2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

So they can do the split lettering for the cavs, but the grizzlers they couldn't anymore?

Someone touched on this somewhere on a previous page on this thread, but it's likely only because these are a limited run of jerseys. (Though I also do still wish adidas could reproduce the line-throughs for Memphis, myself.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they can do the split lettering for the cavs, but the grizzlers they couldn't anymore?

For a one-time deal, they can make an exception. But to make it full time, it's much more difficult. It can be done, but adidas won't just because of the extra work it requires

Those were two awful pieces of uniform design.. Though the Sixers jersey is on its own level. A gradient on top of a gradient, really? Ugh..

It's so terrible I want to see it one more time

Go A's!

For a one-time deal, they can make an exception. But to make it full time, it's much more difficult. It can be done, but adidas won't just because of the extra work it requires

Hard to imagine that it couldn't be done for the on court jerseys, it's not like they make that many, is it? Is the issue the large number of fan "authentics" that would need to be made?

Hard to imagine that it couldn't be done for the on court jerseys, it's not like they make that many, is it? Is the issue the large number of fan "authentics" that would need to be made?

It can be done, but because of the manufacturing of the numbers where they're all raised, it will require extra detail and attention and I just don't think adidas wants to make that effort when mass producing the jerseys.

Go A's!

Suns 2013-14 colors (in order of importance):

suns_2013-14_zpsd4998139.png

(these are the RGBs from Illustrator CS4s Pantones, fwiw. D-Moore will do these much more accurately i'm sure ;))

You're missing Black, but those are pretty close.

It can be done, but because of the manufacturing of the numbers where they're all raised, it will require extra detail and attention and I just don't think adidas wants to make that effort when mass producing the jerseys.

So it's like I said? Because outfitting a team with jerseys is not "mass producing". Sounds like they're compromising the actual team's jerseys just so they can save money/effort in manufacturing fan apparel. Kind of lame.

So it's like I said? Because outfitting a team with jerseys is not "mass producing". Sounds like they're compromising the actual team's jerseys just so they can save money/effort in manufacturing fan apparel. Kind of lame.

Outfitting all NBA teams is not mass producing? I just don't think adidas wants to change their assembly line system just for one team. I don't think it has anything to do with merhandising

Go A's!

Outfitting all NBA teams is not mass producing? I just don't think adidas wants to change their assembly line system just for one team. I don't think it has anything to do with merhandising

Yeah, I would say a handful of home and road jerseys individualized for each of 30 odd teams and subindividualized for each of a dozen players is not 'mass production' in the sense that printing up thousands of LeBron jerseys for fans is mass production.

If a team equipment manager is involved...it's not really mass production, at least not in the sense that a franchise in a multimillion dollar league shouldn't be able to customize its number font the way it wants. I doubt that sewing individualized shirts for a handful of 7 ft giants can be considered mass production, and it seems absurd that the added cost of complicated numbers means anything when we're talking a half dozen jerseys for guys who get millions in salaries.

It seems much more likely that the manufacturers don't want to spend extra to put fancy numbers on a thousand Rudy Gay fan jerseys and have them go to waste when he's traded. It's got to be negligible to put fancy numbers on a few jerseys for Marc Gasol and his actual teammates, especially when they're already being customized to their freakish proportions.

and given the price of the authentic jerseys, it's a little hypocritical/greedy IMO to cut corners; the profit margin seems plenty big to begin with...

Yeah, I would say a handful of home and road jerseys individualized for each of 30 odd teams and subindividualized for each of a dozen players is not 'mass production' in the sense that printing up thousands of LeBron jerseys for fans is mass production.

If a team equipment manager is involved...it's not really mass production, at least not in the sense that a franchise in a multimillion dollar league shouldn't be able to customize its number font the way it wants. I doubt that sewing individualized shirts for a handful of 7 ft giants can be considered mass production, and it seems absurd that the added cost of complicated numbers means anything when we're talking a half dozen jerseys for guys who get millions in salaries.

It seems much more likely that the manufacturers don't want to spend extra to put fancy numbers on a thousand Rudy Gay fan jerseys and have them go to waste when he's traded. It's got to be negligible to put fancy numbers on a few jerseys for Marc Gasol and his actual teammates, especially when they're already being customized to their freakish proportions.

and given the price of the authentic jerseys, it's a little hypocritical/greedy IMO to cut corners; the profit margin seems plenty big to begin with...

My view on mass production is not the jersey, rather the making of the fabric. Plus, the fabric used for replicas are different than the authentics, so I don't see correlation since reproducing the line in the replicas is easier to do.

And one more thing I forgot to mention. I am sure the Grizzlies had some say in this too, so if they OK'd it, then it's really on them for letting it happen

Go A's!

My view on mass production is not the jersey, rather the making of the fabric. Plus, the fabric used for replicas are different than the authentics, so I don't see correlation since reproducing the line in the replicas is easier to do.

And one more thing I forgot to mention. I am sure the Grizzlies had some say in this too, so if they OK'd it, then it's really on them for letting it happen

Yeah, that makes sense. But aren't the numbers kind of a separate process than the jersey fabric themselves? My speculation was that the real issue was the reproduction for the fan "authentics" or replithentics or swingman...we all know that accuracy on the "replicas" has never been a big concern for manufacturers!

I agree on blaming the Grizzlies...I blame them for a lot of things.

Yeah, that makes sense. But aren't the numbers kind of a separate process than the jersey fabric themselves? My speculation was that the real issue was the reproduction for the fan "authentics" or replithentics or swingman...we all know that accuracy on the "replicas" has never been a big concern for manufacturers!

I agree on blaming the Grizzlies...I blame them for a lot of things.

Remember, the numbers on the Grizzlies' jerseys are navy and white, which are used by other teams in the NBA, so I think that adidas doesn't want to make any extra effort in making a complete separate set over just taking the number fabric they already have for a handful of teams.

Either way, it makes sense to take away the original Grizzlies design in adidas' eyes. That doesn't mean I like it. But what are you going to do when you come up with a template and generalize it for the entire league?

Go A's!

Suns 2013-14 colors (in order of importance):

suns_2013-14_zpsd4998139.png

(these are the RGBs from Illustrator CS4s Pantones, fwiw. D-Moore will do these much more accurately i'm sure ;))

You're missing Black, but those are pretty close.

So with white, that makes eight. Yikes.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Eh.

lDFC4kK.png

However, the Suns could pull off having a uniform with eight colors, obviously something the Blackhawks couldn't do outside of a logo.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Apparently these are the new alternate uniforms for the Golden State Warriors. They... have sleeves.

BC11R6mCIAEhfiJ.png

I'm surprised this didn't get rolled out at the college level first. There always seem to be college kids who like wearing sleeves under their uni. Anyhoo, I actually like it...probably because it looks like a soccer kit.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/files/2013/02/GSW-adidas-Harrison-Barnes-1.jpg

This was already a bad idea, but it was compounded due to the fact only the shorts have pinstripes. Not a good look at all, and I'm predicting that in the future, we'll be talking about these uniforms like we do the LA Kings' "burger king" jerseys or the White Sox' experiment with shorts.

Archived