NCFAF Branding - Wheeling Coal Miners

-(dp)-

I haven't posted in the concepts section in quite some time, and I just did these for a fellow NCFA-F member, so I figured I might as well get some comments and criticism from the rest of you guys. It is late, and everything is pretty self explanatory, so I will just get right to it.

WheelingPresentation.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

I think the issue could be in the miner's left arm angle. It looks as if he is just holding the pickaxe, rather than swinging (or planning to). I think if you bring the elbow in a little bit, and move the hand "back" so that the front is more forward, it might make all the difference. But seriously, nice work on this whole set so far!

Okay,some updates....

I worked with the hands and arms a bit, hopefully making them look more like he is swinging, rather than just holding, the pickaxe. Another thing that was making it not look right was the perspective on the chest area and the perspective on the arms were not even, hopefully I fixed that. Old on the left, new on the right.

WheelingLogos2.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

This is a really nice improvement. The hands are spot-on now. The chest is much improved as well. The face still seems a bit off. Is that his lip or does he have a mustache? If it's a mustache, then it's fine. What I would like to see from this logo is a thickening of the linework to make it more a sports logo and less of an illustration. The problem with that is, if you thicken the outlines, it'll throw off the new hands holding the handle.

Great job so far.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I like the idea, I like the concept and I like the fact that it looks like you've done some real research. But with that said I think you may have been too true to your research. The illustration is well rendered you clearly have a very solid grasp of your chosen software and you've got an eye for what to keep and what to leave out with regards simplification when it comes to the drawing side of things, but that's my issue with this logo. It just feels like an illustration of a coal miner. It's to static, I just dont feel any energy or movement when I see it.

I did physics at highschool, I know what you're thinking "what does that have to do with this?" but bare with me a second. There's one thing I remember from that class and I think it's just as important to logo design as it is to physics. There are two kinds of energy Potential (stored) or Kinetic (movement). IMO with a sports logo you need to convey one of those things for it to be a success. For example with your miner here he either has to be drawing the pick axe back/ or have it cocked over his shoulder ready to strike, and if that's the case we need to be able to tell the axe is heavy and hard to lift. Or he has to already be swinging it and we need to be able to see the speed at which the axe head is traveling, and that sucker should be moving! Cos a sports logo needs to push reality in the same way as comic book would. Things need to be identifiable but they need to be hyper real in order to make them believable.

Right now you've got a very well rendered image of a guy holding a pick axe, but to me that's all he's doing, HOLDING IT. Imagine if the flag in the Bucs logo was just hanging there, or the Detroit Lion was sleeping (which is what Lions do 90% of the time) both would still be factually accurate logos but they wouldn't have the same appeal.

Dont get me wrong I think it's a good start but in order to get the results your artworking talent deserves you need to push this and convey some energy and excitement. Go nuts make him, huge make that axe unliftable by a normal human and make him swing it with all his might, or be straining every sinew in preparation to hit that coal face. Push it til you think you've pushed it to far, then maybe push it some more because if you do, you'll end up with a fantastic logo that you can be really proud of.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Okay,some updates....

I worked with the hands and arms a bit, hopefully making them look more like he is swinging, rather than just holding, the pickaxe. Another thing that was making it not look right was the perspective on the chest area and the perspective on the arms were not even, hopefully I fixed that. Old on the left, new on the right.

WheelingLogos2.png

I feel like his left arm is just holding the axe. If you moved the elbow maybe angled out this would be perfect after you thickened up some lines.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, still trying to figure this one out. Here is an update though. Lines have been thickened, I have bulked up the miner / given him more muscle definition, made the mouth look less like a mustache, and adjusted the facial features to look slightly more to the left. Also, the pickaxe has been made larger. Comments and criticism are welcomed.

WheelingLogos718.png

New on the right of course

MegatronSig2.jpg

That looks much better, though I think you could even thicken up the strokes some more. I also think you could get rid of the darker sand color that you're using for shadowing right now. Just simplify everything as a whole. But I really like what you've done with this so far.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I think you could use more contrast between the two gold colors, especially on the face. You could probably get away with your highlight color being white. Or, you could ditch one of the colors all together, and use only the highlights to give the impression of the face. Hope that makes sense. Good looking WiP though.

Archived