2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the Gray/Silver does is make the wordmark look out of focus compared to the number. It either makes no sense and was probably adidas' idea, or it hints that gray will appear more prominently on the shorts, or an alternate uniform. So either the Knicks failed to stand up to someone, or they're planning a huge terrible decision. We'll see.

edit: Instead of seeing the halved stripes as a gimmick or weird design idea, I'm starting to think they're trying to harken back to the old days of tighter looking uniforms. Their arm-holes used to be tighter, so the stripe under the arm got lost. By cutting the stripes off they're kind of achieving the same kind of affect, without telling every player to wear WNBA jerseys. I'm starting to come around on it with that in mind.

Ex:

jerry.west.jpg

btw for how long will adidas ruining the nba? I mean when that contract expires if somebody knows....

You act like adidas just dropped a shipment of uniforms off at the Knicks offices and said "here you go, hope you like 'em!".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is just as bad as the whole "Nike is ruining the NFL" that's going on a few threads over. Blame the Knicks for messing up their uniforms. I'm not sure why they decided adding silver would be an improvement. At least with black you have the excuse of selling black t-shirts and sweatshirts and having it be on the uniforms. And the shoulder cuffs look horrible. I don't think it's a performance advantage since it looks like there's just a plain white cuff of the same material on the lower half of the loop. Putting silver outlining on the wordmark but not numbers looks bad too. Definitely a downgrade.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Seems to me that they added grey to the uniform to be consistent with their new(er) logo which is also a downgrade. Just because a color is in the logo, it doesn't mean it has to be on the uniform.

i think there are some unfair critiques on the knicks here.

as for the boring factor, i think you have to see the whole ensemble tomorrow. the plain white does look boring now, but some of that should be off set by shorts striping, logo, etc.

two things i don't like are the new wordmark and the shade of orange. the wordmark is a downgrade. i don't really understand the necessity for the change. and the need for the orange to be lightened is really evident on a more plain jersey.

as far as the grey, it'd barely noticeable, so i'm not going to kill them on that. in a perfect world, would it be there? no, but still...not going to lose my head over it.

sig2024.png

If you really wanted to do a Subway uniform, you would have taken design cues from the modern New York Subway that people actually use, have grown up with, and recognize around the country, the one with colored dots and Helvetica and all that. This just feels like they wanted to do All Black Everything and retconned it as "I saw some old subway signs once. Brooklyn."

I dont get that feeling at all. I understand that the current signage is something that most relates to our generation but I dont believe that makes the older ones any less relevant to that area and the subway's history. If anything I give the Nets credit for not going the obvious route and chose to dig a little deeper. At least they'd like it to appear that way.

I don't think those uniforms are timeless at all. The heat-press-style number font makes it look like an '80s rec team, the crewneck collar is dated (though other teams are still using it) and the thin pants piping looks old fashioned to me. Not classic, just old. I know that the Celtics have essentially the same formula, but it works better with two colors rather than three, and their font is more of a classic style.

I don't think the gray is a big deal in the new ones. Possibly unnecessary, but I think that blue, gray, and orange really work well together. We'll see how it actually looks when better pics emerge. At worst, it's benign. At best, it's a nice accent. In reality, many people might not even notice it.

I like using the new ball logo over that KNICKS 3d over ball thing. That's just horrible. I hope it's not on the new shorts.

The underarm design is rather pointless. I'm curious if there was a real reason (maybe there's a panel there that's material couldn't support a stripe or something) or if it was purely aesthetic. Either way, it's kinda dumb.

The shape of the wordmark is by far the most jarring thing about these. I don't understand the need to change it. There's a classic "pitch" (for lack of the technical term) to these types of things, and they've gone and messed that up. It's like it's straght but bent, rather than arched naturally. Just baffling. Of course, need to wait to see it all together.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived