Solar League Baseball

RoughRiders99

A Historical Rundown of the Solar League Baseball

In 2090, a small team of astronauts and scientists from Earth brought their baseball equipment to challenge a small group of athletes from the Moon colony in a small, friendly pick up game of baseball. The game became a popular tradition that the citizens of the Moon and Earth would pay to go and watch the unofficial pick up games.

In 2102, both Earth and the Moon invited the team from Mars to participate in their weekend, round-robin Moonfest Baseball during the Moon?s yearly festival during the weekend of July 21st. The teams wore simple NASA-issued colored t-shirts and pants/shorts of the players? choosing. The concept is somewhat similar to a ?beer league? uniform.

1_MoonFest.png

The tournament became so popular that it continued for four years before the United Nations of Space (UNS) decided to make it more official by hiring professional umpires and placing the renamed Space Baseball Tournament in the newly constructed stadium, the Lunar Dome. Seven years later in 2113, the team from Venus joined the tournament, making it a weeklong event. The four teams competed in a double-round robin format, with the top two teams facing each other in the Championship. Again, the teams wore their team-issued t-shirts from NASA.

2_SpaceBaseabll.png

In 2130, Mercury has just joined the Space Program, officially kicking off the newly formed Terrain League Baseball, a league with five teams: Earth Voyagers, Luna Apollos, Mars Legion, Venus Storm and Mercury Wings. This is the first year where each team had their identity, uniform set, professional athletes and home stadiums. In the previous years, the players just wore simple cheap team t-shirts/jerseys and whatever pants/shorts of their choosing.

In the inaugural season, the Voyagers had the best record with 26-6, but the Luna Apollos upset the Voyagers in a best 3-of-5 series inside the LunarDome to win the inaugural Space Baseball Trophy.

By 2140, with new development, space travel has been easier and quicker than before, which allowed Jupiter and its four main moons to start their own baseball league, the Jupiter League of Baseball. Just like the SLB,

JLB also has five teams: Jupiter Kings, Io Volcanoes, Europa Avalanche, Ganymede Giants and the Callisto Bears. Both leagues also expanded their season to 48 games.

In 2145, after the JLB has proven itself to be a worthy competition to the SLB, UNS decided to combine both leagues to be under one name, the Solar League of Baseball. There was an All-Star Game between the two leagues and an Universal Series, Major League?s equivalent to the World Series.

Twenty years later in 2165, after SLB?s sustained success and the UNS?s expansion to the outer planets and moons, the league nearly doubled its size to 18 teams with 4 divisions: Terrain, Jupiter, Rings and Outer. The league also expanded to 68-game season, along with an 4-team playoff system.

In 2170, the league added two teams to the league, placing the Titania Spirits in the Rings Division, along with the youngest team, Planet X, in the Outer Division. The Planet X team is located on Eris, a dwarf planet beyond Pluto.

Timeline:

2090 ? 2101: Annual Earth vs. Moon pick-up games.

2102 ? 2105: Annual Earth-Moon-Mars weekend tournaments at the LunarFest.

2106 ? 2113: Tournaments becomes professional, hosted by the moon inside the LunarDome.

2114: Team Venus joins the tournament.

2130: Formation of Terrain League Baseball with the addition of Mercury.

2140: Jupiter League Baseball begins with five teams.

2145: TLB and JLB combines to become Solar League Baseball, SLB, with headquarters based on the moon.

2165: Expanded league to 18 teams with teams in the Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto regions.

2170: Titania Sprits and Planet X joins the league.

Current League Structure:

20 teams

4 Divisions of 5 teams each

Terrain Division: Earth Voyagers, Luna Apollos, Mars Legion, Mercury Wings, Venus Storm

Jupiter Division: Callisto Bears, Europa Avalanche, Ganymede Giants, Io Volcanoes, Jupiter Kings

Rings Division: Rhea Lions, Titan Lakers, Titania Spirits, Saturn Angels, Uranus Blues

Outer Division: Charon Guardians, Neptune Mariners, Triton Retros, Planet X, Pluto Demons

Regular Season

Regular season is 21 weeks long, with the post season being 2 weeks long.

12 games versus the divisional members (6 home, 6 away) = 48 games

4 games versus 5 teams from another division (divisions rotate on yearly basis. 2 home, 2 away. All 4 games will be at one location. Teams will alternate home/away basis. For example, Earth will be the ?home team? playing against Jupiter AT Jupiter for two games. This is to reduce travel time/costs) = 20 games

Total 68 games.

Postseason Structure

Division Tournament

- 5-team double elimination. Regular Season Division Winner get host the tournament and get full home field advantage. Winner advances to the Universal Series.

Universal Series (at the LunarDome)

- Format TBA

Author's Note

Most of the concepts that will be posted early in this thread will be pretty much similar to the concepts that I posted in the previous thread, but a few teams will have a some modifications, but nothing major that I know of.

And also, as I post the concepts, I will be running a season simulation of the league to see who will be crowned the champions of the Universal Series. How I will running the simulation will be explained in a later post

I would like to send out a thank you to one of my best friends, who is not a member of CCSLC but knows about this project, for helping me on this project. Also, special kudos goes out to fellow CCSLCer to OfficialBailey for his contributions to the projects.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the previous thread, several posters and my friend have said that the Venus Storm's logos/uniforms wasn't the best and they looked like a cheap wal-mart sporting merchandise that you could buy for 20 dollars. I decided that the Venus Storm needed an overhaul. I tried to keep the same identify as close as I can, because I believe I had the right idea, I just didn't execute it.

_LogoSheet_v2.png

1_Home_v2.png

2_Road_v2.png

3_Alt_v2.png

Wow, everything looks great as usual. Mars is definitely my favorite. My one problem is with the Venus set, because I feel like the home jersey says "our color is orange" and the road set says "our color is blue.". I think you should choose one and have both jerseys with the same main color. Other than that, fantastic job.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

For the moon I have a question on their main logo.. If I was from the moon I would have a problem in having my "rivial" 's logo in my own logo (being Earth) Though I do understand why it's there, since they are really close to each other.

Did you recycle Cologne's Centurions for Mars?

Yes I did. I mentioned this in the previous thread, but I should've mentioned it in this thread also.

This was what I posted in the previous thread immediately before I posted the Mars Legion concept: I just want to give you a word of warning before I post it (so I don't upset anybody or anything), but I "borrowed" a logo from a college team for the Mars Legion. I've been away from the program of Illustrator for a while so I'm using this project as a way to hone and bring back my skills [and to practice my pen tool ability]. Just wanted to let you know before I post it.

Basically, what I did was I "copied" the logo into Illustrator and then traced it around, and made a few slight modifications (probably not noticeable to you guys). Hope you guys don't get upset over this.

Archived