Rays new TBTC

Island_Style

It's apparently an era-appropriate St. Petersburg city seal.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warning: Unpopular Opinion

This is a dumb idea and I hope it doesn't ever become a trend/more than a one-time thing. The D-Backs/Nats/Rockies/Marlins should never do this.

I respectfully disagree with you on this, completely. I hope everybody does it. :P I want to see more!!!

This entire thing is silly as all hell, but dammit I actually kind of like it.

Well Chris was right about the the rays in the a-hole and the b-hole. They look like anuses. Anii.

Cannot. Unsee.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

heres the real question... what if they beat the tigers by a ton, and decide that they should start wearing these for a win streak??? I love the hat tho... and will buy one when they are made available

Those duds are SICK!!!

Tampa Bay is the only team able to get away with it (no tradition, quiet fan base, no real national presence but successful enough the past few years to be recognized)...

First the plaid caps, now this... I think I'm in love... ^_^

They should change the ads in the stadium as well, like turning any Macy's signage back to this:

burdines-palm-beach-mall-2004-01.jpg

And bring back cigarette ads.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If you compare it with other uniforms of '79 (White Sox, Pirates, Blue Jays, Mariners, Astros), it fits in PERFECTLY.

My problem is that, down to the curved front panel on the hat, it's a straight rip of the '79 Padres. If the alternate history we're working with here is that the Rays were a minor league affiliate of San Diego in 1979, then I'm fine with it. If not, then this is cool-looking, but lazy.

Exactly. I don't mind a "what if we were a Major League team in the 70s?" one-off fauxback night, but the design they went with is just uninspired.

Crazy concept but it's something different and interesting too. And for some reason, I actually like these more than their current set.

Me too... but I know the reason. The Rays' current look is straight up, new millennium, boring-ass MLB baseball uniform. For the past 10 years or more, major league baseball uniform design has been on a fast train to dull. Go with as plain a design as possible in terms of stripes / fabric, let a computer alter an existing font into a ?unique? yet somehow very standard word mark and numbers, add some ugly 3D beveling, reverse the colors on the white jersey for a black or navy ?alternative? jersey (that you will wear 75% of the time) and ? presto! Instant snooze inducing MLB uniform! And if you choose navy, as the Rays did, as your primary color, it?s not only boring, its indistinguishable from at least a dozen other teams (San Diego, anyone?).

OK, we all remember the 70?s designs as being over the top? no doubt the pendulum swung pretty far, but my God? is it too much to ask for a little innovation in terms of colors and color placement? Orange, Athletic Gold, Kelly Green, Bright Blue, Purple? BROWN? I want to see these colors used as primary colors? for hats, word marks, etc. IMO, the current state of MLB uniform design is abysmal.

I'm actually quite surprised, but entirely pleased to see you say that. And I concur with every single word of it.

Almost kinda makes one pine for the '90s again. Almost. (If nothing else, at least we got some unique colors out of that era.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Sweet. I've always loved that pullover-era look for the Tigers.

The Rays TBTC look? Not so much. But hey, they'll wind up making us look really good. Can't complain.

Me too! I'm so glad the Tigers decided to play along. It should be a fun game. The idea is pretty cool.

Baseball unis in general are pretty boring so I like this a lot. I really wish the designers would try to be at least a little more imaginative when it comes to designs. They don't have to be over the top like the 70's/80's, but throwing a little imagination in wouldn't hurt.

Crazy concept but it's something different and interesting too. And for some reason, I actually like these more than their current set.

Me too... but I know the reason. The Rays' current look is straight up, new millennium, boring-ass MLB baseball uniform. For the past 10 years or more, major league baseball uniform design has been on a fast train to dull. Go with as plain a design as possible in terms of stripes / fabric, let a computer alter an existing font into a “unique” yet somehow very standard word mark and numbers, add some ugly 3D beveling, reverse the colors on the white jersey for a black or navy “alternative” jersey (that you will wear 75% of the time) and … presto! Instant snooze inducing MLB uniform! And if you choose navy, as the Rays did, as your primary color, it’s not only boring, its indistinguishable from at least a dozen other teams (San Diego, anyone?).

OK, we all remember the 70’s designs as being over the top… no doubt the pendulum swung pretty far, but my God… is it too much to ask for a little innovation in terms of colors and color placement? Orange, Athletic Gold, Kelly Green, Bright Blue, Purple… BROWN… I want to see these colors used as primary colors… for hats, word marks, etc. IMO, the current state of MLB uniform design is abysmal.

It may not be funny, but it is spot-on. Nominating for POTD.

I think the Orioles turning back toward orange, along with the A's bringing out that spectacular yellow alt, are both positive steps towrd broadening the league's rainbow. But then San Diego does what they did, and Colorado seems to make their purple even more indistinguishable from black, and it feels like a couple steps back. I know this one's a few degrees beyond tolerable for many, but I legitimately feel the Diamondbacks had it close to perfect with this one:

22439a_lg.jpeg

Unique, appropriate color scheme. Clever, but not overbearing details, like the zig-zag of the sleeve cuffs, and the subtle "fangs" of the wordmark. And eventually, it got put aside for black, and more black, and then a yawning copycat of an overhaul that hit all the generic notes, right down to using Agency for no reason. Even when Houston changes up next year, those D-Backs uniforms will still feel like the Astros' sloppy seconds.

Me too... but I know the reason. The Rays' current look is straight up, new millennium, boring-ass MLB baseball uniform. For the past 10 years or more, major league baseball uniform design has been on a fast train to dull. Go with as plain a design as possible in terms of stripes / fabric, let a computer alter an existing font into a ?unique? yet somehow very standard word mark and numbers, add some ugly 3D beveling, reverse the colors on the white jersey for a black or navy ?alternative? jersey (that you will wear 75% of the time) and ? presto! Instant snooze inducing MLB uniform! And if you choose navy, as the Rays did, as your primary color, it?s not only boring, its indistinguishable from at least a dozen other teams (San Diego, anyone?).

OK, we all remember the 70?s designs as being over the top? no doubt the pendulum swung pretty far, but my God? is it too much to ask for a little innovation in terms of colors and color placement? Orange, Athletic Gold, Kelly Green, Bright Blue, Purple? BROWN? I want to see these colors used as primary colors? for hats, word marks, etc. IMO, the current state of MLB uniform design is abysmal.

It may not be funny, but it is spot-on. Nominating for POTD.

I second that, truest thing I have read on these boards in the time I have been here

Archived