Rays new TBTC

Island_Style

Crazy concept but it's something different and interesting too. And for some reason, I actually like these more than their current set.

Me too... but I know the reason. The Rays' current look is straight up, new millennium, boring-ass MLB baseball uniform. For the past 10 years or more, major league baseball uniform design has been on a fast train to dull. Go with as plain a design as possible in terms of stripes / fabric, let a computer alter an existing font into a ?unique? yet somehow very standard word mark and numbers, add some ugly 3D beveling, reverse the colors on the white jersey for a black or navy ?alternative? jersey (that you will wear 75% of the time) and ? presto! Instant snooze inducing MLB uniform! And if you choose navy, as the Rays did, as your primary color, it?s not only boring, its indistinguishable from at least a dozen other teams (San Diego, anyone?).

OK, we all remember the 70?s designs as being over the top? no doubt the pendulum swung pretty far, but my God? is it too much to ask for a little innovation in terms of colors and color placement? Orange, Athletic Gold, Kelly Green, Bright Blue, Purple? BROWN? I want to see these colors used as primary colors? for hats, word marks, etc. IMO, the current state of MLB uniform design is abysmal.

It may not be funny, but it is spot-on. Nominating for POTD.

I think the Orioles turning back toward orange, along with the A's bringing out that spectacular yellow alt, are both positive steps towrd broadening the league's rainbow. But then San Diego does what they did, and Colorado seems to make their purple even more indistinguishable from black, and it feels like a couple steps back. I know this one's a few degrees beyond tolerable for many, but I legitimately feel the Diamondbacks had it close to perfect with this one:

22439a_lg.jpeg

Unique, appropriate color scheme. Clever, but not overbearing details, like the zig-zag of the sleeve cuffs, and the subtle "fangs" of the wordmark. And eventually, it got put aside for black, and more black, and then a yawning copycat of an overhaul that hit all the generic notes, right down to using Agency for no reason. Even when Houston changes up next year, those D-Backs uniforms will still feel like the Astros' sloppy seconds.

I never understood the need for them seemingly year after year moving away from this look. I liked the black jersey they introduced I want to say back in 1999, but they shouldn't have moved the color scheme any further than purple being its main color.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My biggest complaint is that they should've used the same font used for the cap logo for the wordmark. If they did that, plus tone down the unis a bit, they'd have something that would put their current look to shame.

Maybe that's why they didn't go all the way with the fauxback design... to be sure it's not better than the current look... B)

I think the Orioles turning back toward orange, along with the A's bringing out that spectacular yellow alt, are both positive steps towrd broadening the league's rainbow. But then San Diego does what they did, and Colorado seems to make their purple even more indistinguishable from black, and it feels like a couple steps back. I know this one's a few degrees beyond tolerable for many, but I legitimately feel the Diamondbacks had it close to perfect with this one:

22439a_lg.jpeg

Unique, appropriate color scheme. Clever, but not overbearing details, like the zig-zag of the sleeve cuffs, and the subtle "fangs" of the wordmark. And eventually, it got put aside for black, and more black, and then a yawning copycat of an overhaul that hit all the generic notes, right down to using Agency for no reason. Even when Houston changes up next year, those D-Backs uniforms will still feel like the Astros' sloppy seconds.

I agree on those Diamondbacks jerseys. The 1998 set was really out-there, but in a good way. I loved the road caps. Take the pinstripes off the road set and it would have been great. The '99 change to gold numbers helped the purple jersey, though. The first look was good, but they just kept dulling it down, chipping away, adding black and almost completely removing teal from the color scheme. The original colors were inspired. The 2001-2006 colors sucked and so did the uniforms.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Crazy concept but it's something different and interesting too. And for some reason, I actually like these more than their current set.

Me too... but I know the reason. The Rays' current look is straight up, new millennium, boring-ass MLB baseball uniform. For the past 10 years or more, major league baseball uniform design has been on a fast train to dull. Go with as plain a design as possible in terms of stripes / fabric, let a computer alter an existing font into a ?unique? yet somehow very standard word mark and numbers, add some ugly 3D beveling, reverse the colors on the white jersey for a black or navy ?alternative? jersey (that you will wear 75% of the time) and ? presto! Instant snooze inducing MLB uniform! And if you choose navy, as the Rays did, as your primary color, it?s not only boring, its indistinguishable from at least a dozen other teams (San Diego, anyone?).

OK, we all remember the 70?s designs as being over the top? no doubt the pendulum swung pretty far, but my God? is it too much to ask for a little innovation in terms of colors and color placement? Orange, Athletic Gold, Kelly Green, Bright Blue, Purple? BROWN? I want to see these colors used as primary colors? for hats, word marks, etc. IMO, the current state of MLB uniform design is abysmal.

postofday.png

There ya go.

Great post. I agree about everything except Brown. That is one color that should stay in the past. The others... Bring it on.

In addition to the Orioles' return to orange as their primary color, I also think the Athletics' departure from the hideous black jerseys and use of the yellow alternate is huge as far as moving away from the monotony of black and navy goes.

As for these fauxbacks I think they would look much better with a single thin stripe on the sleeves and pants. Still a decent look aside from the obvious Padres influence.

If they absolutely must make a fauxback then I have to say that they nailed it; particuarly the hat. However, I really hope this does not lead to more of this. Not only could I see the D-Backs, Nats, Rockies, Marlins, etc. trying this, but even teams that were around in the 1970s and never had crazy uniforms, like the Royals, Brewers, Twins, etc. And of course, they can always try it with other decades...1930s uniforms for the Astros! Deadball uniforms for the Padres!

And why did they do this? Probably to see how many copies of that hat they can sell. I'd wager they'll sell a decent number and that alone could lead to overkill.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

If they absolutely must make a fauxback then I have to say that they nailed it; particuarly the hat. However, I really hope this does not lead to more of this. Not only could I see the D-Backs, Nats, Rockies, Marlins, etc. trying this, but even teams that were around in the 1970s and never had crazy uniforms, like the Royals, Brewers, Twins, etc. And of course, they can always try it with other decades...1930s uniforms for the Astros! Deadball uniforms for the Padres!

And why did they do this? Probably to see how many copies of that hat they can sell. I'd wager they'll sell a decent number and that alone could lead to overkill.

Personally, I would be interested to see a Marlins 70s or 80s faux-back. Given how similar most of the dead-ball era jerseys looked, you can't really expect to see teams faux-backing that era. Besides... teams that have the majority of their fans unable to remeber when their teams didn't exist, teams like the Padres, Mets, Astros would have enough tradition to not want to "fake it."

Jeff Loria would stroke out and die at the mere thought of outfitting his team in a primarily-teal uniform. Which is exactly why I want it to happen.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Marlins don't need a fauxback... they could easily just throw back to the minor-league Miami Marlins, which they've done before.

Marlins-Mets_2B1.png

285388ba-7e9c-49e2-810c-bf0c053127ab.jpg

31%2BDSBG61CL._SX385_.jpg

mia56r.jpg

If that Miami Marlins identity wasn't so close to the Mets identity, it would've been the perfect thing for the Marlis to adopt permanently this year.

Hell, it still would've been better than what they have now, even though there would've been two New York Mets in the NL East.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

The Marlins don't need a fauxback... they could easily just throw back to the minor-league Miami Marlins, which they've done before.

Marlins-Mets_2B1.png

285388ba-7e9c-49e2-810c-bf0c053127ab.jpg

31%2BDSBG61CL._SX385_.jpg

mia56r.jpg

If that Miami Marlins identity wasn't so close to the Mets identity, it would've been the perfect thing for the Marlis to adopt permanently this year.

Hell, it still would've been better than what they have now, even though there would've been two New York Mets in the NL East.

Replace the blue with the blue that the Marlins are currently using on their logo, and those FSL/IL jerseys wouldn't be too bad or too similar to the Mets.

If anything the Marlins should throwback to these.

!BsJj3lgCWk~$(KGrHqUH-C8EvEy12gnWBL2)C-glRg~~_3.JPG

The Miami Marlins throwbacks are unnecessarily similar to the Mets's unis when they could just go teal.

...and then never throw forward again!!!

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

The Miami Marlins throwbacks are unnecessarily similar to the Mets's unis when they could just go teal.

Make those sirups teal and we're talking.

Still waiting for the Rays to make this a permanent look....:

tampa-bay-rays-plaid.jpg

EDIT: Accidentally a word

Anubis.png

Make those sirups teal and we're talking.

Still waiting for the Rays to make this a permanent look....:

tampa-bay-rays-plaid.jpg

EDIT: Accidentally a word

Hey it's unique and identifiable as them I would be behinh them making that their home cap. I personally think they are awesome

Archived