Design Laptops

CS85

My next laptop will either be the Microsoft Surface or a Lenovo ThinkPad. For everyday use, there's no better Windows laptop than a ThinkPad.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I have no doubts or misgivings that macs are fundamentally superior to windows for design purposes, but the cost is simply outrageous, plus I'd have to relearn all my hotkeys. Trivial, I know, but simply not my style.

i understand the price tag, but you dont have to buy brand new either. if you have the money to spend (you do looking at 1st post) though you may as well buy the best machine with best value. i dont want to get into a Apple vs Windows debate, but im experienced enough in both and i'll never buy another non-Apple computer. the hot keys and system navigation isnt a big deal. theres some things that are the same, some that are slightly different, and others you'll probably find you like better on Mac OS after using it a month. ill just put it this way, i dont know a single designer or former classmate who has ever said "yea the Apple stuff is nice, but im going back to Windows"

i cant really say what the best Windows machine is or how different ones run Adobe programs, but again my CS4+Snow Leopard combo on my Macbook Pro couldnt be any better. the new Macbook bodies are nicer though, id love to upgrade just for that.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I can vouch for Harry's comments regarding the lasting durability of Macs. I too had a G4 (go figure), got it gor free as a graduation gift from my school...I think it was an '05 model. That thing went with me to the Middle East and back?the only thing that slowed it down was the sheer amount of stuff I churned out on that thing over the years?never once quit on me, even after being infiltrated with desert dust. (Ever spilled flour before, or tossed some up on the air? Know how it settles on and coats/sticks to everything? That's how fine desert sand is.) Kept that thing until I finally got a MacBook. I'm sure that machine is still soldiering on?you'd have to ask illwauk, though, since he has it now.

On the other hand...I also own two PC laptops, one of which I've had only six months less than that G4. It's a Compaq Presario, and it actually was my primary design machine (obviously since it's mobile)?it too went with me to the desert and back, and in fact is with me in this Peterbilt right now. It's showing its age now, but it's also still soldiering on, which is something I couldn't have said about the HP notebook my Compaq replaced, or the Toshiba Satellite notebook I have which was supposed to replace the Compaq.

So yeah....there go my testimonials.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Not really any need to wait until October for windows 8. I think if you buy a new windows 7 computer now, it only costs like $10 for an upgrade. I'm actually looking at buying one of the HP Beats laptops now, just because I will be using it for music too.

Right off the bat he said he didn't want a mac, why push the issue? It doesn't make any difference. The reason I hate the whole mac vs pc debate is because people think "Oh you're a designer? go buy a mac". Does it make a person a better designer? no. I was easily one of the best designers in my graduating class, and I used a Dell. I've had classmates have the same battery, hard drive, power cord, and screen problems that PCs have. Most of the time the "hardcore" apple people just don't tell you about it.

Not really any need to wait until October for windows 8. I think if you buy a new windows 7 computer now, it only costs like $10 for an upgrade. I'm actually looking at buying one of the HP Beats laptops now, just because I will be using it for music too.

Right off the bat he said he didn't want a mac, why push the issue? It doesn't make any difference. The reason I hate the whole mac vs pc debate is because people think "Oh you're a designer? go buy a mac". Does it make a person a better designer? no. I was easily one of the best designers in my graduating class, and I used a Dell. I've had classmates have the same battery, hard drive, power cord, and screen problems that PCs have. Most of the time the "hardcore" apple people just don't tell you about it.

Windows 8 will be just fine on current software. However, I think we'll see a sea change in hardware to take advantage of Windows 8's touch features. So, in my view, the $1,000 laptop you buy today won't be as good as a $1,000 laptop that includes a touchscreen monitor in October.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

But if price is the only issue, there are avenues to skirt that, like refurbished machines.

At that point, you can buy one computer to last you ten years and spend $2000, or I could spend $1000, but I'll have to buy two of them to last me the full ten years. Each way has its own merits.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Wait?they're already on Windows 8???

Didn't Windows 7 just come out like a year ago??? :blink:

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It's a brave new world :)

This is what I'm waiting for:

It might not look like much, but that's a full Windows PC that's also completely mobile.

Archived