World Yakball Cup

raysox

Like all the other designs it's beautiful, clean and represents the country well. I love the logo, but the stripes on the home jersey look a bit odd. I would move the piping up a bit so it meets at the collar, in the front at least. I guess you could move the piping on the away set as well, for symmetry.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brazil

I may or may not threw this together, but I was playing with shapes like the USA basketball logo. I liked the front rounded part, with another shape behind it. I put some design, and a yakball under it. Pretty self explanatory.

Brazil.png

I did a "nike fabulous" uniform! It's pretty similar to my Dallas uniform. I did a band running diagnally across the chest, then a sublimated pattern running down to the end of the uniform. I tried to balance yellow, green, and blue just like the soccer team. The clash matches the home, and colorwise matches the soccer team's clash.

BrazilUnis.png

First off, I just think it's incredibly cool that you've actually invented this sport! It looks like a pretty neat thing to play. The narrative of the international tournaments make for pretty fun reading, too, but of course we're all really here for the designs. Which are all top-notch. You've got quite the creative head on your shoulders!

I love the simplicity of a lot of your concepts, Canada and all three Asian teams in particular. Qatar is spot-on, the sash with the flag pattern gives it just the personality it needs, and the country's color scheme itself is just a pure gift. The broken adidas stripes on the Chinese and Japanese (and Argentinian, for that matter) arms look a little weird to me; I'm assuming there's some precedence for them in soccer kits, which you mentioned as a source of inspiration, but nevertheless it just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe if the stripes on the logo-less left arm were continuous? Just a thought.

Argentina and Brazil definitely have some great South American flair to their uniforms! I agree with BigBlue about Argentina's piping; it works great on the clash jersey, but it makes the top half of the home jersey look unnervingly empty when it's got the light blue stripes underneath. Argentina's stripes are so iconic, I feel like they need to be a little bit freer and more strongly utilized! Brazil looks just great, though. My gut reaction does want a little green in the clash jersey (maybe the sleeve cuffs?), but it really does look just great as is.

It looks like the goal creases have finally gotten a little love from other commenters, too, which is great, because I think they and your court designs as a whole are really neat! Qatar's goal crease is a thing of beauty (just like their uniforms, how about that), and to repeat myself, I wonder if perhaps Brazil's could use a little green, maybe green/blue stripes. Anyways, great series, I've really enjoyed following it as a CCSLC guest, and am excited to see where it goes! Really looking forward to Oceania; here's hoping the Aussies come out on top!

Ok, I've tried to just give it time to sink in but I still don't like the shape of the Japanese crest. It doesn't make much sense and feels very forced.

Maybe try a Mon or something more traditionally Japanese, that way it's still a unique shape but it'll be steeped in tradition. I like the idea of a Japanese Imperial kamon with a yakball in the center. IDK, thinking aloud here...

Brazil is perfect, and so is Argentina's road, but i think the home should have stripes outside of the bib, too.

I might update the Japan logo eventually, but until then.

AYL.png

The African tournament was wide open, the favorites were the host South Africa, but many teams had a strong shot at making the finals. With the lack of arenas in South Africa, the set up was different. Group A would play in Cape Town, and Group B in Durban. The final 4 would take place in Johannesburg. South Africa and Algeria faced off in the opening game in Cape Town. South Africa won by 8, and started the tournament off right. Egypt and the Ivory Coast played with the Egyptians rallying late and downing the upstart Ivory Coast team. Group B opened with the Cameroon team upsetting the Ugandan team with a big 3rd quarter. Kenya faced with their eyes set on beating the 40th ranked team in the world. They couldn?t close the game in the end and Tunisia won their first group game.

South Africa played the Egyptians trying to advance to the next round. They were successful with an 11 point win. Algeria and Ivory Coast were trying to set up a win-and-your-in game in the next round against Egypt, Algeria won handily setting up the showdown. Tunisia and Uganda played in Durban, and the Ugandans opened a 12 point lead and Tunisia never got within 4 the rest of the game. Kenya played Cameroon trying to earn their first win and tie up Group B 1-1. Kenya did win, setting the score for the 3rd game.

South Africa was already in the knockouts, and had the Ivory Coast between them and the knockouts. The starters were phased out with the lead at 15, and the Ivory Coast team went home with a 0-3 record. The climax of group B came with Algeria and Egypt playing to advance. The Egyptians had the lead in but the Algerians came back and won by 4 and set a date with the winner of group B. Uganda-Kenya, and Tunisia-Cameroon with each winner advancing to the knockout stage. Uganda took a 2 point lead into the 4th and stretched it to 12 before the final buzzer. Cameroon opened up a 8 point lead at half, and the Tunisian team slowly lowered the lead, and then passed the Cameroon team halfway through the 4th and never looked back.

South Africa and Tunisia matched up in Jo-Burg, and Mikel Mkandla led the South Africans to a victory with an 18 point performance. Uganda won group B, and faced Algeria looking for a finals appearance. Uganda?s barber pole uniforms were all over in their victory against the Algerians with a 7 point victory, which was never really close. The South Africans were looking to join China as a team winning their home tournament. They played their best game of the tournament, and sent the Ugandans home, and booked their ticket to the US.

Africa.png

South Africa

I sort of used a lot of elements I've done before. The logo has the protea, the national flower of South Africa. I designed a crest and put it on it. I made it stylized, and liked it. So it was pretty simple. The turf is the green color the team is.

SouthAfrica.png

I did this design for the soccer team during the world cup, and I liked it enough to bring it back! The design has the South African flag on it, which is one of the most unique flags in the world. I used the traditional yellow/green, green/yellow look like the soccer team

SouthAfricaUnis.png

South Africa's crest looks really sharp, nice work there, although I'm not really sold on the jerseys. There is just too much going on IMO, with the flag, the circled number, the crest and the manufacturing logo. Maybe you could replace the piping design with a horizontal stipe with the flag inside it.

spacer.png

The boomerang thing looks weird I would prefer if it terminated at the hem rather than deviating back into the center of the kit.

Is there an inspiration for that particular shape? perhaps I'm missing something. I like the rest of the design, just not how that feature ends.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it looks weird to have that thick black stroke around it. What if you just change it to some subtle stitching? (like on the shoulders)

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I agree with henburg that there's "too much going on." The front of the jersey just looks way too cluttered to me, between the stripe, the adidas logo, the national team logo, and the number inside the circle. I feel as though the stripe is what you want to be the defining feature, but even though my eye is certainly drawn to it first, all the stuff in the middle distracts and confuses it very quickly as far as what it wants to focus on. I think the number needs to either lose the circle, or maybe be moved so that it's not right in the center, and maybe lose the team crest as well. I do really like the outside-the-box thinking on this one, and I like your snake-like stripe, but I wonder if it might need to be a little "wavier," not exactly like the Dynamo shirt you're basing it off of, but somewhere in between that and what you have now. So those would be my suggestions! It's looking really good.

Archived