MLS by mcrosby and capitalcanuck

mcrosby

The San Jose Earthquakes logo might be decent if you'd used the team's proper blue/black/white color scheme. Changing to Sharks teal is a non-starter as far as the fan base will be concerned (and frankly it looks butt ugly in that color scheme to say the least). The ONLY change that MIGHT be acceptable would be going to the NASL Earthquakes rust red. But you're better off sticking with the team's proper blue/black/white. The fanbase fought too long and too hard to keep the blue color scheme to have it thrown away to be Sharks wannabes.

Also not sure trading the San Jose flag sun rays for the concentric circles I presume were supposed to represent earthquake waves is the best way to go about modifying it even if they are a good attempt. A richter line across the soccer ball or back across the word mark like the team had from 2000-07 might be a better way to go.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@bosrs1 idk that was mcrosby's intention to make it sharks like but you will have to ask him on that but I think it's actually an upgrade

Anything that changes the Earthquakes team colors is automatically a downgrade no matter how aesthetically pleasing it might otherwise might be. However it would be interesting to see how his logo looks in the proper blue/black/white color scheme. As for his intention I'd be interested to see what his explanation is, but it seems pretty obvious given that he used the Sharks teal and orange that he intended to copy their color scheme.

@bosrs1 idk that was mcrosby's intention to make it sharks like but you will have to ask him on that but I think it's actually an upgrade

Anything that changes the Earthquakes team colors is automatically a downgrade no matter how aesthetically pleasing it might otherwise might be. However it would be interesting to see how his logo looks in the proper blue/black/white color scheme. As for his intention I'd be interested to see what his explanation is, but it seems pretty obvious given that he used the Sharks teal and orange that he intended to copy their color scheme.

Well hello everyone. I did intend to use the Sharks color scheme but not just to copy the Sharks. Part of it was creating a league where a wide variety of color schemes were used. I couldn't really think of another team that used that particular brand of teal. I think the colors fit San Jose perfectly, even without the Sharks influence. And sorry to say bosrs1, but the colors will be staying.

Well hello everyone. I did intend to use the Sharks color scheme but not just to copy the Sharks. Part of it was creating a league where a wide variety of color schemes were used. I couldn't really think of another team that used that particular brand of teal. I think the colors fit San Jose perfectly, even without the Sharks influence. And sorry to say bosrs1, but the colors will be staying.

Well considering the history of the colors vis-a-vis the fans and that the Quakes had the blue/black/white in MLS long before a team like say Montreal (2000 vs 2012) it make more sense to change a newer team's color scheme. Your choice not to is yours to make of course, but it degrades the value of what you were attempting to do, which is unfortunate. I would have like to have seen your logo in the proper colors.

In all honesty: these colors bore me. I'm going to keep with the so-called Sharks scheme but here is what you're missing out on.

Picture50.png

Pretty classy looking. And while the colors may not be overly unique or bold, they have a history to them and a story that no others in MLS can match which alone overcomes any "bore" factor.

A history that includes being named the Clash for 4 seasons, being relocated to Houston, resuming play after a few seasons and not having the original colors of the NASL franchise they have their name from? They've had some magical seasons and an interesting storyline, but not enough about the colors gives me a reason to keep them.

And yes, Mockba, the NASL ball worked perfect for the team. I pieced together a lot of logos to make a good portion of the crests.

A history that includes being named the Clash for 4 seasons, being relocated to Houston, resuming play after a few seasons and not having the original colors of the NASL franchise they have their name from? They've had some magical seasons and an interesting storyline, but not enough about the colors gives me a reason to keep them.

And yes, Mockba, the NASL ball worked perfect for the team. I pieced together a lot of logos to make a good portion of the crests.

You really have to be a Quakes fan to understand the significance of the colors and the fight to keep them (and the team's name for that matter) when the were put on hiatus in 2005.

I wouldn't change anything with New England or Chivas. I love how the third kit takes the look in a new direction but still does enough to make it identifiable for its respective team.

I'm not feeling the mismatched socks though. Maybe it works if it's made out to be a Nike thing or an Adidas thing but to have multiple manufacturers doing it doesn't quite jive to me.

Is there a bigger version of the New England logo? I love it, just like the DTOM logo it's based on.

While we await the next kits I have a question for all you soccer fans, especially any Yinzers out there.

How would the MLS fare in the Steel City? And what would you call the team? Pittsburgh Yinzers? Steel City? Let's hear it.

-Three Rivers FC

-Triangle FC

-Pittsburgh AC (this was a real team that played in the first pro football game).

Archived