Another round of "Is This Legal?"

officeglenn

Time for another round of the CCSLC's favourite game show, "Is This Legal?"

Four years ago, I designed this logo for a friend. It was added to a Flickr collection and a Facebook album, both of which were widely circulated at the time.

Today, I was alerted to this website.

Clearly this was at least "inspired" by my work. But there are details that were added/changed from my logo. And I recognize now that I put the work out there without any kind of watermark or identifier.

So the questions are: What, if anything, can be done? Is it different enough that any sort of intellectual property theft claim would be dismissed? Are they doing enough with it that it would be worth pursuing? I don't have the money for lawyers, so I don't particularly want to get too heavily involved in the legalities.

I don't know, but apparently your logo is a "classic"...despite the thievery, how's that feel?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS andΒ Go Sox

You should email them and tell them you are the owner of a local indoor football team and you love the logo and want to use it on the team's helmets. Ask them how much compensation the designer would require for such an endeavor. Then ask them if they'll cut you a deal on a bulk order of decals.

Now THAT should get you an interesting answer.

Try a Cease and Desist form letter threatening further legal action? Unlike a lot of these that I've seen, this guy is clearly trying to profit off your work, so I think you do actually have a very valid case.

They may stop on their own by taking it down, but they'll probably ignore you. If they do that, you would probably have to put in a lot of extra work to accomplish anything, but assuming you can locate the guy, I think you could have it taken down or sue for the revenues acquired through the sale of the decals if you put in the effort.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I did a senators concept back in December of '10 that looked eerily similar to what they unveiled as the new third jerseys, I was almost honored that they would base their new thirds off of my concept, or at least in my mind they did. I would say the best thing to do would be to try and get in contact with the person doing this, that should be the first step, inform him of the situation, and then go from there. Just my 2 cents.

You should email them and tell them you are the owner of a local indoor football team and you love the logo and want to use it on the team's helmets. Ask them how much compensation the designer would require for such an endeavor. Then ask them if they'll cut you a deal on a bulk order of decals.

Now THAT should get you an interesting answer.

I just got a good laugh out of that... I think someone on the board should definitely send that e-mail.

Archived