2012 CFL Season

NEW.ERA

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bump. Boy, for a Canadian-based sports message board, the CFL thread doesn't get nearly as much action as I would think it would.

I'm happy Toronto gets to play in the 100th Grey Cup, and hoping for a repeat of 2004.

Not trying to diss anything about the CFL or it's fans, but how can you get exited over winning a championship in a league that only has 8 teams?

Ask Mockba (supporter/logo designer of the 2011 8-team North American Soccer League champion Minnesota Stars FC) about that. Or ask me in May if the Minnesota Swarm win the 2013 title in the 9-team National Lacrosse League (a very good possibility).

CCSLC signature.png

Not trying to diss anything about the CFL or it's fans, but how can you get exited over winning a championship in a league that only has 8 teams?

Well that attempt failed.

I guess we should just nullify every Stanley Cup Championship from the Original Six era right?

No matter how many teams are in a league, winning the championship is still everyone's number one goal.

An 8 team league like the CFL is no different in that sense when compared to the 32 team NFL.

Now, I want to wish both Toronto and Calgary the best next week in the Grey Cup... I want to root for a team when I watch it next week, but which one? Someone give a good reason as to why I should root for either the Argos or the Stampeders next Sunday. The fan with the best explanation may have a bandwagoner. :P

No matter how many teams are in a league, winning the championship is still everyone's number one goal.

An 8 team league like the CFL is no different in that sense when compared to the 32 team NFL.

Now, I want to wish both Toronto and Calgary the best next week in the Grey Cup... I want to root for a team when I watch it next week, but which one? Someone give a good reason as to why I should root for either the Argos or the Stampeders next Sunday. The fan with the best explanation may have a bandwagoner. :P

Toronto's the oldest continuous franchise in the CFL (older then any NFL team actually) and Toronto has traditionally played a huge part in the history of the Grey Cup (the University of Toronto Varsity Blues won the first Grey Cup), so the Argos winning the 100th Grey Cup in Toronto would be poetic. Plus Toronto just has better uniforms (hey, look at the forum we're all on :D)

As a Ti-Cats fan, however, I'll be pulling for Calgary.

Don't the Argos (cool nickname, BTW) have the most Grey Cups during the (I think this is right, but correct if I'm wrong) 'Modern Era' of Canadian Football?

But, come on. I know you're a Ti-Cat fan (which could be akin to being a Brownie fan, but I would be wrong on that point). Don't you want to see a team in your division win it all?

Don't the Argos (cool nickname, BTW) have the most Grey Cups during the (I think this is right, but correct if I'm wrong) 'Modern Era' of Canadian Football?

I believe they do, yes.

But, come on. I know you're a Ti-Cat fan (which could be akin to being a Brownie fan, but I would be wrong on that point).

Now that you mention it, yeah there are a lot of similarities....

e222714-5.gif

Don't you want to see a team in your division win it all?

Well I do have family from Toronto, and I do love the city. Plus I root for all of the other Toronto teams, and seeing the Argos win it all during the 100th Grey Cup would be cool in a lot of ways. The local rivalry between the Ti-Cats and Argos can get pretty bitter though, so there's that.

I guess I'm pulling for Calgary, but if the Argos won it this year I wouldn't complain :) So I guess ultimately I'm pulling for good football.

Though if the Argos did win it you know the conspiracy theorists would be coming out of the wordwork, claiming that the CFL rigged the 100th Grey Cup for Toronto, and I suppose that possibility is something to root against :D

What the hell happened to BC? Their offense was MIA. Receivers couldn't get any YAC yards and the run game was nonexistent. It didn't look like the same team we've been seeing all season. Calgary looked good but I wouldn't overestimate them because the Lions looked half asleep for much of their game.

At least Montreal put up a decent fight in their game vs. Toronto. The Argos are on fire, though... too hot for anyone to handle right now. As much as I would like to see Kevin Glenn lead a team to Grey Cup glory, I just can't see the Stamps knocking off the Argonaut juggernaut.

Great day for football--if those two games didn't entertain you--then you just don't like football.

Both were close until the end.

Lots of big plays as well.

And fun to watch--

I'm also happy as my team came out on top of a game they were not favored to win.

SO Go Stamps Go and get the Cup.

Bump. Boy, for a Canadian-based sports message board, the CFL thread doesn't get nearly as much action as I would think it would.

I'm happy Toronto gets to play in the 100th Grey Cup, and hoping for a repeat of 2004.

I'm hoping for a repeat of 1971

What the hell happened to BC? Their offense was MIA. Receivers couldn't get any YAC yards and the run game was nonexistent. It didn't look like the same team we've been seeing all season. Calgary looked good but I wouldn't overestimate them because the Lions looked half asleep for much of their game.

At least Montreal put up a decent fight in their game vs. Toronto. The Argos are on fire, though... too hot for anyone to handle right now. As much as I would like to see Kevin Glenn lead a team to Grey Cup glory, I just can't see the Stamps knocking off the Argonaut juggernaut.

Argo juggernaut?

Well they were coming on at the end of the season, but the Stamps were the hottest team to end the season and have kept rolling right through the playoffs--so we have the hottest teams from each division facing off, and it should be a good game.

So I wouldn't discount the Stampeder Juggernaut.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

This will be one of the more even Grey Cup's in recent memory. Argos may be favored heading in, but that means nothing.

Also my favourite storyline all week, Kevin Glenn gets to play in the game, he was supposed to 5 years ago.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

At least the Argos beat the Als. I cant the stand when Montreal is in the Grey Cup, because Chris Berman goes into French speak and its annoying on ESPN.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I believe that Toronto has the most Grey Cup wins overall, with 15, but Edmonton has the most in the modern era.

Hope NBC Sports gets some CFL games live in the future. I found myself glued to the Montreal/Toronto game Sunday night. Much more enjoyable than watching the Steelers/Ravens and the Steelers' prison uniforms. The crowd at the Big O was wild.

I wish I lived in Memphis when the Mad Dogs (or Maniax, Southmen, or Showboats for that matter) were around.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Archived