Minor League Football - Discussion and Logos

Artisan219

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another great set of logos, can't wait to see them finished. Tritons is especially good. Agreed with @Bassman7277 about the Long Island name though, I think it would be better to choose something more unique to the island like Beacons.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

It refers to "rogue elephant" which refers to enraged bull elephants during musth (a huge spike in testosterone which causes a sort of madness). Such elephants are known to be violent, destructive, and rather unpredictable. While there is no clear-cut correlation here, rogue elephants are indeed a real phenomenon and Toronto being in Canada, I thought the mammoth could fit with the northern theme.

It refers to "rogue elephant" which refers to enraged bull elephants during musth (a huge spike in testosterone which causes a sort of madness). Such elephants are known to be violent, destructive, and rather unpredictable. While there is no clear-cut correlation here, rogue elephants are indeed a real phenomenon and Toronto being in Canada, I thought the mammoth could fit with the northern theme.

Ah. That makes sense now. Again, fantastic hand-drawn logo, probably your best effort so far. Wish I had that kind of natural talent.

Cohenj.png

The Rogues logo is really nice. My suggestions would be:

Put more shadow around the eye(like it appears in your sketch)

The trunk seems too short. Maybe you can make it a little longer and curve it to follow the tusks?

You could probably cut down on the "wooliness" by the ear. It would simplify the design nicely, I think.

Overall, one of the best elephant logos I have ever seen.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

One thing I would say is at first glance on the hand-drawn one I thought the grooves on the trunk formed a nose and a mouth shape. This isnt easily noticable on the coloured version but I guess once you've seen something you cant 'un-see' it. Maybe the suggestions by undead to elongate the trunk would solve this?

Other than this being very picky it is an awesome logo!

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Just to throw my $0.02 in... by putting the "Dakota" team in Sioux Falls, you lose out on a large part of the Northern Minnesota market not to mention impinging on the Omaha area. I would recommend placing it in Fargo (home of the 2011 FCS Champion NDSU Bison). You can get all of North Dakota, northern Minnesota and even into Canada. I also would recommend Dakota Thunderbirds.

The wrinkles on the trunk do look like a nose and mouth, and the rest of the trunk a beard. I'd shorten/shrink the wrinkles and play around with the shape of the trunk.

rATMcmK.png

It's a fantastic drawing, and a good name idea for Dakota. My only problem with the logo is that it's a little too complicated. I think there are too many colors at the top and the place around the eye is a little complicated (unless that's what the bird actually looks like :).) Another very well-done concept.

Cohenj.png

Your logos are fantastic, you certainly have a knack for bringing your original sketches to life. But I'd like to see some variety, straying away from the usual animal heads. Take your Tritions logo as an example. It certainly stands out and is a step in the right direction.

Midway.png

It's a fantastic drawing, and a good name idea for Dakota. My only problem with the logo is that it's a little too complicated. I think there are too many colors at the top and the place around the eye is a little complicated (unless that's what the bird actually looks like :).) Another very well-done concept.

I can take another crack at it later on, but in any event, here's a picture of a kestrel.

american_kestrel_3a.jpg

did you ever decide for Charleston?

Not really, no. My favorite so far is still the Charleston Stingrays, though I could try a man-of-war jellyfish logo for Charleston Stingers. My unwillingness to consider any Confederate concepts really diminishes my options. Palmettos was a good idea, but I think that (as a state symbol) it would fit more for a college team than for a professional or semi-professional team.

Your logos are fantastic, you certainly have a knack for bringing your original sketches to life. But I'd like to see some variety, straying away from the usual animal heads. Take your Tritions logo as an example. It certainly stands out and is a step in the right direction.

Right direction? Doesn't that seem just a tad condescending? :P

Most teams with animal names use animal heads (Seahawks, Eagles, Jaguars), if not the whole animal (Dolphins, Falcons, Lions). Hell, even Houston uses a bull's head for a non-animal team. Other than the Chicago Bears, most teams with animal names that don't use the actual animal in their logo are college teams.

But your point is still valid. I have non-animal logos planned for Connecticut (yes, it has a tentacle, but the trident is the core of the logo and it isn't a full head), Albuquerque, Columbus, Harrisburg, Oklahoma, Iowa, Louisville, Memphis, Birmingham, and Orlando (while I'm still considering a new Tuskers logo, I am going to do an Orlando Ogres logo).

Harrisburg Hazards

While admittedly I doubt Harrisburg would like to be celebrated for Three Mile Island, I really only had so many options for the area. Also, while the city is closer to Philadelphia than Pittsburgh, I ended up using black and yellow, not so much as a nod to the Steelers but just because those are the normal colors for caution signs. In any case, I had to be careful not to overlap my Albuquerque Aliens logo too much. Also, just so you know, this logo isn't vector-traced, it's just a Photoshop image I threw together as a proof of concept.

(Being a fan of The Simpsons, I did try purple and orange as an homage to Homer's Springfield Meltdowns concept, but it just looked a little off).

Harrisburg.png

did you ever decide for Charleston?

Not really, no. My favorite so far is still the Charleston Stingrays, though I could try a man-of-war jellyfish logo for Charleston Stingers. My unwillingness to consider any Confederate concepts really diminishes my options. Palmettos was a good idea, but I think that (as a state symbol) it would fit more for a college team than for a professional or semi-professional team.

So why not the Swampfoxes? Named after Francis "the Swamp Fox" Marion. He was a Revolutionary War (between US and England) Lt. Col and Brig Gen. and was the leader of the armys of SC. Also the Francis Marion National Forest is between Charleston and Myrtle Beach. you literally drive through it on the way up! But Charleston Stingers is kind of generic and boring for the city. Also, it's a motto and nickname for quite a few things in the area that aren't that big. It's what I would use to be honest. Also, he was born in Berkeley County, SC... which is North Charleston.

Archived