Unique equipment

Ark

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know for sire that MLB has a rule that designs can't be too radical (i.e. They don't want Darth Vader Gerber behind the plate).

gerber_40243.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• 9 months later...

Sometime in the 1990's the Norwood team in the South Australian National Football League (Australian rules football) experimented with a jumper/guernsey that zipped up at the front:

Norwoodzipper_zps2491922f.jpg

The idea was quickly discarded and no other team has tried it.

Calvin Murphy's cut-away hockey helmet (I'd love to know the story behind this):

5186817051_5d4ee2ecb9.jpg

pg2_g_murphy_400.jpg

Per google, Murphy suffered a concussion from an elbow to the head. He missed 3 games and returned wearing that reconstructed helmet which apparently didn't deter his game at all.

And why blue?

I had to check the date of the article - 1980. At first I thought he wound up with a blue helmet because they just snagged one from the old Houston Aeros since they wore blue, but the Aeros were long gone by 1980. Maybe there was still one hanging around the equipment room at the arena fromt the Aeros so they used it anyway?

This is entirely possible... The San Jose Sharks left the Cow Palace in 1993 and when the ECHL San Francisco Bulls started prepping the Cow Palace last summer they found Sharks equipment.

• 1 month later...

Calvin Murphy's cut-away hockey helmet (I'd love to know the story behind this):

5186817051_5d4ee2ecb9.jpg

pg2_g_murphy_400.jpg

Per google, Murphy suffered a concussion from an elbow to the head. He missed 3 games and returned wearing that reconstructed helmet which apparently didn't deter his game at all.

And why blue?

I had to check the date of the article - 1980. At first I thought he wound up with a blue helmet because they just snagged one from the old Houston Aeros since they wore blue, but the Aeros were long gone by 1980. Maybe there was still one hanging around the equipment room at the arena fromt the Aeros so they used it anyway?

This is entirely possible... The San Jose Sharks left the Cow Palace in 1993 and when the ECHL San Francisco Bulls started prepping the Cow Palace last summer they found Sharks equipment.

The Houston Apollos wore blue and white uniforms, almost exactly like the WHA Aeros, playing in the Central League for the 79-80 season and part of 80-81. That's most likely where it came from, especially if they had already folded and there was a bunch of equipment left behind.

Dale Sr.'s open face helmets and goggles...

Dale-Earnhardt-Sr_91.jpg

That really wasn't unique for his time, most nascar drivers had open face helmets, it was just after his death they made the full face helmets mandatory.

Yes, but as I got into NASCAR, I think only he and Harry Gant (and actually Gant made the switch to a full face before Sr. died I believe) were still rocking them. And at the time of his death, he was pretty much the only guy in the big league doing it. When I think of Sr., I think of him after the race with his raccoon face and smile.

fP8H4Wf.jpg

Archived