Abstract Nicknames/ Mascots

nash61

A lot of teams have abstract names, so what should represent them as a mascot?

THE GOOD

Stomper- Oakland A's

A_s_mascot_op_217x326.jpg

From this logo.

jwrg5ev03kpa50eefaaxtm50g.gif

Steely McBeam-Pittsburgh Steelers

mcbeam.jpg

yg3ajf7lt77h2agajh81.gif

THE IN-BETWEEN

Stormy the Ice-Hog-Carolina Hurricanes

stormy-hurricanes.jpg

The reason for a hog mascot is because of the abundance of hog farms in eastern North Carolina.

Carlton the Bear-Toronto Maple Leafs

carlton.jpg

Carlton's name and number (#60) comes from the location of Maple Leaf Gardens, 60 Carlton St. in Toronto, the Leafs home arena from 1931 to 1999

A giant leaf or tree would just look stupid, so the Leafs played off a bit of Canadian stereotype and went with a white(team colour) bear.

THE BAD

Sparky the Dragon-New York Islanders

f47f3e4eb774d8cbf35c6158bad3e795.jpg

He had served as the mascot for the New York Dragons Arena Football team until that league's 2009 demise.

Boltman-San Diego Chargers

Boltman_display_image.jpg?1315038284

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of those, I'd say only the A's is passable, and that's just because of the historical significance.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I suppose Jazz Bear would fit the category:

Utah%20Jazz%20Bear%20at%20Lied%20Club.JPG

A bear certainly fits the region, as the Wasatch Range is home to many of them.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Well, since you can't have a guy in a throne walking around,

Bailey, the mascot of the Los Angeles Kings is a 6 foot lion (6 foot 4 inches with mane included) who wears No. 72 because it is the average temperature in Los Angeles. He was named in honor of the late Garnet ?Ace? Bailey who served as the Los Angeles Kings' Director of Pro Scouting for seven years before dying in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Bailey is the Kings' second mascot, the first was a snow leopard named Kingston in 1994.

Bailey+2012+NHL+Star+Game+NHL+Fan+Fair+hRz7JTaDOYfl.jpg

And in logo form:

baileys_buddies.jpg

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Big Al at Alabama:

history2.jpg

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Bailey, the mascot of the Los Angeles Kings is a 6 foot lion (6 foot 4 inches with mane included) who wears No. 72 because it is the average temperature in Los Angeles. He was named in honor of the late Garnet ?Ace? Bailey who served as the Los Angeles Kings' Director of Pro Scouting for seven years before dying in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Bailey is the Kings' second mascot, the first was a snow leopard named Kingston in 1994.

And in logo form:

baileys_buddies.jpg

I think a lion is a good mascot for the kings... King of the jungle etc. however. Is the best way to honor a sept 11 victim and member of the kings family to name the mascot after him? I know the marlins did it with billy Martin, but idk this somehow seems different.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

New Jersey Nets, sly fox. Foxes have absolutely nothing to do with Nets nor New Jersey.

118.jpg

That fox looks all mangled and rabid. I hope the Nets put him down before they moved to Brooklyn.

6uXNWAo.png

I don't think hockey teams need mascots, but I love the whole idea of the Canadiens bringing in Youppi!.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bailey, the mascot of the Los Angeles Kings is a 6 foot lion (6 foot 4 inches with mane included) who wears No. 72 because it is the average temperature in Los Angeles. He was named in honor of the late Garnet “Ace” Bailey who served as the Los Angeles Kings' Director of Pro Scouting for seven years before dying in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Bailey is the Kings' second mascot, the first was a snow leopard named Kingston in 1994.

And in logo form:

baileys_buddies.jpg

I think a lion is a good mascot for the kings... King of the jungle etc. however. Is the best way to honor a sept 11 victim and member of the kings family to name the mascot after him? I know the marlins did it with billy Martin, but idk this somehow seems different.

I agree. Especially with what he replaced. Kingston the Snow Leopard

LA_Kings_Kingston.jpg

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Can't decide which is better. Colorado Avalanche

OLD- Howler the Yeti

Colorado_Avalanche.jpg

NEW- Bernie the St. Bernard

Bernie+2012+NHL+Star+Game+Mascot+Portraits+j8f3gTpaoFtl.jpg

I think I'll give the nod to Howler, due to this:

66.gif

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I've never cared much for the Diamondbacks mascot, D. Baxter. Get it??? D-BAXter!!!

He's a bobcat, which I guess are native to AZ? But I seem to remember it having to do the former name of Chase Field, which was Bank One Ballpark, or BOB for short. Just lame.

baxter_feature.jpg

Baxter just sort of blends in with everything and doesn't really stand out, as I feel a mascot should.

I guess they figure an actual snake mascot wouldn't go over too well with precious children.

joe-1.jpg

jakesnake.jpg

Actually, here's somebody's concept I just found that looks kinda cool:

dbacksmascot.jpg

Idk what he is, but I love me some Youppi!

youppi.jpg

He became the Canadiens mascot after the Expos left for DC.

billpearch_0_172.jpg

it's really nice to see that unemployed mascots can find work in what has been a very challenging job market over the last several years.

Archived