Favorite AL & NL MLB Teams?

Ndfreek12

I prefer the NL game because I think it's more interesting to watch the wrinkle of a pitcher hitting than it is to watch Travis Hafner come off the bench to swing his caveman club.

Furthermore, AL fans always exaggerate how bad pitchers are at hitting, but they're statistically getting better every year. Mike Leake of the Reds is batting .375 right now.

And last night, Homer Bailey, a notoriously bad hitter, had two singles and an RBI. Oh, and he threw a complete game. That's far more impressive to me than a complete game in the AL.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First and foremost, Atlanta Braves.

Not a huge fan of the AL, but I tend to like the White Sox because they're Charlotte's parent club, and the Indians because Kevin Slowey plays for them and went to Winthrop.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Furthermore, AL fans always exaggerate how bad pitchers are at hitting, but they're statistically getting better every year. Mike Leake of the Reds is batting .375 right now.

No, they're not.

Pitchers, across MLB, are hitting .122/.156/.152 this season, which is actually the worst statistical record of at least the last 12 years (I'm not going any further back on Fangraphs for this).

Leake is hitting .375... over 18 plate appearances. That's a ridiculously small sample size. That's a regular series or so for an every day player.

No, they're not.

Pitchers, across MLB, are hitting .122/.156/.152 this season, which is actually the worst statistical record of at least the last 12 years (I'm not going any further back on Fangraphs for this).

Leake is hitting .375... over 18 plate appearances. That's a ridiculously small sample size. That's a regular series or so for an every day player.

Damn, I was hoping someone wouldn't look that up. :P.

Still, my point was that pro DH fans always hyperbolize how bad pitchers are at hitting when really they're only about 12 percent lower than the average position player and not the 0 they're made out to be.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't know, I agree that the idea of a DH is stupid, but I'd hate to watch pitchers bat. I guess I'm just fine with the way it is now (for my team).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• 4 weeks later...

NL: Cubs

AL: Twins

I've worked with the Iowa Cubs (Cubs' AAA) for four years, then with the Rochester Red Wings (Twins' AAA) for the next two years. So naturally I became attached to both of them. Plus I'm from Iowa, so both the Cubs and Twins are pretty popular in the area.

AL

Isn't it obvious? I've been a die-hard Twins fan since 1962. In 1961, when the Twins first appeared in Minnesota after the move from Washington, I was 5 years old and was a Yankee fan just because my dad was a Yankee fan. By the age of 6, I realized the Twins were my team for the rest of my life. Besides, North Dakota is Twins territory.

NL

Mostly the Rockies, but the Brewers are a very close second. Both teams are relatively close to North Dakota, and I give the edge to the Rockies just because I have a closer association to Denver than to Milwaukee. So it's mostly about geography. What is interesting is that while Viking and Packer fans absolutely hate each others' teams, Twins and Brewers fans have a friendly rivalry, often rooting for the other team.

AL: Tampa Bay Rays- Been a die-hard Rays fan since they first played in 1998.

NL: Washington Nationals- Grew up cheering for the Expos. I went to George Washington University and love the District. Went to a lot of Nationals games at RFK.

Cincinnati Reds- Live in Cincinnati and have been to 13 games this year so you could say I'm a Reds fan. My dad loves the Reds and I'm an Ohioan so it's sort of in my blood.

mcbqza.jpg

AL: Angels (and, to an extent, Baltimore....I grew up going to O's games)

Really? I thought you were a fan of all Detroit sports teams.

Nope. Just the Lions and Wings. I do like the Tigers, but I don't consider them to be a favorite team.

NL: Reds. Growing up in Southern Ohio, I casually molded into fanhood, but in the past 5 or so years, with the team starting to learn how to win, and going to annual Redsfest conventions and vastly expanding my autograph/memorabilia collection while "getting to know" the team solidified it.

Moving to Oregon a year ago hasn't really seemed to convince me to convert to another team, as it seems that people here, especially in Southern Oregon (where people don't seem to give a damn about anything) tend to lean toward the Giants, or whatever California team they were fans of before moving up North.

Visited the Bay Area a few weeks ago, and I felt attracted to the Giants, having such a beautiful ballpark (actually utilizing splash hits) and a pitching staff that actually works (had I stayed one more day I'd have seen Cain's perfect game, but Bumgarner hit a HR, +1 for NL), it seemed like a "perfected" version of the Reds. Don't want to jump on the bandwagon, but I like what I see. Just as long as they lose to the Reds.

On a further note, as much as I would love Oakland to get a new park, I hope they don't settle in San Jose. Whatever A's fans exist there are sparse and live in holes. Also, the public transit has built itself around the Giants, and almost purposefully avoids Oakland altogether. Wherever the A's decide to move, it should be on the East Bay.

AL: I guess I'll lean toward the Tigers, forget the Indians, and the pull for the Royals when they play against St. Louis, but as a Reds fan, as much as I dislike the Cubs I think I like the Sox even less...Largely though I don't seem to care much for any AL team. I never pull for AL players in the All Star Game or Home Run Derby, and unless the Cardinals are in the Series I always root for the NL team. Also, screw the Yankees

When I lived in Dayton and attended Dragons games, it felt strange to have a DH there. But as much as I love the NL, seeing as just about any form of pro baseball has the DH rule waters down the appeal of not having it. I would compare the AL/NL difference to a basketball league with a conference having a college 3-point line and another having a NBA 3-point line. Either both leagues should use a DH, or neither should. That's where I draw the line (pun).

• 1 month later...

NL: Cardinals and Nationals

AL: Orioles.

I'm a Cards fan because I was born (now living in) St. Louis. I like the Nats because after leaving St. Louis I moved to Virginia. The Nats are the closest team. (I like the O's for the same reason.)

I don't know, I agree that the idea of a DH is stupid, but I'd hate to watch pitchers bat. I guess I'm just fine with the way it is now (for my team).

It's not that bad. I've survived. Why not reduce to absurdity and have everyone play on only one side of the inning, to contort a football term?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived