Charlotte 49ers - Error

$teauA

I think the "X" makes the first logo look more dynamic and anti-authority, but the check of the second logo does add some flow and creates more balance. Upgrade.

OMG that made me lol!!

am i the only one that's never heard of Charlotte?

Definitely not. It's not your fault either. Our marketing department doesn't really have any idea how to market the university and couple that with fact that our name causes a hell of a lot of confusion it's no surprise. People in Charlotte barely know about Charlotte and it's a fledgling University with over 25,000 students, 100,000 alumni.

Men's basketball program went to the Final Four in 1977. Men's soccer program has reached the College Cup a couple of times, including the title game last year when they lost 1-0 in a heartbreaker to the exact school that is at the root of pretty much all of our problems (UNC-Chapel Hill). Still haven't quite gotten over that one.

Men's basketball also had as run of making the NCAAs 10 out of 15 seasons from 1992 to 2005 (never advancing past the second round however).

US News & World Report considers it a Tier II university and one of the top ten "up and coming" universities in the country.

It really is a great place and it's gonna keep getting better. I see you have some Houston teams in your signature. Charlotte just joined the "new" Conference USA and will be together with North Texas, UTSA, UTEP and Rice so we'll be seeing quite a bit of Texas in the coming years.

Football starts next August at FCS level for two seasons then joins C-USA full time as a FBS member in 2015.

Here's the on campus stadium webcam link http://oxblue.com/open/rodgersbuilders/charlotte49ers

And here's another link from the biggest online fan forum about our name confusion issues. As you can see it goes for a few pages http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=14909.0

This is the exact situation, to a 'T', here at UW Milwaukee. Except the part about the football team... most of our administrators are still stuck in 1975 and don't understand why a "commuter campus" needs a football team. The fact that Bucky insists on monopolizing all scholarship football (and hockey) in the Dairy State doesn't help matters either.

The thing is Charlotte used to be a commuter school and some still have the idea that it is but the facts say otherwise. Something like over 75% of those 25,000 live on or within 1.5 mi of the campus and over 90% dont live further out than 5 mi. In other words, the University Area (as it is known here in Charlotte) is filled to the brim with students. The problem is that the area immediately surrounding our campus was not designed with a huge on campus FBS football stadium university so its not too easy to get around on foot which is why I think that idea of commuter school still lingers with some. Its getting better all the time though and in 2017 a light rail line will come all the way to campus and connect it to downtown Charlotte (about 10-15 mi away). Thats gonna be huge. No more drunk driving or DDs to go out downtown.

I hope things improve in Milwaukee as well. I definitely feel for you. We've made huge strides here in the last decade but so much of that was alumni driven. We dont have the most forward administration either (the fact that "UNC" is still in the name, no med school and no law school yet are all direct proof of that). Football was a big step in the right direction though.

I think the "X" makes the first logo look more dynamic and anti-authority, but the check of the second logo does add some flow and creates more balance. Upgrade.

OMG that made me lol!!

am i the only one that's never heard of Charlotte?

Definitely not. It's not your fault either. Our marketing department doesn't really have any idea how to market the university and couple that with fact that our name causes a hell of a lot of confusion it's no surprise. People in Charlotte barely know about Charlotte and it's a fledgling University with over 25,000 students, 100,000 alumni.

Men's basketball program went to the Final Four in 1977. Men's soccer program has reached the College Cup a couple of times, including the title game last year when they lost 1-0 in a heartbreaker to the exact school that is at the root of pretty much all of our problems (UNC-Chapel Hill). Still haven't quite gotten over that one.

Men's basketball also had as run of making the NCAAs 10 out of 15 seasons from 1992 to 2005 (never advancing past the second round however).

US News & World Report considers it a Tier II university and one of the top ten "up and coming" universities in the country.

It really is a great place and it's gonna keep getting better. I see you have some Houston teams in your signature. Charlotte just joined the "new" Conference USA and will be together with North Texas, UTSA, UTEP and Rice so we'll be seeing quite a bit of Texas in the coming years.

Football starts next August at FCS level for two seasons then joins C-USA full time as a FBS member in 2015.

Here's the on campus stadium webcam link http://oxblue.com/open/rodgersbuilders/charlotte49ers

And here's another link from the biggest online fan forum about our name confusion issues. As you can see it goes for a few pages http://ninernation.net/index.php?topic=14909.0

This is the exact situation, to a 'T', here at UW Milwaukee. Except the part about the football team... most of our administrators are still stuck in 1975 and don't understand why a "commuter campus" needs a football team. The fact that Bucky insists on monopolizing all scholarship football (and hockey) in the Dairy State doesn't help matters either.

The thing is Charlotte used to be a commuter school and some still have the idea that it is but the facts say otherwise. Something like over 75% of those 25,000 live on or within 1.5 mi of the campus and over 90% dont live further out than 5 mi. In other words, the University Area (as it is known here in Charlotte) is filled to the brim with students. The problem is that the area immediately surrounding our campus was not designed with a huge on campus FBS football stadium university so its not too easy to get around on foot which is why I think that idea of commuter school still lingers with some. Its getting better all the time though and in 2017 a light rail line will come all the way to campus and connect it to downtown Charlotte (about 10-15 mi away). Thats gonna be huge. No more drunk driving or DDs to go out downtown.

I hope things improve in Milwaukee as well. I definitely feel for you. We've made huge strides here in the last decade but so much of that was alumni driven. We dont have the most forward administration either (the fact that "UNC" is still in the name, no med school and no law school yet are all direct proof of that). Football was a big step in the right direction though.

"Filled to the brim" is a prefect description of what's happening here. Dorms have been going up all over Milwaukee's east side because there's just not enough space zoned for student housing. We do have Downer Woods, which is more-less a useless patch of forest on campus that's large enough for a football stadium, dorms and probably a new basketball arena. It's mandated by the UW system (the one in Madison) that we keep it because it's supposedly a sanctuary for a lot of wildlife, but the only animals that actually live there and invasive species... and stoners (which could also be considered an invasive species :D).

We don't have a law school or med school either, although our administration has been working with the Medical College of Wisconsin (Marquette's old med school that's now a separate entity). We also opened up the Great Lakes WATER Institute a few years back and now we're one of the leading fresh water researchers in the world. Still, it seems completely unfathomable that the school with the most natives of a football crazed state wouldn't have its own team.

It seems to me that a lot of these commuter school turned urban research universities (Charlotte, Milwaukee, Old Dominion, Georgia State, VCU, USF, UAB, Cleveland State, UIC, etc.) should sit down and hash out solutions some of the problems we all seem to have.

• 2 months later...

Football helmets were officially unveiled today:

mvpw02.jpg

n62dqr.jpg

kop5e.jpg

yo4r7.jpg

6xrtd5.jpg

x0v8qs.png

x3u6xj.png

This will be the first ever helmet in the history of the fledgling program. As anticipated they did not go with the green promotional helmet they have been using since football was announced. They said they went with this design because of how it made the primary logo 'pop' off the helmet and preference of majority of recruits (over other green and gold versions).

Hard to tell in the photos but up close it has green "flakes" that shine when the helmet moves. Nice touch. You can sort of see it better in the last pic. I also like the "49ers" on the front on top of the face guard. Nice small detail.

Predictably some have complained about the plainness of it but I think it's going to look really nice with some green unis and really pop off the green field both in person and on TV.

Finally, if the recruits liked it then I'm all for it, we need to bring good football players in here.

GO NINERS!

PS: Can't wait to see a bunch of these bad boys on the back (I assume this is what they will use for performance decal/stickers)

209j75w.png

Football helmets were officially unveiled today:

[redacted]

This will be the first ever helmet in the history of the fledgling program. As anticipated they did not go with the green promotional helmet they have been using since football was announced. They said they went with this design because of how it made the primary logo 'pop' off the helmet and preference of majority of recruits (over other green and gold versions).

Hard to tell in the photos but up close it has green "flakes" that shine when the helmet moves. Nice touch. You can sort of see it better in the last pic.

Predictably some have complained about the plainness of it but I think it's going to look really nice with some green unis and really pop off the green field both in person and on TV.

Finally, if the recruits liked it then I'm all for it, we need to bring good football players in here.

GO NINERS!

So South Alabama and UNC Charlotte both went with all white helmets? That's kinda lame. I would've liked for them to have stuck with the green helmet.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I actually like these... I could see Charlotte trotting out a white shell, green jersey, gold pants combo that'd look really nice, and more importantly, unlike anything that's been done by a D1 team in recent memory.

Needs more stripes.

Okay, at least one.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I actually like these... I could see Charlotte trotting out a white shell, green jersey, gold pants combo that'd look really nice, and more importantly, unlike anything that's been done by a D1 team in recent memory.

I could see that happen. I'm curious to see what their unis will look like though.

baltimoreravens.png

• 2 months later...

Archived