Abstract Nicknames/ Mascots

nash61

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
burnie3.jpg
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• 1 month later...

The Sabres don't have an abstract nickname per se, but I think an anthropomorphic sword walking around would be a little weird. I like what they did: a Sabretooth Tiger, available in orange, cherry or lemon.

Buffalo2.JPG

Sabretooth.JPG

GYI0061824481_crop_450x500.jpg?1285564354

The Lake Elsinore Storm of the California League Padres affiliate have one of those abstract nicknames. Rather than base their mascot on the creepy eyes that are their logo or something like a thundercloud they went with a green dog named Thunder for their primary mascot starting in 2001.

Thunderquad.jpg

They also have a Rabbit named Jackpot who pops out of their RF scoreboard when they score

478964383_22536b3a69_b.jpg

And the late inning mascot The Rally Cop who appears in the 9th if they're losing

6200016350_de08381867.jpg

Thunder replaced their previous mascot a Sea Serpent named Hamlet who was the primary when the Storm were an Angels affiliate. I'm guessing he was an allusion to Lake Elsinore having a lake and being a hamlet of sorts.

980427_5318_03.jpg

Why not just use a bison? Since that's what's on their logo and all...

Wikipedia says they got the idea to have a mascot from the local AAA team, the Bisons, who used a Bison as the mascot. The Bills also have a Bison mascot, Billy Buffalo, but I don't know when he showed up. It's good to differentiate yourself.

5826019306_4d5eb386b6_z.jpg

1090.jpg

mrcelery300.jpg

Mr. Celery - Wilmington Blue Rocks

Doesn't celery have to do with Wilmington somehow? I remember reading somewhere about the celery and the reason the Blue Rocks adopted it.

Not that I know of. From what I've read, they found an old celery suit in a closet and decided to have him run out after a run was scored.

Rally Cop is wearing Under Armour gloves? Sweet. B) I think everyone needs a rally cop every once in a while. Baseball games, tug of war, church, tailgating.... you get the picture. :lol:

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

Archived