Teams who are currently wearing their best look

Chawls

live+Boston+Bruins+vs+Vancouver+Canucks+nhl+finals+2011+stream.jpg

Almost. Wrong logo though.

The orca looks great. Hope these jerseys stick around a long time.

When they went back to green and blue they should've brought the stick-in-rink with them. They're almost perfect.

Disagree, there is something unique about the "VANCOUVER" arched over the orca, and the Orca sure says a lot more about Vancouver than a stick on a rink, which I personally find extremely bland. Although I find the fact there is more green than blue on the away's a little bit disappointing. The striping pattern and collar on the 40th anniversary jersey is superb though.

van40_260.jpg

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stick-in-rink isn't quite as overrated as the ball-in-glove... actually, you know, I think the ball-in-glove is a better logo, and I hate the thing. The stick-in-rink is even more generic and dumb.

Oh, and to be on topic and unpopular:

capt87330f8430b1472f864d51c7db2e5561whitw_sox__brewers_baseball_wijp111.jpg

...and for me, it's not remotely close.

+1, on all counts

While I disagree on the BiG (I think its awesome), I agree 100% that this is their best set and colors.

Cleveland Indians road uniforms:

145299565_extra_large.jpg

Other than the hat, which is rather bland in my opinion, it's the best road uniform the Tribe has ever worn.

The best would be this one, if they eliminated the double outline on the wordmark.

cleveland-indians-road-grey-mlb-replica-jersey-3158039.jpg

The current roads are much better. That script looks fine with "Indians", but not "Cleveland". And the block C caps are one of the best in baseball, IMO.

I'm just not a fan of the mismatched style between the script homes/road alts and the block roads/home alts.

My problem with the block C is that it's not distinctive in any way. The teams that use single letters on their caps all do so with some kind of distinguishing mark or style. Detroit and Oakland have blackletter, the Cubs have the circular C, Texas has its funky font, Cincinnati has the wishbone, Philly has its distinctive P shape. Meanwhile, the Angels incorporate the halo, the Mariners the compass, the Diamondback the snake. The Block C is just that, a Block C, completely unstyled. The other teams I mentioned have turned their letter into a logo. The Indians haven't. This is why I'm such a big advocate of the Script-I hats, which everyone else seems to hate. They ARE distinctive, and that logo, with it's similarity to a feather, can be used to establish an honest to goodness brand.

Script on a home jersey, block on the road is a very acceptable and common design practice. And the block C works because of the long history of the Indians. They wore it a long time ago, and in this day and age of PC, most find it a nice alternative to Wahoo. They need to ditch the script and go block across the board, though put the current alt block "Indians" on the current home uniform, ditch the red cap and accessories and make a red-brimmed version of the road cap for the home uniform. Besides, as for the I-script cap, if you're going to have a monogram on the cap, it should be of the city. If you're like the A's and White Sox and can fit the name, or shortened version of it, on the cap in 3 letters or less, then fine. Otherwise go with the city initial(s).

The Indians are one of three teams in the Majors who do script at home, block on the road, along with the Padres, that exemplar of uniform fashion, and the Mets. I understand that they wore the block C back in 1936, but even then, the wishbone C was their primary symbol. While a C on the cap has been an Indians hallmark, the Block style was long ago passed over for the wishbone, and later, the "claw-like" C of the 70s.

I highly disagree with putting the block INDIANS wordmark the standard home whites. The script "Indians" is visually appealing and distinctive, of which the too-widely spaced and uninteresting block "Indians" is neither.

Also, do you support the Angels putting LA on their caps, or perhaps the Orioles using a B, or the Twins using their old M cap? I fail to see why the letter on a cap ought to be the initial of the city. Besides, the C from the Script "Cleveland" is distinctive enough to be a logo of its own. Anytime Indians logos are used in a major capacity in the uniform set, I see it as a prospective replacement for Wahoo. The block C, despite its long ago historical precedent, doesn't create a sufficient identity to be a suitable primary logo.

Other than the hat, which is rather bland in my opinion, it's the best road uniform the Tribe has ever worn.

The best would be this one, if they eliminated the double outline on the wordmark.

The current roads are much better. That script looks fine with "Indians", but not "Cleveland". And the block C caps are one of the best in baseball, IMO.

I'm just not a fan of the mismatched style between the script homes/road alts and the block roads/home alts.

My problem with the block C is that it's not distinctive in any way. The teams that use single letters on their caps all do so with some kind of distinguishing mark or style. Detroit and Oakland have blackletter, the Cubs have the circular C, Texas has its funky font, Cincinnati has the wishbone, Philly has its distinctive P shape. Meanwhile, the Angels incorporate the halo, the Mariners the compass, the Diamondback the snake. The Block C is just that, a Block C, completely unstyled. The other teams I mentioned have turned their letter into a logo. The Indians haven't. This is why I'm such a big advocate of the Script-I hats, which everyone else seems to hate. They ARE distinctive, and that logo, with it's similarity to a feather, can be used to establish an honest to goodness brand.

Script on a home jersey, block on the road is a very acceptable and common design practice. And the block C works because of the long history of the Indians. They wore it a long time ago, and in this day and age of PC, most find it a nice alternative to Wahoo. They need to ditch the script and go block across the board, though put the current alt block "Indians" on the current home uniform, ditch the red cap and accessories and make a red-brimmed version of the road cap for the home uniform. Besides, as for the I-script cap, if you're going to have a monogram on the cap, it should be of the city. If you're like the A's and White Sox and can fit the name, or shortened version of it, on the cap in 3 letters or less, then fine. Otherwise go with the city initial(s).

The Indians are one of three teams in the Majors who do script at home, block on the road, along with the Padres, that exemplar of uniform fashion, and the Mets. I understand that they wore the block C back in 1936, but even then, the wishbone C was their primary symbol. While a C on the cap has been an Indians hallmark, the Block style was long ago passed over for the wishbone, and later, the "claw-like" C of the 70s.

I highly disagree with putting the block INDIANS wordmark the standard home whites. The script "Indians" is visually appealing and distinctive, of which the too-widely spaced and uninteresting block "Indians" is neither.

Also, do you support the Angels putting LA on their caps, or perhaps the Orioles using a B, or the Twins using their old M cap? I fail to see why the letter on a cap ought to be the initial of the city. Besides, the C from the Script "Cleveland" is distinctive enough to be a logo of its own. Anytime Indians logos are used in a major capacity in the uniform set, I see it as a prospective replacement for Wahoo. The block C, despite its long ago historical precedent, doesn't create a sufficient identity to be a suitable primary logo.

The Orioles use a mascot, not a letter. The Twins use the TC, a reference to Twin Cities, their location. The Angels are the only team to have properly or at least pleasantly use the nickname letter, though they reintroduced it while they were the "Anaheim Angels". And that C at the start of the Cleveland script would be a terrible cap logo. The block C works nicely for a team with as long of history as the Indians have. If a new team were to use it, it wouldn't work. But it works for them. And there have been more teams in history to use script at home, block on road. There's just not as many right now. Doesn't mean it looks bad.

No unpopularity with me, completely agree. A very fitting identity. I mean, the jerseys look like a beer label - which is exactly what a team called "Brewers" should look like. I've been meaning to buy that cap actually, just haven't gotten around to it. I LOVE the cap logo.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The Orioles use a mascot, not a letter. The Twins use the TC, a reference to Twin Cities, their location. The Angels are the only team to have properly or at least pleasantly use the nickname letter, though they reintroduced it while they were the "Anaheim Angels". And that C at the start of the Cleveland script would be a terrible cap logo. The block C works nicely for a team with as long of history as the Indians have. If a new team were to use it, it wouldn't work. But it works for them. And there have been more teams in history to use script at home, block on road. There's just not as many right now. Doesn't mean it looks bad.

The orioles used an o's up until this year

And with the use of the nickname Leyte on the hat I'm pretty sure the athletics use it pretty well

The orioles used an o's up until this year

And with the use of the nickname Leyte on the hat I'm pretty sure the athletics use it pretty well

Unfortunately the Orioles still use the O's cap. And if you'll read back, I said if the can spell out a nickname in 3 letters or less, it's fine to use. The A's and Sox are good. But that O's cap, though fine by the same standards as the other two, is just a bad cap.

No unpopularity with me, completely agree. A very fitting identity. I mean, the jerseys look like a beer label - which is exactly what a team called "Brewers" should look like. I've been meaning to buy that cap actually, just haven't gotten around to it. I LOVE the cap logo.

That's because it was blatantly inspired by Miller's branding, which is just one of the many flaws in this set.

-The outlined/dropshadowed mess on the script and numbers.

-The name/number font, which is just a mangled Times New Roman

-The fact that the roads don't say "Milwaukee," yet the alts do.

-The way the gold outlines wash into the road greys.

If you had to choose the Brewers best unis, it's between this and this.

That's because it was blatantly inspired by Miller's branding, which is just one of the many flaws in this set.

100% agreed. Though I kinda prefer the Germanic set you linked, a return to the BiGs you posted would still be a welcomed upgrade.

live+Boston+Bruins+vs+Vancouver+Canucks+nhl+finals+2011+stream.jpg

Almost. Wrong logo though.

The orca looks great. Hope these jerseys stick around a long time.

When they went back to green and blue they should've brought the stick-in-rink with them. They're almost perfect.

Disagree, there is something unique about the "VANCOUVER" arched over the orca, and the Orca sure says a lot more about Vancouver than a stick on a rink, which I personally find extremely bland. Although I find the fact there is more green than blue on the away's a little bit disappointing. The striping pattern and collar on the 40th anniversary jersey is superb though.

van40_260.jpg

The Orca is bad for so many reasons. It looks like a copypasted logo. It has no green, which is very prominent on the jerseys, yet adds black and silver, which can be found nowhere else on the uniform. It tries to convey a sense of motion, but the fact that it's trapped in a 'C' completely throws off the equilibrium and makes it look odd. The Haida art style, with it's intricate design and level of detail clashes with the simple striping on the jersey, while the Stick-Rink matches it perfectly.

The 'Vancouver' arch just clutters it up even further, and seems redundant, especially if the Orca is supposed to represent the city. You can find mountain lions in Colorado, so should the Avalanche use a mountain lion as a logo? It's not like Vancouver is Buffalo, where it makes sense for them to have a bison in the logo. It's not like you see Orcas splashing around in False Creek.

The stick-in-rink, while simple, has the makings of a classic logo. Most Canucks fans I know associate it with Vancouver Hockey. The modern version shows it can be updated when needed, in a manner similar to what the Bruins' logo has gone through to remain current while still recognizable. Plus most of the great logos are simple, while the Orca already looks outdated.

The 40th anniversary jerseys are great though.

The Canucks 3rd jersey, and the 40th anniversary retro jersey both outsold the Orca jerseys(the year they both were sold). There is still a lot of resentment toward the orca logo

100% agreed. Though I kinda prefer the Germanic set you linked, a return to the BiGs you posted would still be a welcomed upgrade.

If the Brewers were an expansion team and I was presented with those as choices, I'd choose the Germanics, easily. But given that the how popular the BiG is and how much cache it has behind it, I'm all for a return to the best looking version of their uniforms from that era... although if they ever did go that route in real life, they'd probably go with something based on what they wore in 1982.

The Orca is bad for so many reasons. It looks like a copypasted logo. It has no green, which is very prominent on the jerseys, yet adds black and silver, which can be found nowhere else on the uniform. It tries to convey a sense of motion, but the fact that it's trapped in a 'C' completely throws off the equilibrium and makes it look odd. The Haida art style, with it's intricate design and level of detail clashes with the simple striping on the jersey, while the Stick-Rink matches it perfectly.

The 'Vancouver' arch just clutters it up even further, and seems redundant, especially if the Orca is supposed to represent the city. You can find mountain lions in Colorado, so should the Avalanche use a mountain lion as a logo? It's not like Vancouver is Buffalo, where it makes sense for them to have a bison in the logo. It's not like you see Orcas splashing around in False Creek.

The stick-in-rink, while simple, has the makings of a classic logo. Most Canucks fans I know associate it with Vancouver Hockey. The modern version shows it can be updated when needed, in a manner similar to what the Bruins' logo has gone through to remain current while still recognizable. Plus most of the great logos are simple, while the Orca already looks outdated.

The 40th anniversary jerseys are great though.

The Orca doesn't feature any black, that is navy. I don't understand the whole copypaste arguement either as there are plenty of other teams in history where a colour wasn't featured on both the striping and the logo.

van40_260.jpg

I love the Canucks stick-in-the-rink uniforms with one exception, they should have left the rink white on the home blue uniform set .... For their 70s version the old photos I've seen don't do that version any justice but when they came to the Aud to play the Sabres in the 70s it was a super-looking logo and uniform IMO!!!

As far as the Brewers go, I've always liked their 80s look, the home uniform .... I just don't remember them ever coming up with a good look for away games with that logo, hated the light blue. Nothing they've since come up with beats that logo IMO.

504436992_80f234c2c6.jpg

504436992_80f234c2c6.jpg

:sleeping:

So generic. So boring. I mean, I like classic looks, but that isn't one. It looks like they got some generic lettering done on Cubs blanks or something.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I hate the current Brewers uniforms with a passion (for many of the same reasons you do), but can't support this assertion. If the current wordmark was inspired by Miller, that artist wasn't very familiar with Miller branding. Looks far more like Coors than Miller.

The Germanic Brewer set is by far, the worst looking set they have ever worn, by a mile to me. And it's not because of the lack of success in them, because being 19, I grew up with that set.

And while I love the retro set, the current duds are perfect for the Brewers IMO. Love the colors, love the unis. The only problem I have is no "Milwaukee" on the Greys. Other than that it's perfect. The cap logo rocks too. One little thing I've ways thought would be neat is having the BiG and Barrel Man in current colors on various uniforms as sleeve patches (ie BiG on home and Greys and Barrel Man on Alts)

504436992_80f234c2c6.jpg

:sleeping:

So generic. So boring. I mean, I like classic looks, but that isn't one. It looks like they got some generic lettering done on Cubs blanks or something.

The lettering could easily be tweaked ... but I like the look and believe it to be classic, just as I do the logo, it works for them .... The Yankees away lettering-font has been what you probably view as generic too, yet they've used it for decades on their away uniform and it works for them.

Archived