What are your "rules" & reasons for your sports team fan-ships?

Arts11

I'm a Sharks fan, and have been since they entered my league. San Jose is my hometown and SJ was really wanting a pro team, and I remember driving by the arena when it was being built after school or on the weekends, and to get me into the hockey mode when I was about ten, I started watching hockey, and became a big fan of the New Jersey Devils - I think I just liked their colors and Brodeur was an awesome goalie. However, my favorite goalie of all time is Mike Vernon. So thats kind of how I got into hockey, rooting for the Devils until the Sharks started playing. But when the Sharks took the ice it was Sharks Sharks Sharks. So I guess that you could say the Devils are my little brother team in hockey :). I don't mind some Ducks fans, I've met quite a few in person that are really cool, and we have a fun rivalry. It's the nasty ones that I can't stand. On some other message board they are really nasty, I ignore it usually. Besides I know that not all Sharks fans are nice either. I'm not a fan of when the fans boo "Stars" during the national anthem. I get it, but come on - it's the national anthem, it has nothing to do with the Dallas Stars. My thinking - is learn the difference.

One of my favoite position players was Owen Nolan, and when he was traded, I was living in Philadelphia, and wasn't able to follow the Sharks as much as I could now if I was still in Philly. But I did hear about the trade and was so pissed at the Sharks organization that I almost stopped rooting for them. But I eventually came to terms with the move, besides it worked out and Buster is back. People ask who my favorite player is on the current roster. For a while I was having trouble deciding. I have a soft spot for Patrick Marleau, the guy has been one of the best on the team and has never played for another team - I hope he retires a Shark. Pavelski because he's got some Polish heritage like me. Couture is just fun to watch play the game. Clowe is cool, tough and some of his antics might cross the line his others are just hilarious. I liked Nabby, even though some fans loved to hate him. Boyle is cool and I like his honesty. However in the last few years I've really come to be a big fan of Thomas Greiss. I hope the Sharks give him a chance and if they aren't going to - then let him go to another team ( I just hope that team doesn't come to bite us...).

I became a Cardinals fan when the A's traded Mark McGwire. I used to follow a player and not a team with baseball, but when McGwire retired I just couldn't remove myself from Cardinals Nation, and a few years later when I went to a Cardinals game at the old Busch Stadium (#2?) I knew this was my team. Besides McGwire is back with the organization and all is fairly good. Well, except the fact they seem to be in a bit of funk lately after the hot start, but I kind of expected the funk. I still do have a soft spot for A's and Giants. When I was growing up, it was permissible to root for both the A's and Giants, but before Big Mac was traded I was all about the A's. I still think the A's have some of the best uniforms in the league. The color scheme is awesome. They just need a better/new stadium.

I'm became a Florida Gators fan, during college football season, when I was a freshman or sophomore in high school. I wasn't into college sports and during one of my classes a classmate asked if I watch college sports and if I had a favorite team. I think it was during one of those "Tell your neighbor about yourself" introductions teachers have you do. I told him, no I didn't. He said I should watch over the weekend. So I did, and I came across Florida. I don't remember who they were playing, but there was a Quarterback named Danny Wuerffel, and I thought he was one of the best college QBs. i also enjoyed the school colors and was determined to go to college there, but that never panned out. Still I'm a Gators fan to this day. When I tell people now that I'm a gators fan, but didn't graduate from the there (yet - still could) they assume that I'm a Gators bandwagon fan because of Tim Tebow. The look on their faces when I say nope it was Danny Wuerffel, they are like oh, okay, cool. I have nothing against Tebow. I do understand why people don't particularly like him, and while I agree with some stuff he says and disagree with other stuff, he's a Gator and one of the best Gators ever. I didn't hate Terry Bowden, he was a great coach, I hated that he was damn good, and kept FSU beating the Gators. I think the rivalry is returning, and since I haven't gone to school, I'm sure I'll never fully understand the rivalry.

kind of born into the 49ers family. My Dad was kind of fan, and like Rice and Montana, and there are pictures of me as a kid wearing 49ers colors and gear - which was during their dominance and me living in the Bay Area. Still can't see myself rooting for any other team. I commend Harbaugh for making his own decision on Smith and it paid off. I just hope it wasn't a one-season fluke with Smith. I support Smith and want to see him succeed, but at the same time, I want the 49ers to return to their dominance.

Finally, Warriors fan. Why? Chris Mullin. Not just for his basketball skills, but for what he did off the court in overcoming some tough obstacles. This is why Don Nelson is a favorite of mine. Mullin is one of the best pure shooters of all time. Can shoot right or left handed, some of his crazy shots that went it. Never forget I was at the game, he threw the ball over his head on the baseline and the think went in. Great player, though he couldn't run all that well, but that's okay. He was a very important piece to the dream team and I kind of feel he's being overshadowed. Understandably the dream team had a lot of stars that were more popular than Mully, so that's bound to happen. I'm glad he's got inducted and his # retired, about time. Don't even get me started on the jersey retirement ceremony. That was a sad time for some Warriors fans - Yes, you should voice your opinion, but NOT at any point during the ceremony when one of the greatest Warriors of all time is being honored.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived