Abstract Nicknames/ Mascots

nash61

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a high school out in the east in the town of Polka. Their team name? The Dots.

That's right. The Polka Dots.

Google provided no answers, but if anyone lives around the area and can vouch for this post it up.

Saw that helmet unexpectedly one time on MGHelmets. I've looked for it since but now I can't find it again. They had a website for their football team and everything. Supposedly really good in football based on a few state titles. Like I said I can't find anything about the school now. I was guessing it closed or consolidated since. Maybe even changed the name.... but thats my research I found a couple years ago

It's Poca, and here's their helmet.

206584_248824108479892_2514146_n.jpg

and their uniforms

309591_266802926682010_1136573_n.jpg

Mascot

pocadot_I101105181251.jpgPocaDots.jpg

i've got a poca dots t-shirt, given to me by a former dot basketball player - greatest. nickname/mascot. ever.

jldesigns404eo.png

• 2 weeks later...

dinger.jpg

A triceratops doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but theres a story that's behind it. When they excavated the site for Coors Field (formerly a train yard, I believe), they found dinosaur bones in the area, so the mascot became a dinosaur.

Also unveiled in the mid-90s, when Barney the purple dinosaur was still a hit with kids. If the Rockies had to do it over again, they probably would.

And does anyone know what ever became of this freakazoid?

crazyduckmascot.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

and don't forget Stinger, the yellow jacket who wears a Blue Jacket

6541.jpg

Do they still have that thing? I thought they dropped all the bug iconography in the last re-brand.

When I lived in Ohio, I always thought that a bee was a great idea for the Blue Jackets mascot since it was a play on words. Then I saw their jersey with a bee on the shoulder patch and thought, they went way too far! Glad he's still around as a mascot though.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Teams are really lazy with their mascots. I wonder why i have to see this guy every time i go to a Blues game:

Fall+and+Winter+2008-Early+2009+188.JPG

Why a bear? It seems like there are 10 different pictures in this thread of similar, lame bear mascots wearing a jersey. What does a bear have to do with Blues? My uncle tells me the Blues used to have a guy with a trumpet who would come out of different areas of the arena every once in a while and play a bluesy tune. Just some guy. I like the idea of our mascot just being some guy with a trumpet.

Archived