Abstract Nicknames/ Mascots

nash61

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always thought the SF Giants one made sense. Lou Seal, named for the animal that lives in the Pacific off of the SF coast, and the minor league team Seals that played in SF before the Giants.

seal-1.jpg

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

The Stampeders' mascot is Ralph the Dog.

ralphthedog.png

He was the first CFL team mascot.

Originally he was the mascot for a shopping centre, and then was adopted by the team, so that's why he's not a horse or something western.

Although the Stampeders have a long tradition of a touchdown horse (There have been several over the years)

After every Stampeder TD the horse runs between the stands and the visitor's bench. Opposing teams hate the horse.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

And Gumbo the SAINT Bernard:

Saints-mascot-430a081108.jpg

I know "Gumbo" is the right way to spell the food, but I'm suprised the Saints didn't go all out and name him "Gumbeaux".

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

dinger.jpg

A triceratops doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but theres a story that's behind it. When they excavated the site for Coors Field (formerly a train yard, I believe), they found dinosaur bones in the area, so the mascot became a dinosaur.

spacer.png

I've never cared much for the Diamondbacks mascot, D. Baxter. Get it??? D-BAXter!!!

He's a bobcat, which I guess are native to AZ? But I seem to remember it having to do the former name of Chase Field, which was Bank One Ballpark, or BOB for short. Just lame.

baxter_feature.jpg

Baxter just sort of blends in with everything and doesn't really stand out, as I feel a mascot should.

I guess they figure an actual snake mascot wouldn't go over too well with precious children.

Although I kinda agree about the "kid-friendliness" thing, it just feels wrong to me to have a different animal represent a team with an animal name haha.

Anyway despite not being a Mets fan, I've always kinda liked Mr. Met:

mrmet1.jpg

TNSE recycled the Manitoba Moose's mascot, Mick E. Moose:

MickEMooseFull.jpg

It represents the region well, and really, what else would they have done? A pilot? An anthropomorphic, smiling jet? Bobby Hull's toupée?

His face is a bit creepy, but it sure beats whatever the hell the Phoenix Jets' mascot was supposed to be:

Benny.jpg

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Stupid fact: D. Baxter the Bobcat was the idea of Jay Bell's son.

D. Baxter the Bobcat was unveiled to the world on June 23, 2000, at Chase Field. The idea for the mascot came from Brantley Bell, son of former second baseman Jay Bell, who explained to his dad that the team should have a "BOB" cat as a mascot since the team played in the BOB (Bank One Ballpark). Bell informed management about his son's idea and Baxter was born.

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/ari/fan_forum/baxter_index.jsp

I have no idea what he has to do with the Senators, but I love Spartacat (Sparty). He's always in the community too.

sparty-bio-200.jpg

It's keeping with the Roman theme. I think gladiators fought lions sometimes or something. And his name is a play on Spartacus. It's funny that every Canadian NHL team has an abstract name yet almost all of them have mascots. And not a single one has gone stereotypical and used a beaver (although both the Rough Riders and Renegades had a beaver named Roughy as their mascot)

TNSE recycled the Manitoba Moose's mascot, Mick E. Moose:

MickEMooseFull.jpg

It represents the region well, and really, what else would they have done? A pilot? An anthropomorphic, smiling jet? Bobby Hull's toupée?

His face is a bit creepy, but it sure beats whatever the hell the Phoenix Jets' mascot was supposed to be:

Benny.jpg

I do enjoy the homage, but a smiling jet wouldn't have been horrible:

a7vuzivtfsvzh18vzh0qjfdg9.gif

although that said, the iron birds use this as their mascot, which isn't a bad compromise:

3679819451_8f0aec5030_z.jpg

Anubis.png

I have no idea what he has to do with the Senators, but I love Spartacat (Sparty). He's always in the community too.

sparty-bio-200.jpg

It's keeping with the Roman theme. I think gladiators fought lions sometimes or something. And his name is a play on Spartacus. It's funny that every Canadian NHL team has an abstract name yet almost all of them have mascots. And not a single one has gone stereotypical and used a beaver (although both the Rough Riders and Renegades had a beaver named Roughy as their mascot)

The Binghamton Senators have a similar mascot.

390877_321341711216226_993893507_n.jpg

Both of them seem like perfect candidates for a Sparty-type mascot

sparty%20shrug.gif

Just not this guy.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived