the shortened "Mets" is cute and has a certain charm, "Metropolitans" is dumb, just like "Nationals" is dumb (again, who identifies themselves as a "national" in 2012?), "Federals" is dumb, etc. I get that some of these names were used at the turn of the 20th century when times were different, but I would think that Metropolitans was as corny in the '60s as Nationals is now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived