Recent MLB expansion teams logo changes

ldswoosh33

Gothamite and McCall pretty much summed it up. Pinstripes are a bold design element. When used, I think they have to stand on there own with a solid colored cap. I think adding a contrasting brim is overkill, sort of like combining placket piping, racing stripes or cuffs with a pinstriped jersey. One two many design elements getting thrown in. Also, with almost no exception, the cap should be the color of the pinstripes. The Marlins inaugeral set still looked good with the the black caps, but it also had black numbers to balance it out somewhat. The Rockies should wear purple caps with the pinstripes and, of course, change the numbers to purple.

This is why those striped stirrups that one kid is pushing for would look absurd with the home uniform.

And now that Jamie Moyer has been cut, his movement may have been destroyed.

spacer.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a nice idea, and I realize that you used kelly green instead of teal, but to me it looks too much like the colors the Diamondbacks should still be wearing.

Ah yes, the D-Backs.

Well since you mentioned them... *** SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT #2"

(This one didn't really go over all that well though)

ARZdbacks_stylebook1.png

ARZdbacks_stylebook2.png

ARZdbacks_stylebook3.png

ARZdbacks_stylebook4.png

ARZdbacks_stylebook5.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It's a nice idea, and I realize that you used kelly green instead of teal, but to me it looks too much like the colors the Diamondbacks should still be wearing.

As far as I'm concerned, the D-Backs aren't using those colors anymore, so the Rockies can run with it.

Ah yes, the D-Backs.

Well since you mentioned them... *** SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT #2"

(This one didn't really go over all that well though)

ARZdbacks_stylebook1.png

ARZdbacks_stylebook2.png

ARZdbacks_stylebook3.png

ARZdbacks_stylebook4.png

ARZdbacks_stylebook5.png

I really like your "A" logo, but I would never want their D shaped snake logo to disappear.

Well, this is easy to answer.

Of those 4 teams, the Rockies had the most non-flashy look when entering the league, which is why their look has survived these 20 years.

The Marlins, D-Backs, and Devil Rays started out with uber-90s looks and colors, as if they were almost expecting to have to change identities at some point in the near future.

Meanwhile, a black-first look with purple and silver trim, along with a ho-hum wordmark and font, really won't ever expire.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I actually felt the D-Backs' original look was very good, and they won a World Series wearing it. I guess black and red fit an Arizona team better, but the original purple color scheme was very distinctive.

I actually felt the D-Backs' original look was very good, and they won a World Series wearing it. I guess black and red fit an Arizona team better, but the original purple color scheme was very distinctive.

I actually think all three were so 90s but that's what I like about them. That's part of their identity. They were the new kid on the block. Now both the DBacks and Rays are wearing common colors. The Marlins at least are unique with their orange but apparently are emphasizing black a lot more than I hoped.

Go A's!

I actually think all three were so 90s but that's what I like about them. That's part of their identity. They were the new kid on the block. Now both the DBacks and Rays are wearing common colors. The Marlins at least are unique with their orange but apparently are emphasizing black a lot more than I hoped.

I feel that Marlins actually have a distinctive identity right now in terms of design, but they made the mistake of trying to become an orange and black team rather than sticking with teal.

It's like how the with the D-Backs moving to red and black, that makes the Rockies the lone "purple team" in the MLB. Which is great. The Rockies own that color and their identity could really stand for an overhaul built around that color.

I hadn't thought about it before, but I'd tend to agree. A solid-color cap balances out the busy pinstripes. Makes sense.

As do I. The Rockies were the one of the most recent 4 to get it right. I'd rather they keep what they have then make the mistake of changing for the worse like the Florida/Miami Marlins.

I feel that Marlins actually have a distinctive identity right now in terms of design, but they made the mistake of trying to become an orange and black team rather than sticking with teal.

It's like how the with the D-Backs moving to red and black, that makes the Rockies the lone "purple team" in the MLB. Which is great. The Rockies own that color and their identity could really stand for an overhaul built around that color.

If the Marlins emphasized orange more right now, I'd be OK with it. But it's been mainly black. I do wish teal would have stayed

Go A's!

If the Marlins emphasized orange more right now, I'd be OK with it. But it's been mainly black. I do wish teal would have stayed

They are not going to wear orange caps or orange jerseys primarily, if that's what you're getting at. No pro team, in any sport, wants to primarily wear garish uniforms. They don't sell as well, and they get ugly quick.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Florida Marlins identity/colors were based around marlins.

Miami Marlins identity/colors are based around Miami.

Honestly, I'm not gonna argue with that. They've always been the Marlins. That didn't change. But now they're specifying their location within Florida, one known for it's flamboyant style, nightlife and other features. Who knows, the colors and logos may not be long term. Not saying they'll go back to the old look, but they've set themselves ip to have a "changing with the times" identity.

I hadn't thought about it before, but I'd tend to agree. A solid-color cap balances out the busy pinstripes. Makes sense.

As do I. The Rockies were the one of the most recent 4 to get it right. I'd rather they keep what they have then make the mistake of changing for the worse like the Florida/Miami Marlins.

Couldn't disagree more - the Marlins look great this season, and the Rockies manage the unique balancing act of looking simultaneously looking bland and overly-busy.

They are not going to wear orange caps or orange jerseys primarily, if that's what you're getting at. No pro team, in any sport, wants to primarily wear garish uniforms. They don't sell as well, and they get ugly quick.

I'd see the team a little differently if they wore their orange caps when pairing them with their orange tops. I'm not asking them to wear orange full-time, but it seems like they don't want to wear orange as often

Go A's!

The Rays and DBacks has extremely 90's styled logos upon their inception, so their changes (Rays x2) was necessary.

Outside of a few minor tweaks, the Rox and Fish logos are nice. Yes, they both has 90's colors involved (purple and teal respectively), but they've stood the test of time for about 20 years. Now that the Fish have changed, the Rox would be smart to modify their identity somehow so that it will last another era.

Disagree with the lot of you. Know why the Rockies haven't changed anything since 1993? Because they got it right the first time.

almost

I had a T-shirt with that logo when I was in high school.

Every time I heard someone say that the Rockies are boring and bland, I do think of teams such as the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, and Tigers... all "classic" teams, all "boring and bland". The Rockies have an established look and preferably I don't think they should change. The other thing about the Rockies, is that I have never seen a Rockies design on these boards that is even close to being on par, let alone better than what they are currently wearing.

As far as the other three expansion teams go. The Devil Rays green and blue set was their best. The Marlins original was their best, and the Diamondbacks original set was their best.

Watching the Dodgers in Colorado right now , the only things reminding me this is not a black and silver team are the purple Carlos Gonzalez shirts given out and the Rockies' part of the scorebox being purple.

Sheesh.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Every time I heard someone say that the Rockies are boring and bland, I do think of teams such as the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, and Tigers... all "classic" teams, all "boring and bland".

The Rockies use those filled-in letters that are extremely hard to read at any distance. The Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox and Tigers don't have that problem; they without exception have bold letter designs that are instantly legible.

In addition, none of the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox or Tigers use their nickname on the cap logo, which is an instant disqualifier for "timeless" status.

Plus there's the inexplicable downplaying of purple.

I think they should somehow incorporate the triceratops skull into the logo. I'm not talkin' about some cartoon kiddie Dinger logo... I mean a badass looking skull because they found a skull during the construction of the ballpark. In fact, the first triceratops was found near Denver, CO, so it is part of the city's history.

I'm no artist, so I don't know how this could be done without looking tacky, but there's got to be a way. I think it is always more interesting when an animal mascot is incorporated into the uniform design (hat, specifically). Initials can be great, but they have to look unique because so many other teams have precedence in that area. As much as I hate the Yankees, their initials work. When others try to copy that style (i.e., the Rockies), it just looks like they couldn't think of any original ideas.

If not in the uniform logo, I think they really need to consider incorporating the the triceratops into other areas of advertising and especially during rallying times at the games. What a Ferocious Beast they have to work with, and all they could come up with was Dinger... pathetic. I'm picturing looking at the jumbotron after the Rockies score some runs or play some great defense and seeing some animation of a triceratops stomping or charging other teams' mascots, while making good use of those 3 piercing horns, mind you. I don't know, maybe this is more football material.

At the very least, they should put the triceratops skull they found on display in a glass case at the home plate entrance.

Just some thoughts.

Disagree with the lot of you. Know why the Rockies haven't changed anything since 1993? Because they got it right the first time.

Totally agree! Leave it alone!

THEN

pmpK5w2P.jpg

NOW

TroyTulowitzki.JPG

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived