Unique equipment

Ark

Dan Cloutier in a normal mask.

dan-cloutier-kings-stretching.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hunter Pence hits with only one batting glove

050713-pence-hunter-600.jpg

What's unique about that? A lot of baseball players only wear a glove on their bottom hand.

No. He's the only current major leaguer that does it

It was very common back in the early days of batting gloves, but now everyone either wears both or no batting gloves. I for one wear only one batting glove and it's on my left(bottom) hand.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I could be mistaken, but i believe David Eckstein used to wear football gloves

david-eckstein-looks-back-400a-103006.jp

and there was a point where Manny Ramirez wore Nike Vapor football cleats

bjbjbj.jpg

and i havent read through the thread so forgive me if these have been mentioned.

Bauer has been working on a project named "OD1N" which features some weird blade holders.

Bauer-OD1N-SKATE.jpg

For the player who wants to make it easier to be tripped by an errant stick blade through his skates?

He'll fall to the ice 2% faster when he does get tripped.

Dale Sr.'s open face helmets and goggles...

Dale-Earnhardt-Sr_91.jpg

That really wasn't unique for his time, most nascar drivers had open face helmets, it was just after his death they made the full face helmets mandatory.

Yes, but as I got into NASCAR, I think only he and Harry Gant (and actually Gant made the switch to a full face before Sr. died I believe) were still rocking them. And at the time of his death, he was pretty much the only guy in the big league doing it. When I think of Sr., I think of him after the race with his raccoon face and smile.

Dale Jr. was also wearing the open face helmet and bubble glasses at the time of his fathers death.

bjbjbj.jpg

and i havent read through the thread so forgive me if these have been mentioned.

i use to do the same thing, because football gloves had more grip, and i didn't want to get another pair of cleats of baseball, and I didn't think there was much difference from football cleats.

bjbjbj.jpg

i use to do the same thing, because football gloves had more grip, and i didn't want to get another pair of cleats of baseball, and I didn't think there was much difference from football cleats.

But Manny could get about 1,000 or so pairs of Baseball cleats.

bjbjbj.jpg

and he has worn about 1000 pairs of cleats through out his career, we don't know why he wore them, but it's not something totally unusual

bjbjbj.jpg

Well I know those particular clears are molded and low top so they are substantially lighter than metal baseball cleats. I know molded baseball cleats have gotten more popular lately though.

I wore the vapor jets in hs for football and they were very comfortable. I could see why baseball players would wear them. I find metal cleats kinda uncomfortable actually.

Yankees prospect Pat Venditte throws both left and right, so he uses a special glove:

glove.JPG

Sorry to make two consecutive responses to the same thread. But I wanted to point out that Greg Harris used a glove like that in a game once.

271113d1354033844-gambo-t_wil1-photopack

John Olerud and his helmet definitely belong on this list.

olerud-helmet.jpg

Dick Allen and George Scott often wore helmets in the field:

dick-allen.jpg

scott-george-c-a-fielding.jpg

But Olerud is the only one to do it for medical reasons: he'd once had an aneurism in his brain, and wanted the extra bit of protection.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived