Recent MLB expansion teams logo changes

ldswoosh33

I think they should somehow incorporate the triceratops skull into the logo. I'm not talkin' about some cartoon kiddie Dinger logo... I mean a badass looking skull because they found a skull during the construction of the ballpark. In fact, the first triceratops was found near Denver, CO, so it is part of the city's history.

I'm no artist, so I don't know how this could be done without looking tacky, but there's got to be a way. I think it is always more interesting when an animal mascot is incorporated into the uniform design (hat, specifically). Initials can be great, but they have to look unique because so many other teams have precedence in that area. As much as I hate the Yankees, their initials work. When others try to copy that style (i.e., the Rockies), it just looks like they couldn't think of any original ideas.

If not in the uniform logo, I think they really need to consider incorporating the the triceratops into other areas of advertising and especially during rallying times at the games. What a Ferocious Beast they have to work with, and all they could come up with was Dinger... pathetic. I'm picturing looking at the jumbotron after the Rockies score some runs or play some great defense and seeing some animation of a triceratops stomping or charging other teams' mascots, while making good use of those 3 piercing horns, mind you. I don't know, maybe this is more football material.

At the very least, they should put the triceratops skull they found on display in a glass case at the home plate entrance.

Just some thoughts.

So what, like Barney and Baby Bop's interracial love child?

Disagree with the lot of you. Know why the Rockies haven't changed anything since 1993? Because they got it right the first time.

Totally agree! Leave it alone!

THEN

pmpK5w2P.jpg

NOW

TroyTulowitzki.JPG

Just because it's gone through little change, doesn't mean it's classic. That's determined by longevity and the overall look, and in the Rockies case, the look itself is far from it and all the color placements make it "expendable". Switching all that black to purple would definitely help and then, while still not "classic", would at least improve it enough to where it's kind of debateable as to whether it's necessary to make an overhaul.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been a fan of the CR cap logo they use. I think if they replaced that with a C similar to the one on the Colorado state flag, change around the fonts a little bit to adjust to that change, and add in some more purple here and there (but keeping black as the primary color), I think they'd make a real nice tweak to their set.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I think they should somehow incorporate the triceratops skull into the logo. I'm not talkin' about some cartoon kiddie Dinger logo... I mean a badass looking skull because they found a skull during the construction of the ballpark. In fact, the first triceratops was found near Denver, CO, so it is part of the city's history.

I'm no artist, so I don't know how this could be done without looking tacky, but there's got to be a way. I think it is always more interesting when an animal mascot is incorporated into the uniform design (hat, specifically). Initials can be great, but they have to look unique because so many other teams have precedence in that area. As much as I hate the Yankees, their initials work. When others try to copy that style (i.e., the Rockies), it just looks like they couldn't think of any original ideas.

If not in the uniform logo, I think they really need to consider incorporating the the triceratops into other areas of advertising and especially during rallying times at the games. What a Ferocious Beast they have to work with, and all they could come up with was Dinger... pathetic. I'm picturing looking at the jumbotron after the Rockies score some runs or play some great defense and seeing some animation of a triceratops stomping or charging other teams' mascots, while making good use of those 3 piercing horns, mind you. I don't know, maybe this is more football material.

At the very least, they should put the triceratops skull they found on display in a glass case at the home plate entrance.

Just some thoughts.

Those are some interesting ideas. It's rather refreshing to hear something that might be considered somewhat "out there" every once in a while, if anything just to mix things up a bit. I've always wondered why they had a dinosaur as a mascot.

I'm not sure about your skull idea as a cap logo, but maybe a shoulder patch? In the meantime, I like the ideas posted here about changing up the fonts and incorporating more purple.

Disagree with the lot of you. Know why the Rockies haven't changed anything since 1993? Because they got it right the first time.

One of the 1993 expansion teams got it right the first time, only it wasn't the Rockies.

6196693038_03d6ecc365_z.jpg

Despite the supposed "art deco" inspiration of the new Marlins unis, these^ scream "South Florida" to me.

I hadn't thought about it before, but I'd tend to agree. A solid-color cap balances out the busy pinstripes. Makes sense.

As do I. The Rockies were the one of the most recent 4 to get it right. I'd rather they keep what they have then make the mistake of changing for the worse like the Florida/Miami Marlins.

Couldn't disagree more - the Marlins look great this season, and the Rockies manage the unique balancing act of looking simultaneously looking bland and overly-busy.

Exactly. Amazing, isn't it?

One of the 1993 expansion teams got it right the first time, only it wasn't the Rockies.

Despite the supposed "art deco" inspiration of the new Marlins unis, these scream "South Florida" to me.

I thought both were fantastic. The Rockies downgraded when they added numbers to the front and put pinstripes on the roads. The 1994-1999 Rockies sets were great. But I'm heavily biased. Wish the purple jerseys said "Rockies" instead of "Colorado". The black vests and the pinstripe vests are hideous.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Despite the supposed "art deco" inspiration of the new Marlins unis, these scream "South Florida" to me.

I thought both were fantastic. The Rockies downgraded when they added numbers to the front and put pinstripes on the roads. The 1994-1999 Rockies sets were great. But I'm heavily biased. Wish the purple jerseys said "Rockies" instead of "Colorado". The black vests and the pinstripe vests are hideous.

Agree about those downgrades. I personally couldn't care less about whether the purples jerseys have "Rockies" or "Colorado" on them, since they are worn both at home and on the road.

I also agree the black vests don't look great. IMO a solid black alt would be better. But seeing those pinstripe vests at a Rockies game I attended in 2009, I thought they looked gorgeous. But like the rest of their identity, it could use some more purple.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Despite the supposed "art deco" inspiration of the new Marlins unis, these^ scream "South Florida" to me.

I never realized that they had two sets of white pants

Go A's!

Maybe I'm missing something but I only see one style of white pants and no more. The others are the road gray. Marlins only had one pair of home pants.

Maybe I'm missing something but I only see one style of white pants and no more. The others are the road gray. Marlins only had one pair of home pants.

You're not missing anything. They are only wearing one set of white pants.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Chuck E Carr looks like he's wearing solid white, though it could be lighting.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Nah, they are definitely gray. Compare his pants colors to those of Bryan Harvey. They are the same color, and Harvey is definitely on the road in his pic. If anything, Harvey's look a little brighter.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Great googily moogily...how I miss those.

See, kids? This is a prime example of how teal CAN look good...without overrunning it with a crapload of black. (You listening up there, Khan???)

Now see, being that, stylistically, the Fish and Rox's sets were virtually similar, had the Rockies simply utilized purple the same way the Marlins did with their teal here, it would have been amazing...and then they would've gotten it right the first time. (And could you imagine how games between the two clubs would've looked? OMIGODD...BEEEYOOTIFULL. /valleygirlaccent)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Great googily moogily...how I miss those.

See, kids? This is a prime example of how teal CAN look good...without overrunning it with a crapload of black. (You listening up there, Khan???)

Now see, being that, stylistically, the Fish and Rox's sets were virtually similar, had the Rockies simply utilized purple the same way the Marlins did with their teal here, it would have been amazing...and then they would've gotten it right the first time. (And could you imagine how games between the two clubs would've looked? OMIGODD...BEEEYOOTIFULL. /valleygirlaccent)

Teal and purple jerseys don't sell well. I don't blame either team for abandoning those colors.

Nah, they are definitely gray. Compare his pants colors to those of Bryan Harvey. They are the same color, and Harvey is definitely on the road in his pic. If anything, Harvey's look a little brighter.

Carr is what I was looking at and it has to be lighting because it looks way ligther than what Harvey is wearing

Go A's!

Archived