nash61

Abstract Nicknames/ Mascots

The Saints have 2 mascots. Sir Saint & Gumbo.

Sir%20Saint%20(2).JPG

Derived from this logo:

sirsaint.jpg

And Gumbo the SAINT Bernard:

Saints-mascot-430a081108.jpg

Can't believe you didn't mention Mojo and Bones, the VooDoo (former?) mascots.

photo-e1330223909701.jpg

Seriously people!? This far and no mention of the Phillie Phanatic!?

Phillies_Phanatic.jpg

Many of these are simply mascots that don't match the team nickname, as opposed to mascots of teams with abstract nicknames.

You could have a "saint" mascot, an astronaut, a king, and even a Phillie (I think... though I've never heard anyone around here referred to as a "phillie".)

Voodoo examples were good.

The Stampeders' mascot is Ralph the Dog.

ralphthedog.png

He was the first CFL team mascot.

Originally he was the mascot for a shopping centre, and then was adopted by the team, so that's why he's not a horse or something western.

Although the Stampeders have a long tradition of a touchdown horse (There have been several over the years)

After every Stampeder TD the horse runs between the stands and the visitor's bench. Opposing teams hate the horse.

When I first glanced at this, I thought it was a dog in a Atlanta Falcons jersey. Oh, the irony.

The Stampeders' mascot is Ralph the Dog.

ralphthedog.png

He was the first CFL team mascot.

Originally he was the mascot for a shopping centre, and then was adopted by the team, so that's why he's not a horse or something western.

Although the Stampeders have a long tradition of a touchdown horse (There have been several over the years)

After every Stampeder TD the horse runs between the stands and the visitor's bench. Opposing teams hate the horse.

When I first glanced at this, I thought it was a dog in a Atlanta Falcons jersey. Oh, the irony.

That would be kind of ironic, wouldn't it.

Does Raymond count?

raymod-mascot2.jpg

He's a... sea dog. And he's blue.

Plus, he's lasted through two different meanings of the term "Rays" without having any connection the the word besides his name.

Does Raymond count?

raymod-mascot2.jpg

He's a... sea dog. And he's blue.

Plus, he's lasted through two different meanings of the term "Rays" without having any connection the the word besides his name.

Somthing like this would have been so much better

5195763733_dffd8b5c60_b.jpg

(South Carolina Stingrays mascot)

The Syracuse Crunch's mascot is downright terrifying:

2010-02-20-mg-crunch1jpg-d1de38894b7666af_large.jpgal_display_image.jpg?13013579132009-08-03-gw-schumer3jpg-e6dea22d3bb76201_large.jpg

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

There is a high school out in the east in the town of Polka. Their team name? The Dots.

That's right. The Polka Dots.

Google provided no answers, but if anyone lives around the area and can vouch for this post it up.

A Titan if ever there was one...

t-rac.jpg

:rolleyes:

As for Gumbo, the cool thing is the first one was a real dog. Here's the original with Al Hirt in 1967:

al-hirtjpg-5f447afb2738533f_large.jpg

Gumbos I-IV served from 1967-85. Always liked the real dog Gumbo though I never really got the St. Bernard connection (other than there's a parish [county to everyone outside La.] with that name near N.O.). Story here.

It's keeping with the Roman theme. I think gladiators fought lions sometimes or something. And his name is a play on Spartacus. It's funny that every Canadian NHL team has an abstract name yet almost all of them have mascots. And not a single one has gone stereotypical and used a beaver (although both the Rough Riders and Renegades had a beaver named Roughy as their mascot)

So it was a beaver all along!

There is a high school out in the east in the town of Polka. Their team name? The Dots.

Google provided no answers, but if anyone lives around the area and can vouch for this post it up.

Saw that helmet unexpectedly one time on MGHelmets. I've looked for it since but now I can't find it again. They had a website for their football team and everything. Supposedly really good in football based on a few state titles. Like I said I can't find anything about the school now. I was guessing it closed or consolidated since. Maybe even changed the name.... but thats my research I found a couple years ago

Saw that helmet unexpectedly one time on MGHelmets. I've looked for it since but now I can't find it again. They had a website for their football team and everything. Supposedly really good in football based on a few state titles. Like I said I can't find anything about the school now. I was guessing it closed or consolidated since. Maybe even changed the name.... but thats my research I found a couple years ago

It's Poca, and here's their helmet.

206584_248824108479892_2514146_n.jpg

and their uniforms

309591_266802926682010_1136573_n.jpg

Mascot

pocadot_I101105181251.jpgPocaDots.jpg

That is the scariest on field mascot I have ever seen! It's a walking feminine hygiene problem!

While visiting relatives recently in Missouri, I ran across a t-shirt in a local Walmart with the logo below and did a double-take.

kfav2ebd.zhb.jpg

So what the heck is a Zizzer?

Well, the school system apparently gets that a lot since they answer it on their homepage...

===

What's a Zizzer?

ZIZZER (ZIZ'ZER) n. 1. an expert in any activity - adj. (colloq) FIRST RATE; 2. a person of the highest caliber, ability or reputation. 3. one who is victorious; (syn) A WINNER! Because to be a ZIZZER means to be the BEST at WHATEVER you do!

===

Must be a local term... :wacko:

The Reds lead the majors (and possibly all of sports) in number of mascots

7351257872_da4de6b226_o.jpg

Mr-Red.jpg

There's Mr. Redlegs, Rosie Red, Gapper (I'm still not sure why they feel the need for that thing), and the long-standing and formerly apart of the logo, Mr. Red.

and don't forget Stinger, the yellow jacket who wears a Blue Jacket

6541.jpg

strike1.jpg

o3Qg3dn5.jpg

The Northwest Arkansas Naturals (AA) have a sasquatch named Strike. I guess him being covered in hair and ungroomed, he is in his natural state.

The New Orleans Zephyrs have Boudreaux and Clotile... because nothing says New Orleans more than a nutria...

boudreaux.jpg