Teams who are currently wearing their best look

Chawls

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would make that a tremendous set is if they put a matching Nationals script on the front of the home uniform. THAT would easily be the best look in franchise history (including the Expos).

I couldn't agree more.

NationalsPrototypeFront.jpg

What a tremendous opportunity wasted.

I had that exact jersey in mind when I made that post, just couldn't find the picture of it.

That has to be one of the best unused uniforms I've ever seen. It could've been a modern classic, especially when paired with the already existing road uniform. That's a great example of what a script used by a baseball team should look like.

Instead, we get a bland home jersey with bad piping and horrifically placed numbers on the front.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

What would make that a tremendous set is if they put a matching Nationals script on the front of the home uniform. THAT would easily be the best look in franchise history (including the Expos).

I couldn't agree more.

I had that exact jersey in mind when I made that post, just couldn't find the picture of it.

That has to be one of the best unused uniforms I've ever seen. It could've been a modern classic, especially when paired with the already existing road uniform. That's a great example of what a script used by a baseball team should look like.

Instead, we get a bland home jersey with bad piping and horrifically placed numbers on the front.

Now how is this jersey any less bland than their current home? All baseball jerseys are bland to me because they end up using the same templates (plain, pinstripes, striped arms, etc).

Manchester-City-icon.png

I couldn't agree more.

Now how is this jersey any less bland than their current home? All baseball jerseys are bland to me because they end up using the same templates (plain, pinstripes, striped arms, etc).

As a Nats fan, I tend to agree. The prototype is a little bland. I think they've done a great job making te curly W their mark, and going back to the block style would be bad. I do think those first year uniforms were pretty good. If they had stayed with that look, perhaps they'd r in better shape. It's tough because I like both the W and DC marks (and their respective jersey styles), but each has their drawbacks and neither works together. So once they went halfway towards Wness a couple years ago, they had to complete the job.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

I couldn't agree more.

It's not an issue of being more or less bland, it's an issue of a very classy script on a traditional-looking baseball uniform, versus a uniform with bizarre front number placement, awkward piping, and a mediocre chest logo.

That's exactly what baseball uniforms should be though: they shouldn't be flashy or have extraneous piping or designs. Simple piping and good wordmarks (or chest logos) work best. I'd argue that in all sports, when you start throwing flashy templates around, it looks terrible (the Edge jerseys are the epitome of this, as are a lot of Pro Combat jerseys, and the Seahawks). Baseball has largely avoided that, and it's a good thing, because it would NOT fit the sport of baseball one bit.

Often, what some people see as "bland", I see as classy and understated. The best baseball uniforms are that way.

That prototype is no more or less bland than the Red Sox, Dodgers, Tigers, Giants, etc., all of whom have some of the best uniforms in baseball.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Another one I thought of:

20100403_joe-mauer-carl-pavano_33.jpg

Coming from someone who actually likes the 60's throwback a lot, the current homes are the sharpest individual uniform Minnesota has ever worn (especially with the tweaked, sharpened "Twins" script) in my humble opinion. Unfortunately since the road pinstripes have been replaced, I can't say the entire set fares the same, though.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I couldn't agree more.

It's not an issue of being more or less bland, it's an issue of a very classy script on a traditional-looking baseball uniform, versus a uniform with bizarre front number placement, awkward piping, and a mediocre chest logo.

That's exactly what baseball uniforms should be though: they shouldn't be flashy or have extraneous piping or designs. Simple piping and good wordmarks (or chest logos) work best. I'd argue that in all sports, when you start throwing flashy templates around, it looks terrible (the Edge jerseys are the epitome of this, as are a lot of Pro Combat jerseys, and the Seahawks). Baseball has largely avoided that, and it's a good thing, because it would NOT fit the sport of baseball one bit.

Often, what some people see as "bland", I see as classy and understated. The best baseball uniforms are that way.

That prototype is no more or less bland than the Red Sox, Dodgers, Tigers, Giants, etc., all of whom have some of the best uniforms in baseball.

I understand where you're coming from actually. Although baseball uniforms are all generally bland to me, I think it's the only sport that should really be that way. Baseball is so into its tradition that the uniforms, although bland, shouldn't really be flashy. I was really just using that as a means of arguing that the Nats current home set is bland.

Manchester-City-icon.png

Get rid of the pointless shoulder piping and front numbers and you have a passable Islanders set.

Also, beef up the hem stripes, and they'd look alright. Still not anywhere close to the traditional Islanders set though.

That would also make them look like everyone else.

You've gotta be kidding me. You think that Nationals jersey with the wordmark isn't bland? That might be one of the blandest uniforms I have ever seen, for any sport. The only reason you like it is because it isn't used - if it were used, after about 3 games you would be complaining about how bland it is. It's a freaking "Nationals" written in cursive on a jersey - what's so great about this? Don't we see enough of that in baseball?

Also, there's nothing "horrific" (let's not get to carried away here) about the number placement or piping on the current Nats jerseys. The number is supposed to be lower than the W. Look at the ChiSox alts for reference. It looks really bad when the number and wordmark are at the same level.

a mediocre chest logo.

The curly W is the basically symbol of the Nats at this point, and it looks fine. It belongs prominently displayed on a jersey. Its no more mediocre than an interlocking NY.

That's exactly what baseball uniforms should be though: they shouldn't be flashy or have extraneous piping or designs. Simple piping and good wordmarks (or chest logos) work best. Baseball has largely avoided that, and it's a good thing, because it would NOT fit the sport of baseball one bit.

But there needs to be a balance. We can't have everyone looking as bland as the Yankees or as flashy as the Marlins. If everyone looked the same it would be too boring.

What's great about the Nats set is that they are right there in the middle. They could fit into either the flashy or traditional category. I don't know why you are so against piping, but it fits their home jersey well. It gives the jersey a little character. The roads have the cursive script that you seem to be so in love with, I know it says "Washington" and not this apparently amazing "Nationals" script but it nicely incorporates the curly W. The weekend alternates are a little more flashy with the beautiful red shade that even works well with their road caps. Again, the piping and curly W give these uniforms some character.

But that doesn't mean that everyone has to look the same. Again, we can't have everyone looking like the Yankees. We need to have a little originality. The Nats have managed to be somewhat original without being ridiculous.

And those uniforms are still bland. You can't say "well, look at these teams, they are bland, why can't the Nats be?" Those teams can get away with some blandness because they have a rich history. Newer teams that are trying to establish themselves and gain fanbases need to be a little more creative with their looks. I'm glad the Nats are trying to do that.

By the way, I am no Nats fan, but I love their current look. And the fact that they are playing so well is only making their set look even better.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

call me crazy, but i think the yashin/peca era islanders jerseys are the best they've ever looked. navy and all. i'd kill for one with felix potvin's name on it.

Islanders best look.

Islanders19.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Have the Yankees been mentioned yet? Apart from maybe adding an alternate and the lingering logo issues, I wouldn't change a thing about the Yankees' uniforms.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

So...what exactly was the reason that was scrapped?

(And yeag...that'd have been an IMMENSE improvement over their current home top.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived