2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

This is cool. This marks the first time that "throwback" refers to the uniforms I remember watching/wearing as a child. Its only a matter of time before I hear Nirvana and Pearl Jam on a classic rock station. These are the only two unis that this set is missing: 2003136146.jpgp1granthill.jpg

And I'd personally love to see these, but I understand that they don't evoke a ton of excitement in the rest of the country, and its not an era the Blazers front office really wants to revisit . . . .

elite-daily-damon-stoudamire.jpg

I would simply like to add this one to that equation.

30tsavl.jpg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Pacers set is NOT insanely classic. It ain't even halfway classic.

FloJo...THAT was insanely classic. Why didn't they reincarnate those for this promotion??? :cursing:

You're just wrong, Buc. :P These are just plain beautiful:

pacers15_display_image.jpg

The lettering on them looks like mud. I'm glad we're slowly emerging from the dark days of multiple outlines. Other than that it was a nice uniform.

The FloJos were decent, but highly overrated.

They were, at least, better than this eyesore:

three-point-shootout.jpg

I think that's a great design element and a great color scheme. The lettering and such needs to be re-built so that it looks a bit cleaner than this 80s attempt, but the bones of this uniform convey 'Pacers' to me more than any of their classic attempts or the FloJos. It gives them a unique identity, and for whatever reason I just prefer this look to the FloJo uniform.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The FloJos are still my favorite (though even those would need a few tweaks here and there to be used today). The one at the bottom there is okay, I guess, but I prefer the Pacers in navy/yellow with royal/yellow left to the Warriors. And yeah, that script looks like it would be on a generic AC adapter from Radio Shack or something. The pinstripes are an effort to do Olde Tyme Indiana Basketball using a design vocabulary that I don't think ever existed in the first place, and they always clashed with the properly progressive Pacers primary.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

A thought crossed my mind after reading the NHL Winter Classic thread. Besides giving college football a run for percentage of alts used, is it possible these NBA "winter court" jerseys are setting the stage for color vs. color? It'd be hard to claim any confusion if you are playing monochrome red vs. monochrome blue.

Wouldn't it be interesting/terrible if in a few years the only consistent identifying mark between all of the throwbacks / monochromes / fanatic / heritage / holiday alts is that 2.5x2.5 ad square?

The pinstripes are an effort to do Olde Tyme Indiana Basketball using a design vocabulary that I don't think ever existed in the first place, and they always clashed with the properly progressive Pacers primary.

The pinstripe unis were designed by Old Navy, right? Am I remembering that right?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The #12 isn't a Piston uniform is it? Well it reminds me of the bubblegum cards that couldn't use the logos in the picture or some kind of ad.

It's not a Pistons uni that was around when the Heat was a young franchise. Not sure what it is.

It was probably a placeholder that was used because the Heat hadn't unveiled their identity, like OKC used for awhile after moving from Seattle.

Except the Heat jersey is right there. My guess was NBA 3-point champ that was unemployed but allowed to compete, like Craig Hodges later. He wore a similarly, but not as, generic jersey. But... the link says he is the only non-NBA player to ever compete in the 3-point contest. So there you go.

Wow, major brain fart on my part. I was also assuming this was a draft pic. I would say you're right.

And as for the Pacers debate, FloJos by a slight margin over the pinstripes, although both are great IMO. With a name like "Pacers" the styling of the FloJos works better than the classic pinstripes and block lettering.

The pinstripes are an effort to do Olde Tyme Indiana Basketball using a design vocabulary that I don't think ever existed in the first place, and they always clashed with the properly progressive Pacers primary.

The pinstripe unis were designed by Old Navy, right? Am I remembering that right?

Yep. There were some redesigns of the FloJo's in the works (one supposedly added a Light Blue to the design), but they surprisingly went with a design by Old Navy instead.

The lettering on them looks like mud. I'm glad we're slowly emerging from the dark days of multiple outlines. Other than that it was a nice uniform.

Even close up, those unis were muddy:

IndianaPacers_UNS1a_1998-2005_SCC_SRGB.png

IndianaPacers_UNS2a_1998-2005_SCC_SRGB.png

IndianaPacers_UNS3a_2000-2005_SCC_SRGB.png

I've been a Pacers fan since the ABA days, but those Old Navy unis were my least favorite.

Yep. There were some redesigns of the FloJo's in the works (one supposedly added a Light Blue to the design), but they surprisingly went with a design by Old Navy instead.

Any pics? I'd be interested to see what those looked like.

That Pacers set is NOT insanely classic. It ain't even halfway classic.

FloJo...THAT was insanely classic. Why didn't they reincarnate those for this promotion??? :cursing:

You're just wrong, Buc. :P These are just plain beautiful:

pacers15_display_image.jpg

The FloJos were decent, but highly overrated.

I'd say the two jerseys are pretty close in quality but it just makes more sense to use the uniforms worn for the majority of the 90's for a 90's throwback.

Those pinstriped Pacers uniforms are AWFUL. Literally look like something you'd see on a rack in the kids department at Old Navy.

How in the hell did they even end up having godd:censored:mn Old Navy design their uniforms? Ridiculous.

Did anyone else notice that, in the 2012-13 catalogue, the Heat's alternate has no name on the back?

Interesting....I think there's a rule against having no NOB though.

http://whosbestnbateam.blogspot.com/

On the hill we view the silence of the valley, Called to witness cycles only of the past, And we reach all this with movements in between the said remark

Close to the edge, down by the river, Down at the end, round by the corner

Seasons will pass you by, Now that it's all over and done, called to the seed, right to the sun, Now that you find now that you're whole

Seasons will pass you by, I get up, I get down -Yes

You guys see the new Nike commercial which included the new bobcats jerseys? Shows an American and a Chinese kid growing up, going to college and being rivals at Georgetown/UNC, being drafted in 2029, and the American kid hoisting the championship trophy in the new "Cats" home jersey.

A lot of staying power for a terrible jersey if it's around in 2030. The good news is...I didn't see an ad on the jersey! Seriously though, I wonder if the choice of bobcats is the mj connection

You guys see the new Nike commercial which included the new bobcats jerseys? Shows an American and a Chinese kid growing up, going to college and being rivals at Georgetown/UNC, being drafted in 2029, and the American kid hoisting the championship trophy in the new "Cats" home jersey.

A lot of staying power for a terrible jersey if it's around in 2030. The good news is...I didn't see an ad on the jersey! Seriously though, I wonder if the choice of bobcats is the mj connection

It's a Jordan Brand commercial so I'm sure they picked the Bobcats and UNC for that exact reason. Georgetown, Cal and Marquette are also Jordan schools if I remember correctly. Which are all shown somewhere in the commercial.

YouTube

This is probably pointless but one thing I've never understood about commercials/movies that are giving us a glimpse of the "future". Why are do the TVs, phones, laptops have transparent screens? seems like it would make it very difficult to use them.

Archived