Charlotte 49ers - Error

$teauA

I think the "X" makes the first logo look more dynamic and anti-authority, but the check of the second logo does add some flow and creates more balance. Upgrade.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Also of note, on the primary logo you will see that the tip of the pick axe "curls" more towards the left and isn't as slanted to the right like it is in the secondary logo. It is supposed to look like it does in the primary.

OK...here's the deal: Charlotte uses a somewhat unique shade of Gold, and has designated a Tan color as a flat, non-metallic alternate. So, the color discrepancy is due to that to an extent.

I have more graphics than what I'm presenting here, but here's the current lot of primary marks, secondary marks, and wordmarks.

Primary Mark (metallic):

NorthCarolinaUOf-Charlotte_ATHPMK01a_2000-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Primary Mark (non-metallic):

NorthCarolinaUOf-Charlotte_ATHPMK01b_2000-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Secondary Mark 1 (metallic):

NorthCarolinaUOf-Charlotte_ATHSMK01a_2000-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Secondary Mark 1 (non-metallic):

NorthCarolinaUOf-Charlotte_ATHSMK01b_2000-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Secondary Mark 2 (metallic):

NorthCarolinaUOf-Charlotte_ATHSMK02a_2000-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Secondary Mark 2 (non-metallic):

NorthCarolinaUOf-Charlotte_ATHSMK02b_2000-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

...more to come...

...continuing...

Wordmark (metallic):

NorthCarolinaUOf-Charlotte_ATHWMK01a_2000-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Wordmark (non-metallic):

NorthCarolinaUOf-Charlotte_ATHWMK01b_2000-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Youth Mark:

NorthCarolinaUOf-Charlotte_ATHYMK01a_2006-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

And as a bonus, here are a couple of official marks prior to 2000, when the current set was released...

Primary Mark:

NorthCarolinaUOf-Charlotte_ATHPMK01a_1946-1999_SCC_SRGB.png

Wordmark:

NorthCarolinaUOf-Charlotte_ATHWMK01a_1946-1999_SCC_SRGB.png

Why does a team in North Carolina have the 49ers nickname?

Is there any regional or historic significance? It would make sense if they were in the Bay Area or the Northwest.

Am I missing something??

The nickname "49ers" derives from the fact that the university's predecessor?Charlotte Center of the University of North Carolina (CCUNC - established in 1946) was saved from being shut down by the state in 1949 by Bonnie Cone, when the Charlotte Center became Charlotte College. Due to this "49er spirit" that Cone felt embodied the University, referring to the settlers that endured much hardships in traveling across the United States to seek fortune in the California Gold Rush, students of the fledgling UNC Charlotte chose "49ers" as the school's mascot. The fact that the site of the U.S.'s first major gold discovery, Reed's Gold Mine, is located nearby may also be a contributing factor to the nickname. The fact that the University's Main Campus front entrance is located on North Carolina Highway 49 is pure coincidence.

My link

The Charlotte branch of the University of North Carolina was founded in 1949, hence the nickname. They adopted the mascot because... well, what else are you gonna have represent a 49er? Although I think Charlotte does have some mining history of its own.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

I think the "X" makes the first logo look more dynamic and anti-authority, but the check of the second logo does add some flow and creates more balance. Upgrade.

really-snl.gif

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The Charlotte branch of the University of North Carolina was founded in 1949, hence the nickname. They adopted the mascot because... well, what else are you gonna have represent a 49er? Although I think Charlotte does have some mining history of its own.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Reed Gold Mine is located about 20 miles away from campus and is the site of the first documented commercial gold find in the United States (happened in 1799).

---

Those logos look amazing ColorWerx. Thanks so much posting those. By the way, the "Youth Mark" you posted, where did you find that? I attended Charlotte and have closely followed the University for over a decade now and I've never seen that logo anywhere, on or off campus.

A few random points:

The old school wordmark is one of my favorite logos anywhere, although I am a bit biased.

With football starting in August of 2013 there should be a lot more "football logos" type stuff coming out. Should be interesting to see what they'll do with the uniforms. I'm hearing they will be equipped by Nike.

The University also uses these other logos that are basically the secondary mark with a different type of ball in the middle depending on the sport (basketball, tennis, golf, football etc.). They have one for track as well and that just has the outline of a runner. Are there high res versions of that anywhere?

By the way, the "Youth Mark" you posted, where did you find that? I attended Charlotte and have closely followed the University for over a decade now and I've never seen that logo anywhere, on or off campus.

It's been on various official logosheets since at least 2006.

With football starting in August of 2013 there should be a lot more "football logos" type stuff coming out. Should be interesting to see what they'll do with the uniforms. I'm hearing they will be equipped by Nike.

I have a 2013 football mark that I chose not to post here; not sure it it's "safe" to do so.

The University also uses these other logos that are basically the secondary mark with a different type of ball in the middle depending on the sport (basketball, tennis, golf, football etc.). They have one for track as well and that just has the outline of a runner. Are there high res versions of that anywhere?

I've got all of them...I'll try to post later...

vpxdh0.jpg

That is also listed on the team page on this site http://sportslogos.net/team.php?id=639

That was practically never used. It was a misguided attempt by the AD to limit the confusion when the AD officially announced they would go simply by Charlotte and not UNC Charlotte or UNCC (similar to how Virginia Tech athletics are called Virginia Tech but the name of the university is Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University).

It was never really used though. In my opinion it's pretty much an abomination. I hate the "UNC" garbage attached to our name. We should simply be University of Charlotte or Charlotte University. 25,000 strong and been around for 66 years and still get confused in our own city with the tarhole thrash 2 hours north.

By the way, the "Youth Mark" you posted, where did you find that? I attended Charlotte and have closely followed the University for over a decade now and I've never seen that logo anywhere, on or off campus.

1) It's been on various official logosheets since at least 2006.

2) I have a 2013 football mark that I chose not to post here; not sure it it's "safe" to do so.

3) I've got all of them...I'll try to post later...

1) That's so interesting. Maybe they've had it at youth camps.

2) Is PM safe if I swear on all that is holy that I will not make it public ok?

3) I really appreciate it! Thank you very much for all this.

The 2013 football mark sure is ugly (I have it as well). I hope the helmet graphic in it isnt final because Charlotte is gonna be looking pretty lame if so.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

OMG that made me lol!!

am i the only one that's never heard of Charlotte?

The 2013 football mark sure is ugly (I have it as well). I hope the helmet graphic in it isnt final because Charlotte is gonna be looking pretty lame if so.

If it's the secondary mark 2 with a football in the middle of "C" then I can confirm it won't be that. From what I've heard from people "in the know" it will be the primary logo showing up on the helmets.

2j11z5u.png <--- It won't be what you see on the banner in this image if that's what you were thinking.

The other "leak" I've seen is a weird "inverse" coloring version of the primary on a pearly white helmet which I thought looked pretty ridiculous.

OMG that made me lol!!

Definitely not. It's not your fault either. Our marketing department doesn't really have any idea how to market the university and couple that with fact that our name causes a hell of a lot of confusion it's no surprise. People in Charlotte barely know about Charlotte and it's a fledgling University with over 25,000 students, 100,000 alumni.

Men's basketball program went to the Final Four in 1977. Men's soccer program has reached the College Cup a couple of times, including the title game last year when they lost 1-0 in a heartbreaker to the exact school that is at the root of pretty much all of our problems (UNC-Chapel Hill). Still haven't quite gotten over that one.

Men's basketball also had as run of making the NCAAs 10 out of 15 seasons from 1992 to 2005 (never advancing past the second round however).

US News & World Report considers it a Tier II university and one of the top ten "up and coming" universities in the country.

It really is a great place and it's gonna keep getting better. I see you have some Houston teams in your signature. Charlotte just joined the "new" Conference USA and will be together with North Texas, UTSA, UTEP and Rice so we'll be seeing quite a bit of Texas in the coming years.

Football starts next August at FCS level for two seasons then joins C-USA full time as a FBS member in 2015.

Here's the on campus stadium webcam link http://oxblue.com/open/rodgersbuilders/charlotte49ers

And here's another link from the biggest online fan forum about our name confusion issues. As you can see it goes for a few pages http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=14909.0

It has the primary on it, but it doesnt look that good, maybe it will look better in reality.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

OMG that made me lol!!

Definitely not. It's not your fault either. Our marketing department doesn't really have any idea how to market the university and couple that with fact that our name causes a hell of a lot of confusion it's no surprise. People in Charlotte barely know about Charlotte and it's a fledgling University with over 25,000 students, 100,000 alumni.

Men's basketball program went to the Final Four in 1977. Men's soccer program has reached the College Cup a couple of times, including the title game last year when they lost 1-0 in a heartbreaker to the exact school that is at the root of pretty much all of our problems (UNC-Chapel Hill). Still haven't quite gotten over that one.

Men's basketball also had as run of making the NCAAs 10 out of 15 seasons from 1992 to 2005 (never advancing past the second round however).

US News & World Report considers it a Tier II university and one of the top ten "up and coming" universities in the country.

It really is a great place and it's gonna keep getting better. I see you have some Houston teams in your signature. Charlotte just joined the "new" Conference USA and will be together with North Texas, UTSA, UTEP and Rice so we'll be seeing quite a bit of Texas in the coming years.

Football starts next August at FCS level for two seasons then joins C-USA full time as a FBS member in 2015.

Here's the on campus stadium webcam link http://oxblue.com/open/rodgersbuilders/charlotte49ers

And here's another link from the biggest online fan forum about our name confusion issues. As you can see it goes for a few pages http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=14909.0

This is the exact situation, to a 'T', here at UW Milwaukee. Except the part about the football team... most of our administrators are still stuck in 1975 and don't understand why a "commuter campus" needs a football team. The fact that Bucky insists on monopolizing all scholarship football (and hockey) in the Dairy State doesn't help matters either.

Archived