Unique equipment

Ark

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bauer has been working on a project named "OD1N" which features some weird blade holders.

Bauer-OD1N-SKATE.jpg

For the player who wants to make it easier to be tripped by an errant stick blade through his skates"

"OD1N," Bauer's half-assed way of trying to say "OITGDNHL."

Drink coasters for thigh pads:

temp131229-packers-bears-2nd-half-021--n

are they actually drink coasters, or just really small pads other people also wear because they don't want to wear them. also what is going on with his collar? looks like he is trying to make his own version on the nike collar

Yes, they are actual drink coasters.

Bauer has been working on a project named "OD1N" which features some weird blade holders.

Bauer-OD1N-SKATE.jpg

It's a working prototype only being skated on by about half a dozen select NHL'ers.

My first thought as a skate sharpener was:

"These are going to be a real b**** to sharpen".

Also, from what I can tell there is no way to replace the runners, these appear to be a one-piece chassis/runner riveted to the boot.

And only months removed from the unveiling of the Lightspeed Edge:

1041847.jpg

..it's always one step forward and two steps back, I suppose.

5amlwx.jpg

Marcus Mariota's facemask...it's the standard 2-bar Revo Speed but with an extra horizontal bar that doesn't go through the middle portion. Haven't seen this on anyone else. I wonder if this is for extra protection or because it looks different.

hi-res-7744188_crop_exact.jpg?w=1500&h=1

Prototype Joe Namath radio helmet DR1010c.jpg

Great find - I have never seen that. Do you know the story behind it?

Scott Player's face throatmask

scott-player-single-bar-facemask-2.png

I despise those "facemasks" - not the single bar (which was cool on the likes of Meredith and Theismann) but wearing it like that. Never want to see anyone hurt but if a guy wearing that got a forearm in the face, oh well.

Here's my contribution, one I remember well. It's one thing to wear goggles in football, but the late Chuck Muncie wore standard prescription glasses. They were usually clear but he had the shades on in this pic:

football_sunglasses_post_medium.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Marcus Mariota's facemask...it's the standard 2-bar Revo Speed but with an extra horizontal bar that doesn't go through the middle portion. Haven't seen this on anyone else. I wonder if this is for extra protection or because it looks different.

hi-res-7744188_crop_exact.jpg?w=1500&h=1

It's a custom mask by riddell. Specifily for Oregon but they said they might realese to the public some time.

Letsgoblue.png

holland_hs_sig.pngHollandMichiganPNG_zps9365937b.png

From the old days...

Willie Lanier's helmet...

lanier_display_image.jpg?1309151220

Not really unique, except maybie n the NFL. Several Colleges (Including Ohio State, Duke, and BYU used this style of helmet.

Back in the 60s MacGregor helmets had that external pad as an option, and several colleges used them. They were discontinued because they found that they caused more head injuries than they prevented. Willie Lanier and either Gene Upshaw or Art Shell (I think it was Shell) continued to have these pads added to their helmets throughout their careers.

Prototype Joe Namath radio helmet DR1010c.jpg

Great find - I have never seen that. Do you know the story behind it?

That one has been on Helmet Hut - Namath had laryngitis so this was an attempt to amplify his voice so he could practice and play. By game day he had recovered enough that it was never used in a game, only in practices so he could rest his voice a bit.

• 2 years later...

Bumping this with a gem from Michael Nylander

4984-186Fr.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 12/30/2013 at 5:32 PM, Canadian_Idiot said:

Keeping on-topic,

(ever since the switch to Edge uniforms) Ray Whitney's missing NHL shields:
zna6wn.jpg

Anyone know the story behind this? Is he boycotting the NHL somehow? I know Ray is a pretty smart guy, and I believe he was involved in the NHLPA?

I know that I've posted a few of these in the "football helmet" thread, but a few are definitely "unique". Some would even say weird.

Like Ricky Jackson's custom facemask he wore after some broken bones in his face.

Jackson_Rickey_Helmet_630.jpg

11 hours ago, M4One said:

Whitney took the logo off the collar strictly because it was a comfort issue.  He didn't like the way it was hitting his neck.  Some guy way back in 2010 from uni-watch (near the bottom of the post) emailed the Stars PR department and got the answer.

Someone on the Canucks a few years ago had the equipment staff cut the tips off the logo because it was hitting his neck or causing discomfort. I really want to say Salo.

Archived