2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a reason Houston is already getting the All Star Game again? It's been less than 10 years since their last one right? And I believe it was even the same new(ish) arena.

I've been told the NBA has all sorts of regulations surrounding hosting the All-Star Game that turns a lot of teams away from bidding for it - this was MLSE's explanation for their lack of trying to get the Raptors to host an ASG in the past

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Is there a reason Houston is already getting the All Star Game again? It's been less than 10 years since their last one right? And I believe it was even the same new(ish) arena.

I've been told the NBA has all sorts of regulations surrounding hosting the All-Star Game that turns a lot of teams away from bidding for it - this was MLSE's explanation for their lack of trying to get the Raptors to host an ASG in the past

A lot of it I'm sure has to do with market size. The NBA is filled with mid-sized U.S. metro areas that lack the requisite number of luxury hotel rooms necessary to accommodate an all-star game. That's why Portland has always been overlooked. It's the same reason a Memphis or Sacramento or Milwaukee haven't hosted one. Yet it doesn't explain why a market like Charlotte -- which is preparing to host the Democratic National Convention -- hasn't hosted one since the early '90s.

Man, they are really bringing the Star in All-Star out with this year's branding. Stars everywhere. How creative

Yeah, when's someone going to do an all-star logo with no stars? It's so totally obvious.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The NBA is filled with mid-sized U.S. metro areas that lack the requisite number of luxury hotel rooms necessary to accommodate an all-star game. That's why Portland has always been overlooked. It's the same reason a Memphis or Sacramento or Milwaukee haven't hosted one.

I think Grantland did a piece a while ago on how black America descended upon Memphis for a Tyson fight at the Pyramid. The author gave the distinct impression that Memphis was over its head as a host city.

Look at how that mascot has some sort of uncomfortably perpendicular boner. There's gonna be a Pedobear parody before the day is done.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think Grantland did a piece a while ago on how black America descended upon Memphis for a Tyson fight at the Pyramid. The author gave the distinct impression that Memphis was over its head as a host city.

I just remember everything going into that fight being so bizare. The eat your kids comment. The fight annoucement press conference. And why the hell Memphis? I get the fight couldn't be in Vegas, but how far down the list did they have to go to in order to get to Memphis? Was Buffalo booked?

I don't think anything could top Shelby, Montana in terms of the strangest location ever for a world title fight, but that's up there. Especially when you consider that its been argubly the last mega fight at the heavyweight level in the U.S.

As for the Rockets mascot, I have no idea what a bear has to do with Rockets, but I'm not asking either. That rendering does look creepy as hell though.

You have to want the All-Star Game in your city in order to host it. Just going from memory, but I think it was Philadelphia that was completely turned off by the lack of control they had on their own venue for the All-Star Game and said they wouldn't want to host again.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The extremely underwhelming AS13 alternate logos:

AS13-alt-logos.png

and also a general idea (obv. the real ones will be more detailed) of the AS13 unis via the mascot logo:

AS13-mascot.png

i'm sure it's been said, but i still want to reiterate: "Houston, we have a problem (with this design package)."

The logos aren't necessarily bad, kinda just underwhelming.

And does anyone know who's designing those uniforms by any chance?

Man, they are really bringing the Star in All-Star out with this year's branding. Stars everywhere. How creative

Yeah, when's someone going to do an all-star logo with no stars? It's so totally obvious.

Already done:

7fox7wf9y4xf2t9vitztng58o.gif

Either way you've missed the point

2013, Its all just stars. 3 stars shooting out of one big star, and a ball.

The 2008 NBA ASG logo, the late 90's, early 2000's NBA ASG logos -- these are something to aspire to. These newer designs are significant downgrades, lacking creativity.

Anyways, I'm saying look at the MLB ASG logos. Great stuff there too. These are just uninspired.

has anyone heard any whispers on the nets design? i know lukas has seen it, and he said be prepared to be surprised. just curious if anyone had seen it and can shed some light.

I believe he made that comment before anyone had seen the logos, so it made sense at the time, but I don't know that it applies any longer.

nah, it was after they unveiled the logos (technically, it was in his blog post the same day he covered the unveil). so i guess we shall see.

I thought he made that assertion when he visited the league offices for his annual viewing of their new stuff, which was well before the Nets unveil. I can't remember.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Interesting item from the New York Times feature on Jay-Z's involvement with the Nets:

He helped design the team logos and choose the team?s stark black-and-white color scheme, and personally appealed to National Basketball Association officials to drop their objections to it (the N.B.A., according to a person with knowledge of the discussion, thought that African-American athletes did not look good on TV in black, an assertion that a league spokesman adamantly denied).

I'd never heard of an objection to any color scheme along those lines before.

saw the same thing. found it really interesting. also said how him and "his graphic designer" did the logo, which would surprise me that the NBA wasn't involved at least a little bit in development.

The NBA is always involved. I don't know how much (if any) identity and uniform development the league itself does in-house, or how much the teams themselves do in-house, but the teams and the league obviously have to approve everything (the article stated Jay-Z had to personally appeal the league to drop their objections to the black and white color scheme). adidas does a lot of this type of work due to its relationship with the NBA, but I think it's really up to each team how they approach such things (whether to use adidas to do their identity work or go down another avenue).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You have to want the All-Star Game in your city in order to host it. Just going from memory, but I think it was Philadelphia that was completely turned off by the lack of control they had on their own venue for the All-Star Game and said they wouldn't want to host again.

Yeah that's when the Flyers owned them. They were really turned off by the entire process and vowed they'd never host it again.

Of course there's new owners now, so things could be different.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Looks like these are the new Knicks jerseys, home set: via Knicks team store.

Initial impressions - I like the removal of black (though I can't tell if the black trim has been removed from the sides, I assume it has) but I'm not too thrilled about the alterations to the wordmark. Don't understand what was wrong with the arched text as it was, and had been for decades. It's a small change, but noticeable. Hopefully I'll grow to like it, or at least not hate it.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Am I missing something here? That looks exactly the same as what they've been wearing.

Yes, as far as I know, that's not anything new there.

Yeah that's when the Flyers owned them. They were really turned off by the entire process and vowed they'd never host it again.

Of course there's new owners now, so things could be different.

It also is impossible to make it a perk for your prime customers, the season ticket holders, at least according to Mark Cuban. He said he'd only do it at Cowboys Stadium because it was the only way he could guarantee any Mavericks STH who wanted a ticket could go.

The extremely underwhelming AS13 alternate logos:

AS13-alt-logos.png

and also a general idea (obv. the real ones will be more detailed) of the AS13 unis via the mascot logo:

AS13-mascot.png

i'm sure it's been said, but i still want to reiterate: "Houston, we have a problem (with this design package)."

Why is that bear saluting Hitler? That bear's a jerk!

Follow my attempts to rid the world of the evil that is Laura Dern @LDisadirtbag.

My dog Folsom has a Twitter that's nothing but pictures of him pooping and sharing what he likes @folsomcanpoop.

If that's not enough, I have my own Twitter @DieZombieScum.

Archived