nash61

Abstract Nicknames/ Mascots

The Minnesota Wild introduced this thing named Nordy a few years ago.

nordy.jpg

He's an amalgamation of various wild animals, bear/fox/raccoon/etc. He even sports a hockey mullet.

burnie3.jpg

Two pages in and nobody has mentioned this guy:

San-Diego-Chicken.jpg

Best ever. I'd say he started the whole generation of mascots of this vein.

Miss this guy.

Squatch.jpg

A Titan if ever there was one...

t-rac.jpg

:rolleyes:

FWIW, the raccoon is the state wild animal of Tennessee.

One of the best Mascot videos ever.

mrcelery300.jpg

Mr. Celery - Wilmington Blue Rocks

mrcelery300.jpg

Doesn't celery have to do with Wilmington somehow? I remember reading somewhere about the celery and the reason the Blue Rocks adopted it.

The VooDoo still have Bones and Mojo. Side note. My date to my senior prom was the girl who was Clotile. I could not convince her to wear the nutria costume.

The Sabres don't have an abstract nickname per se, but I think an anthropomorphic sword walking around would be a little weird. I like what they did: a Sabretooth Tiger, available in orange, cherry or lemon.

Buffalo2.JPG

Sabretooth.JPG

GYI0061824481_crop_450x500.jpg?1285564354

Why not just use a bison? Since that's what's on their logo and all...

I hate human mascots, why couldn't they have used a bee?

5569958281_5ff2bae1a9.jpg

Human mascots are usually pretty terrible...this looks like Joffrey from Game of Thrones.

The Sabres don't have an abstract nickname per se, but I think an anthropomorphic sword walking around would be a little weird.

Just a cartoon mascot, but Sammy Sabre

4ca491bfe8cdb_181315b.jpg

The Lake Elsinore Storm of the California League Padres affiliate have one of those abstract nicknames. Rather than base their mascot on the creepy eyes that are their logo or something like a thundercloud they went with a green dog named Thunder for their primary mascot starting in 2001.

Thunderquad.jpg

They also have a Rabbit named Jackpot who pops out of their RF scoreboard when they score

478964383_22536b3a69_b.jpg

And the late inning mascot The Rally Cop who appears in the 9th if they're losing

6200016350_de08381867.jpg

Thunder replaced their previous mascot a Sea Serpent named Hamlet who was the primary when the Storm were an Angels affiliate. I'm guessing he was an allusion to Lake Elsinore having a lake and being a hamlet of sorts.

980427_5318_03.jpg

Why not just use a bison? Since that's what's on their logo and all...

Wikipedia says they got the idea to have a mascot from the local AAA team, the Bisons, who used a Bison as the mascot. The Bills also have a Bison mascot, Billy Buffalo, but I don't know when he showed up. It's good to differentiate yourself.

5826019306_4d5eb386b6_z.jpg

1090.jpg

mrcelery300.jpg

Doesn't celery have to do with Wilmington somehow? I remember reading somewhere about the celery and the reason the Blue Rocks adopted it.

Not that I know of. From what I've read, they found an old celery suit in a closet and decided to have him run out after a run was scored.

What about Dartmouth University's mascot, Keggy the Keg?

l.jpg

Keggy.jpg

Here's reminiscent of the Stanford Tree (not sure if that counts as abstract, since it is in their logo), but just a little bit keggier.

stanford-tree.png?w=429

Pic5.jpg

Rally Cop is wearing Under Armour gloves? Sweet. B) I think everyone needs a rally cop every once in a while. Baseball games, tug of war, church, tailgating.... you get the picture. :lol: